PDA

View Full Version : Hello Newbie here!

Pine
03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Hello Everyone!
Greetings from Canada!

I am new to the area of Aquaponics, however, I have been experimenting with many aquaria over the years with different plants and fish. Also I have a 400 gallon koi pond that I dug out 2 years ago and it has been running steady ever since through 2 harsh snowy winters.

My new Aquaponics project I plan to set up is a simple system of a 15 gallon aquarium pumping into a 10 gallon tote via a ECO185 pump. The tote will contain 10 inches of clay pebbles. I will build a 9 inch bell siphon to drain the water 1 inch below the top of the gravel. I have a large grow light that is hung above and will provide plenty of lighting for the plants. The tank is currently running with 2 air stones and 3 filters to get rid of all the chlorine etc in the water. I will continue this process for a few days until I acquire the clay pebbles. From here I will cycle the system with plants but without fish for 4 weeks or so until I see that the nitrogen cycle is working properly. Then i will slowly add a fish every 2 or 3 days obeying the 1 inch of fish per 10 gallon rule.

I will upload pictures soon, just want to get some input as to any problems with my system.

Any help is gladly appreciated :)

davidstcldfl
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi Pine,welcometo the forum... :)

JCO
03-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in your city and state as there may be members close by.:mrgreen:

rfeiller
03-16-2011, 09:44 PM
welcome to the forum

urbanfarmer
03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Hello and welcome!