PDA

View Full Version : Hydroton Dust?

wh33t
03-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Is it bad for my fish?

I figured I had washed the clay pretty good, but my tank is now super cloudy after one Flood and Drain cycle!

GreenPhoenix
03-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Don't worry about it.... The dust will settle out after a few days. The last system of mine that I put Hydroton in was cloudy for almost a week, and then it cleared up wonderfully.

Green Phoenix

wh33t
03-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Don't worry about it.... The dust will settle out after a few days. The last system of mine that I put Hydroton in was cloudy for almost a week, and then it cleared up wonderfully.

Green Phoenix

Sweet man. Thank you for answering.

urbanfarmer
03-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Some fish like the clay dust. It makes them feel safe, which lowers their stress and they are healthier for it! :mrgreen:

wh33t
03-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Some fish like the clay dust. It makes them feel safe, which lowers their stress and they are healthier for it! :mrgreen:

Nice. Maybe I will periodically throw some in the tank!

keith_r
03-15-2011, 06:09 AM
you can clean the dust out by whipping an egg or two up and adding to the tank.. that will suspend the particles.. i've also seen folks put a sock over their growbed drains for a few days to filter out the "dust"

wh33t
03-15-2011, 01:58 PM
you can clean the dust out by whipping an egg or two up and adding to the tank.. that will suspend the particles.. i've also seen folks put a sock over their growbed drains for a few days to filter out the "dust"

Whipping an Egg? Like an uncooked omelet? Do you put that in the tank or in the flower bed?

stucco
03-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Not sure but, I think that only works with the egg whites

keith_r
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
right in the tank, shells and all, uncooked.. the egg whites will suspend the particles, the shells will slowly dissolve and add calcium (carbonate i think) the yolks, eh... no benefit that i know of but nothing that hurt my system either

wh33t
03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
right in the tank, shells and all, uncooked.. the egg whites will suspend the particles, the shells will slowly dissolve and add calcium (carbonate i think) the yolks, eh... no benefit that i know of but nothing that hurt my system either

Will the fish eat it? I'm going to have free range chickens in my back yard too. I like where this is going.

urbanfarmer
03-15-2011, 08:43 PM

Nice. Maybe I will periodically throw some in the tank!

The dust usually collects at the bottom of the grow bed and some in the bottom of the fish tank. You can just "stir it up baby"

wh33t
03-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Nice, I shall do that periodically while listening to that Bob Marley track "Stir it up".

urbanfarmer
03-15-2011, 11:46 PM
:lol: