PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and aquaponics. building in basement now

BasementGardener
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi all,
I have been watching videos, probably some of you guys on youtube for quite a while now. I decided to take the plunge and have started building my Aquaponic Basement Garden. It will eventually be 200 gallons and have a second level of NFT tubes. I am going to start kind of slow with it and see how things go before I add the rest. I love to garden and this system will allow me to grow all year long. My basement never gets below about 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I will have to get the hang of posting pictures on here. Till I do so here is a link to my Aquaponic Basement Garden (http://Aquaponicbasementgarden.blogspot.com) blog. I am documenting the construction and I will have questions for you all as I work on it. Feel free to comment or post suggestions.
Think I might have figured out the image posting and linking.
[attachment=0:4eolnrkl]copy.jpg[/attachment:4eolnrkl]
[attachment=1:4eolnrkl]030611154925.jpg[/attachment:4eolnrkl]

jcx
03-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the forum, nice cups = ))

(Kinda feel like that looks like I'm mocking you. I'm not, I'm a fellow red cup user.)

BasementGardener
03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Saw someone on Youtube use the cups instead of buying the pots. I figure if it works it works and I like to save money.

rfeiller
03-07-2011, 10:56 PM
welcome to the forum

JCO
03-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

BasementGardener
03-08-2011, 10:24 PM
I found a livestock tank for only $49 today. It is 110 gallon and is much better than the 55 gallon glass tank I was going to use. I got it at a Tractor supply place. Very thick heavy duty plastic. Now I'm trying to find a good pump and I will be close to starting it up.

JCO
03-09-2011, 05:56 AM
We are definitely glad you have become a member of the forum. We can never have enough interested, enthusiastic folks and not meaning to be rude, however the thread "A Place To Say Hello" is just that, a place to introduce yourself and where you are from and what your plans are. After you have done that, Please, you should pick an appropriate topic and start your own thread. :mrgreen:

badflash
03-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Get an Intex pool pump, the small one. Only 80 watts and it puts out 10 GPM at 7' of head. Just take out the filter.

Before you add water, get some white non-toxic paint and paint the inside. Black makes it real hard to see the fish.

dufflight
03-09-2011, 09:25 PM
In the second photo if the clear tube is just for air then it doesn't matter. If its for water then I'd change the brass for plastic.

urbanfarmer
03-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Hello and welcome! :mrgreen: