PDA

View Full Version : system nutrients?

cedarswamp
02-25-2011, 06:23 AM
I understand that the bio filter provides the nitrogen for the plants but where do phosphorus, potasium, and the trace nutrients come into play? I've been under the impression that a well balanced system would be pretty self sufficient with minimal outside influence.Is this the case or are we required to add additional nutrients to the water?

keith_r
02-25-2011, 06:52 AM
the only thing i've added was maxicrop with iron, about a cap full every 2 to 3 weeks.. and i buried a half a banana in each growbed.. i'm going to put some eggshells in my gb's as well
sea salt (if you salt for a fish problems) contain some trace elements

there are far more knowledgable (or is that opinionated? :shock: ) on the forum, hang on for more info

:lol:

badflash
02-25-2011, 08:39 AM
The rest comes from fish poop. If the fiood doesn't contain the nutrients, you might need to suppliment.

cedarswamp
02-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys. Fish poop huh? Sounds logical enough. I guess in thinking there was some kind of magic involed with all this I overlooked the obvious. LOL :lol:

keith_r
02-25-2011, 01:05 PM
yup, fish poop.. thats why it;s important to provide a good diet (pellets) to the fish, many aquarium fish foods provide just enough nut's to keep the fish alive