PDA

View Full Version : Grass filter idea.

jcx
02-25-2011, 02:03 AM
I have a 20 gal rubber maid tub with 26 lil convict cichlids. Getting a little sick of doing so many water changes so I'm thinking of hooking up some kind of aquaponics filter. What I'm thinking of doing is removing the blue carbon filter from my fish tank filter and running the water into a plastic wicker basket full of rocks with grass growing out of it. I'm planing on setting the wicker basket on a half cinder block and just letting the water run into it, not sure how well that is going to work.

If anyone has any ideas on how to rig up a small system or a better plant than grass to put in it for nitrogen removal let me know = )

Here is a picture of the tank.

rfeiller
02-25-2011, 06:06 AM
you can remove the nitrogen, but the fish will be stunted by the hormons in the water that the plants can't remove.

looks like the tank is only half full of water. ever heard of bonsai koi, it's where the breeder crowds the young koi. once over crowded for a period of time they release them on the market where they will never reach their full size potential.

badflash
02-25-2011, 08:41 AM
I use Najas and Duckweed, both aquatic plants. Hornwort also works well. When they get to thick, I pull out a bunch and feed it to my tilapia.

JCO
02-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Do not use the concrete block. It will release unwanted minerals into the water :mrgreen:

jcx
02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Water level is normally higher I was in the middle of a water change when I took the picture.

Think it is even worth using a Aquaponic filter for such a small tank?

keith_r
02-26-2011, 08:26 AM
if you could set up a shelf above the fishtank, you could put a growbed up above and drain right into the ft.. i've seen some "window" systems like that producting nice amounts of herbs and such

urbanfarmer
02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Watercress is good :mrgreen:

jcx
02-28-2011, 04:33 AM
I made a little grow bed with a bell syphon. For some reason I thought a small syphon would be harder to get running good, But its running great now! Ended up with cucumbers in it.

I have never used normal rocks as a grow medium or grown cucumbers, anyone see any problems with this set up?

[video:idoiyybs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUJXEz8ZyXw[/video:idoiyybs]

urbanfarmer
03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
What is your pH? Cucumbers grow roots like crazy, and that looks like not a lot of space to me. Assuming you have enough light, that looks good.

jcx
03-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Ph is 6.0 to 6.5. My dip tester needs to be calibrated so I'm just guessing with water drops.

I got a 1000 watt in a parabolic hood in that room it's already rooting like mad, I'll sure that will become a problem later. Are cucumbers seasonal or can I keep it alive for longer?

urbanfarmer
03-04-2011, 05:35 PM
It is classified as an annual, but you can extend the growing season inside substantially.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CUSA4

jcx
03-07-2011, 09:50 PM
my baby is growing!

I named him Herbert.

urbanfarmer
05-13-2011, 09:11 PM
How goes the grow jcx? I hope you haven't "snapped" and skinned your plants and fish only to wear them as masks and pretend you were them... I fear for Herbert's well being...

hooksbob
05-31-2011, 11:12 PM
with regard to grass as a filter, has anyone tried constant flow with papyrus? It's really nice looking, and loves the water. Just a thought on the filtration side if high nitrates are a problem.