PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New Jersey

cedarswamp
02-23-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm a total AP noob, was researching hydproponics to set up a small basement system for growing lettuce, and stumbled into the concept of AP.I was begining to get frustrated with the lack of easy to understand information available on the net about AP when I found your site and finally found the sort of information I was looking for.Thankyou.

My current plan is to use a 55 gallon aquarium I have for the tank, going through an external DIY bio filter feeding a DIY ebb and flow. I plan to run CF through the filter back to the tank, and controling the ebb and flow cycles with a solinoid off of that line. Makes sense to me in theory anyway.

I'm a plumber by trade and have been an avid soil gardener and tropical fish hobbyist most of my life so I probably know enough to get me in trouble with this project. LOL

Thanks again for the great site.

Gary

keith_r
02-23-2011, 07:00 AM
welcome to the madness gary
i have 3 55 gal tanks on my basement floor with one pair of growbeds, we're still frozen outside, but my lettuce, carrots and green onions are taking off, just using t8 shop lights (3 pairs)
good luck and ask lots of questions,, we like pic's too

JCO
02-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.

Please go back to your profile and put in the city where you live. There may be members close by.:mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
02-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

rfeiller
02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the forum.

cedarswamp
02-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome folks.

Keith, I'll try to photo document my build as I go along, I'm still in the research/planning stage.

JCO, I think I updated my profile now, I didn't want to try that from the Blackberry this morning but wanted to see if I could post from it (some sites I can't). Now I'll never get any work done. :lol:

FarmerDoug
10-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm glad I found this site today. Prior to signing up here I have been operating a medium sized aquaponics system in South New Jersey. The rewards have been so great in the past year we are really looking towards where this technique will take us. So far we have personally setup approximately 1200 gallons of water, 980 lbs. of grow media, and one greenhouse. The fuel to make all this successful is our batch of Blue Nile Tilapia. I've been sharing what I know with all interested, which happily included two small 55 gallon systems in a Philadelphia highschool.

hungmap95132
04-21-2017, 04:37 PM
FarmerDoug,

How is you aquaponics system doing? I just got introduced to aquaponics not too long ago and would like to see fellow aquaponics in the area who are willing to share that knowledge and experience. Thank you