PDA

View Full Version : breeding operatiion

mpugh5@aol.com
04-02-2009, 04:17 PM
picked up a 75 gallon aquarium today add that to the two fifty gallon tanks and i'm just that much closer to setting up my breeding operation. this is going to be a long trip. :arrow: :idea: 8-)

badflash
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
What will you breed?

mpugh5@aol.com
04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
What will you breed?
hopefully talapia,everything else will be on it's own. i've decided to construct a 5x10x4-5' pond out of block and board insulation with a pool liner in the green house built partially into the ground . this one will be unheated outside of the heat in the greenhouse. i figure either catfish or yellow perch. i am picking up a 12vdc aerator tomorrow for my trip to wappingers falls n.y. 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) the talapia will be in another building i have planned in another location. but i figure on a three hundred gallon pool in the basement for the fingerlings from december to first of may ,and then on to the big pool from may to october,less heating during the warmer months. once i'm grown out i have a month or so to start the operation up in the house again. somehow i'm going to have the water in the three tanks in the house(two fifties and the seventy five) circulating the same water so when i move the females there will be no shock there,also this will be an aquaponics operation , the basement pool will only be fish and bio-filter with air and the big tank will be aquaponics also.my my twisted way of thinking is starting to straighten out and with a little help from others i can see this a little straighter :? :arrow: :shock: :arrow: :roll: :arrow: :idea: 8-)

badflash
04-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Before you make the trip, be sure to check my work schedule. I'm working from 6:30 AM to 7 PM 6 days a week. This goes on until about April 15.

wolfracer
04-03-2009, 04:06 PM
That sounds pretty awesome, although I am sure it will be a lot of work. Keep us posted because I would like to move into this area someday just to keep things self sufficent. Good luck on your build.

JeffW
04-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Good for you and pics are nice ;) if you get a chance and feel like it :)

shoot..I wish my wife would let me have 300 gallon pond in the basement :o

mpugh5@aol.com
04-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Before you make the trip, be sure to check my work schedule. I'm working from 6:30 AM to 7 PM 6 days a week. This goes on until about April 15.

hey buddy it will be a while before i'm ready,still in the working stages, i will get the camera going as soon as i begin assembly. 8-)

mpugh5@aol.com
04-27-2009, 06:56 AM
this is some of the large equipment that i'm looking at for the big pool these are about 10' round 4'+- tall i believe between 1000 to 1500 gals
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/daddydip/PICT0046.jpg?t=1240839547

this is the bio filter
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/daddydip/PICT0047.jpg?t=1240839666

and this is the bio filter enclosure
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/daddydip/PICT0048.jpg?t=1240839778

the plan is is that i will do the electrical wiring for my friend and his set up,furnish him a hammer mill,and grinder. he has about 100 acres of wheat planted and wants to make his own feed. i want two of the big tanks,one bio filter and will help him produce the feed. he had this entire set up in town but the cost of water put him out of business,so his operation is moving to the basement of his bank barn. he also has 10,000 trout in a pond and a zillion catfish in another . my operation is of course going to be on a much smaller scale,but i'm sure if i give it the due diligence that it will need, things will come to fruition. i also have recently acquired a cub power plant to run my buzz saw. slab wood is cheap but most don't have the means to deal with it in abundance. i figure if i store maybe 10+ cords of wood i can run this operation right through the winter.we will see. moving ahead.

badflash
04-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Man am I ever envious! :mrgreen:

Where did he get his equipment?

mpugh5@aol.com
04-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Man am I ever envious! :mrgreen:

Where did he get his equipment?
badflash he bought out a fellow he was doing business with who pasted away,the way it was explained to me
was he was trying to help out the widow.

wolfracer
04-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Wow that is some good stuff! I could sure put some of that to use. Thanks for the pics.

jackalope
05-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Why can't I run across something like that? The best I can do is a cracked 10 gallon aquarium ....... :grumble: ..... : grumble: ......... :roll: :roll:

mpugh5@aol.com
06-29-2009, 09:06 PM
i found a 15'x20' pond liner on craigslist local, about 3-4 miles up the road, it's a pretty thick piece.the owner is
throwing in a roll of tape,$175.00. i need to get this harley sportster sold so i can break ground.i'm still putting the
parts together ,slow but it's happening. ;)

jackalope
06-29-2009, 09:13 PM
i found a 15'x20' pond liner on craigslist local, about 3-4 miles up the road, it's a pretty thick piece.the owner is
throwing in a roll of tape,$175.00. i need to get this harley sportster sold so i can break ground.i'm still putting the
parts together ,slow but it's happening. ;)

That reminds me, I had talked to a guy about some 45mil epdm pond liner for 50 bucks last spring ....... I wonder if he still has it ????