PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Hoboken, NJ

Junebuginc
02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Living across the mighty Hudson from NYC and have been interested in aquaponics since 2007 when I read the book "Vertical Farms". Finding this forum has been a real eye opener already and I'm realy excited to learn and watch the interaction from all over the world. Abdul in Pakistan? You rock! and the some of the back yard green house projects (names escape me) are very extensive and amazing and I've only begin to scratch the surface.

I intend on helping develop a system here in Hoboken, NJ that helps reduce our city's organic waste (composting) as well as helping to "greenify" a very ungreen part of the world with an aquaponic garden/farm. We have rooftops and lot's of vertical space to grow in and localizing food sources is going to be the way to save ourselves and the planet. 9 billion people by 2050? Yikes.

I also plan to advocate and help the world wide aquaponic cause by doing a feature length documentary. Anybody's fish want to be famous? But seriously, this is a great thing that everybody here is doing and thanks.

Badda Bing!

keith_r
02-16-2011, 01:53 PM
welcome junebug! lots of info out there, and folks here are pretty helpful
good luck, and don't forget to take lots of pics!

JCO
02-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.

I also plan to advocate and help the world wide aquaponic cause by doing a feature length documentary

Don't know what you do for a living that qualifies you as a "DOCUMENTARY" creator, but if you need an excellent camera man, screen writer, song writer, musician, actor, male model etc., I just happen to have the right man for you. (promoting my son here) He just got back from Milan, Italy and is looking to start something here 'YESTERDAY" if not sooner. Additionally, he's been looking for some way to be able to come to the Big Apple but from what we have found, rent there cost more per month than I make in a year on S/S! :o Let me know. :mrgreen:

Junebuginc
02-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I've been working in tv for over 20 years and I'm not sure if I'm "qualified" either, but I do think this is a great story to tell, so that's my plan.

Re: your kid, he sounds awesome and NYC needs awesome kids coming in going for it, whatever it is. As you know you only get one shot in life and if he's got the itch then he should try to get to NY because he'll probably be second guessing himself if he doesn't. Not trying to but, just my 2 cents. And man, you heard right, the rent situation really sucks, but NYC's worth the price of admission. I can't wait to someday see its roof tops covered in aquaponic greenhouses...

urbanfarmer
02-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Hello and welcome :mrgreen:

Once I finish cutting through the red tape to get my farmland going, you are welcome to use my setup. It will be one of the larger aquaponic setups this side of the Mississippi. :lol: