PDA

View Full Version : Trash Can Fish Tank?

HillSider
02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I found a great 96 gallon trash can at Lowes that I was considering using as a fish tank.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1 (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=93813-60948-00723105200037&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3047679&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1)

The trash is well constructed (square shaped about 2x2) and looks like it could support at least 50+ gallons of water. Is this a realistic solution for a back yard set up, or would the height of a trash can cause problems as a fish tank.

The cost of the trash can is $80, and is cheaper than a similar sized used fish tank on Craigslist.

JCO
02-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I can't say how it would hold up, but I can say that a round one would be better suited than a square one. Additionally there is always the problem of being able to see the fish from the side to ascertain if they are doing OK or have problems, ie fungus, ick on and on. :mrgreen:

badflash
02-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm with JCO. Wrong shape to hold up with water. Go for a rubber stock tank.

HillSider
02-09-2011, 04:37 PM
the stock tanks are perfect. found a place that has a 100 gal for about the same price as the large trash can. Thanks!

urbanfarmer
02-09-2011, 10:51 PM
the stock tanks are perfect. found a place that has a 100 gal for about the same price as the large trash can. Thanks!
You could always search craig's list for 55 gallon plastic barrels (the blue ones are best), and they usually run like $10 each. Make sure it didn't previously have dangerous chemicals in it, and make sure to wash it our real good.

rfeiller
02-09-2011, 11:32 PM
you need to also be certain whatever you use is not constructed of plastic that has toxic chemicals.

best to stick with products that are specified safe for food or potable water.

RS_
02-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Urbanfarmer,

The 55gal blue barrels are great for biofilters, sworll filters and grow beds, But I don't like them for fish tanks, because you can't see the fish down in them..... I like the white 55gal barrels because the light shines in, and i can see the fish down in them better. even when the algae and bio-slime grow on the sides, there is still enough light to observe the fish......

the white ones may not be as UV stable as the blue one though..........

RS

urbanfarmer
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
the white ones may not be as UV stable as the blue one though..........
RS
They're not :-) I even have documentation that states that from the county! LOL, but have you considered that your fish don't want to see you? :lol:

RS_
02-11-2011, 12:41 PM
that's a bummer that they are not UV stabilized, as i am gonna use 10 of them outside for fry tanks over the summer....

they like to see me when i feed them......... :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
02-11-2011, 01:15 PM
that's a bummer that they are not UV stabilized, as i am gonna use 10 of them outside for fry tanks over the summer....

they like to see me when i feed them......... :mrgreen:
If you paint them it will make them last a lot longer, but that defeats the purpose of why you want them I guess... also, when plastic gets brittle from UV it often leeches chemicals into the water. I don't know specifically what they are made of; so, I am not sure what exactly it leeches. It's usually bad though. I'd stick with the rubber stock tank idea given the choices.

rfeiller
02-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I believe only direct sunlight would have that affect. Under some type of canopy would you have the same problem?
Fish are very friendly and inquisitive. The wild caught talipia were considered one of the most intelligent being taught to ring bells and run mazes.

urbanfarmer
02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Shade would definitely reduce the effects from the direct light, but UV rays can reflect off surfaces. It can reflect off sand, cement, or pretty much anything fairly reflective.

jackalope
02-24-2011, 11:24 PM
My roblem withthe stock tanks is the same as the pond liners .... they're black, so if you have dark/black fish, you can't see them if your tank is very deep! I think the next one I build will have a window in the front!