PDA

View Full Version : My system feb 2011

brent
02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I have set up my test system. A 30 gallon aquarium, about 100 minnows, a shelf, 4 pots, 4 grow media, and some beans. I have soaked the beans for a few days and planted one in each pot. When things get going, I'll post some pics.

jackalope
02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Good to hear, my neighbor to the North! I love Saskatchewan, nice country up there! How are you guys doing with this crazy weather? From what I hear, most of our weather lately, here in Montana, has been coming frrom up North, so I guess we get your leftovers :lol: :lol:

As time goes by, you will probably want to expand your system, I did, anyways. I outgrew myself, and now I have to re-design everything to fit my large tank! IOW, I didn't plan ahead! It sounds like you are planning real well. PIX, we want pix :lol:

brent
02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
The weather is crazy alight. One of the reasons I am revisiting aquaponics. Where in Montana are you?

brent
02-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I had some bad bean seed, so I replaced them with peas today.

urbanfarmer
02-12-2011, 10:01 PM
What kind of beans? I found my store bought soy seeds to dislike the 24-hour soak prior to planting.

Yes, picture please ;)

brent
02-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Yes, that could have been it. I have heard for years about soaking seed. This was the first time I tried it.

rfeiller
02-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't know about minnows but 20 2-3" goldfish being fed correctly in a 100 gal tank produced more nitrates ( above 40ppm) then I wanted.
I just put soy bean seeds in damp jiffy starter trays and they rooted very well. I never thought to soak them. Another successful method is to place them between two paper towels. Once rooted place in growout media.

urbanfarmer
02-14-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't know about minnows but 20 2-3" goldfish being fed correctly in a 100 gal tank produced more nitrates ( above 40ppm) then I wanted.
I just put soy bean seeds in damp jiffy starter trays and they rooted very well. I never thought to soak them. Another successful method is to place them between two paper towels. Once rooted place in growout media.
The Jiffy peat pellets work great for me; although, some people say they're not great because they don't contain much nutrients (not a big deal for germination, and I supplement early with liquid fert).

I have never, and I mean NEVER, had any luck with the paper towel method...........

rfeiller
02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
i have had success with paper towels for cuttings and seeds, but the problem is in planting them without destroying the new roots.