PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Chicago!

ChicagoReporter
02-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I was doing some research on tabletop aquaponics when I stumbled on this forum. I'm a science reporter out of Chicago, and lately I've been working on some stories on large-scale aquaponics operations here in IL. I've gotten pretty into over the course of my interviews and I'm hoping to set up my own basic system in my little studio apartment. I was thinking just a small tank (no bigger than 35 gallons) with a gravel grow bed directly on top since I've seen a few like that on YouTube. I'm also hoping to write an article/blog on my experiences. Does that sound feasible? Could anyone talk me through it?

Thanks!

davidstcldfl
02-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi CR, Welcome to the forum... :D
I'm sure we could help you out. Lets give the folks a chance to say 'HI' here...then you can start a post in the section called 'Back Yard Systems' We might have to start a sub-section called....Studio systems... :D

urbanfarmer
02-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Hey CR and welcome! That sounds great. We can definitely help you out. :mrgreen:

badflash
02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
The growbed needs to be at least 2X as big as the tank, so keep that in mind. One way would be to have a tripple decker stand with the fish at the bottom and lights over the grow beds.

JCO
02-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.

Please go to your profile and put in your city and state. There might be a forum member near you.

It would also be nice if you could mention our forum in your article/blog if that isn't asking too much. Aquaponics can sure use the publicity as well as our forum so we can help get the word out. :mrgreen:

ChicagoReporter
02-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Great, updated my profile to include location. I'll of course mention the DIY Forum in anything I write

keith_r
02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
welcome chi town reporter,,,
the 2:1 ration of growbed to ft is just a "rule of thumb" and a good one.. but you'll need a sump if you do go that ratio..
1:1 works fine, base your fishload on the filtration (100 gallons of gb will grow out 25lbs of fish),, my winter system is 3 55 gallon ft, and 1 pair of gb's so i'm pretty close to 1:3.. i keep a good eye on water params and don't feed heavily..

a small window type system with a 35 gallon ft would be greate for growing out herbs and such, maybe a single tomato plant.. i recently saw a small system that the guy rotated his potted plants in and out of

rfeiller
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the forum!
In a closed system it's amazing how much nitrates can be produced by even a few small goldfish.

Big Al
02-05-2011, 09:07 AM
hi chicagoreporter, welcome to the forum, good luck with your set-up. best wishes Big Al