PDA

View Full Version : New Member. Planning Aquaponic project in India

josephpj
02-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi,
I'm from India and very glad to be on this active forum. I plan to start an Aquaponic Farm in Tamil Nadu, India. The conditions we have are arid/semi-arid. Would appreciate some suggestions. Also can anyone advise on training available in India (preferable South India).

Thanks

Joseph
josephpj at gmail dot com

:)

keith_r
02-03-2011, 07:17 AM
the temp conditions will be more of a factor as far as what kind of fish is available to grow

give us some more info.. like, how big a farm, what size fishtanks, growbeds, etc...

what's your water supply like?
other fish farms around?

good luck, ask questions, lots of knowledgable folks here

davidstcldfl
02-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi josephpj , welcome..... :D

urbanfarmer
02-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Hello and welcome!

josephpj
02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
the temp conditions will be more of a factor as far as what kind of fish is available to grow

give us some more info.. like, how big a farm, what size fishtanks, growbeds, etc...

what's your water supply like?
other fish farms around?

good luck, ask questions, lots of knowledgable folks here

Thanks everyone for the quick replies;
Keith,
info you asked;
Farm Size: 40 Acres (It will be an animal farm and I plan to dedicate part of it for Aquaponics)
Weather: 15C (Winter) to 40C (Summer), Dry weather, with very little rainfall
Fish tanks, Grow beds etc: I have to decide as I'm doing a very preliminary study. Maybe I should do a pilot project and then get on to a bigger scale - what do you think? I need to start from ground zero.
Fish Farms: Nothing nearby
Fish available to grow: Tilapia, Pearl Spot etc

Regards

Joseph

keith_r
02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
i still have plenty to learn, so what you do has to be best for you!

i've seen wood frame/lined growbeds and fishtanks, but if bugs are a problem in your area, it might not be a good idea..

probably a good idea to start small to learn the ins and outs.. but if you got the space and the time,,, go as big as you can manage..

you aren't a fish farmer until you've killed a million fish

JCO
02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.Please go to your profile and put in your city and state or country. There might be a forum member near you. :mrgreen:

josephpj
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
you aren't a fish farmer until you've killed a million fish

That's a nice one!

Big Al
02-05-2011, 09:16 AM
hi josephpj, welcome to the forum, good luck with your project. best wishes Big Al

josephpj
02-06-2011, 09:06 AM
hi josephpj, welcome to the forum, good luck with your project. best wishes Big Al

Thanks Al

Nagaraj
04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi josephpj,
This is Nagaraj from Chennai Tamil Nadu, India. I am very glad to hear that some one is very near to me to discuss about this issue. Even I am interested in setting up small unit. But here we face acute shortage of electricity which is the main factor in running this system. What is your opinion in this.

Regards
Nagaraj

rfeiller
04-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the forum, glad you changed from red, I had a hard time reading it. If I were going to set up in a hot dry area I would dig a hole and put a rubber liner in it the water temperature would not fluctuate as much. This is a growth experience start small.