PDA

View Full Version : Fuel

badflash
03-26-2009, 07:30 PM
This summer I'll be experimenting with waste oil as a fuel source. I now have info on how to cheaply convert waste motor oil or waste fry oil to diesel fuel and heating oil. This may be the holy grail of how to keep things warm in the northern waste lands. My dream now is to get a diesel generator to power my greenhouse, and use the wate heat from the engine to heat it. I'm hoping to either be off the grid, or selling to it more than I buy.

I'll keep you posted. Currently I plan to use a combo of Frantz TP oil filters and a centrifugal oil filter to remove particulates. Additives are added to thin the oil and make it act the diesel fuel. It looks like you can convert waste oil to usuable diesel simulant for under 50 cents a gallon.

JeffW
03-26-2009, 08:04 PM
sold my VW golf (1.6 diesel) 2 years ago to a man down the road, he has a fleet of VW's
now all run off cooking grease. This is so popular that cops are getting reports of 55
gallons of cooking grease being stolen from back of restaurants.

wolfracer
03-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Here is a little fuel project my friend Brett and I collaboratted on a few years ago.

http://www.gregncheryl.com/index.php?op ... n&Itemid=2 (http://www.gregncheryl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1:bio-methane&catid=1:methane-production&Itemid=2)

This is my own personal web page I serve out of my house so it might be a little slow.(512 DSL)

mpugh5@aol.com
03-28-2009, 05:09 AM
it timed out for me wolfracer,said it was taking to long to respond. will try again later. :roll:

wolfracer
03-28-2009, 05:29 AM
Computer was down due to power outage, we have at least an inch of ice on everything.

JeffW
03-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Nice site Greg...clean and easy to navigate

wolfracer
03-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks Jeff, I put a little time into it.

catfish
07-20-2010, 12:06 PM
This summer I'll be experimenting with waste oil as a fuel source. I now have info on how to cheaply convert waste motor oil or waste fry oil to diesel fuel and heating oil. This may be the holy grail of how to keep things warm in the northern waste lands. My dream now is to get a diesel generator to power my greenhouse, and use the wate heat from the engine to heat it. I'm hoping to either be off the grid, or selling to it more than I buy.

I'll keep you posted. Currently I plan to use a combo of Frantz TP oil filters and a centrifugal oil filter to remove particulates. Additives are added to thin the oil and make it act the diesel fuel. It looks like you can convert waste oil to usuable diesel simulant for under 50 cents a gallon.

How is this working out for you?

badflash
07-20-2010, 01:14 PM
It is on the back burner. Waste motor oil is off the table due to NY state regulations on toxic waste. Still planning on waste veggie oil, but I have other priorities right now.

catfish
07-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Can you tell me more about this, I may want to look into it as well. Seems like a neat idea.

thanks

badflash
07-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Not a lot to it. You find fry places that will give you the oil. You heat it to remove the water and filter it to remove contaminants. If heated to 180F it can be used just like diesel without any chemical conversion. You cn also use it in a furnace.

catfish
07-21-2010, 01:20 PM
So what kind of system do you need to remove all the particles from the oil like food etc.?

I thought you had to use a small home made refinery?

What about the used motor oil, what is the process for that?

badflash
07-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Google Franze oil filter.