PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles, CA

HillSider
01-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Hello Everyone

I'm planning to set up a small system in the Los Angeles area, and I have concerns about the high temperatures during the summer (winters are very mild so no worries). The area I have is full sun (south facing slope) and can get to 105+F regularly during the summer, and I'm concerned with hot water hurting plants and fish. To start I was planning a 50-80 gal tank, is this amount of water enough to deal with summer temps? Would a small shelter and or running fans over the fish tank cool the water (used this technique in my reef & fish tanks)? Do I even need to be concerned about these temps if I plan on raising tilapia?

I plan to start with:
3-6 strawberry towers
1 6'x2' grow bed
sump (like a salt water wet dry trickle system)
50-80 gal fish tank

Thanks!

badflash
01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Tilapia can deal with 105F as long as there is enough oxygen. Keep lots of airsones going in hot weather. You can also take advantage of evaporative cooling. Spray a mist of water back into the pool. It will cool down the water is the humidity isn't too high.

HillSider
01-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm really looking forward to getting a small system set up for the summer, and I was so concerned about the ramifications of high temps on the system.

I've keep fish tanks for over 10 years, and I've had many vegetable gardens over the years. So this looks like a perfect marriage of both hobbies.

Thanks for setting up this forum to share knowledge!

davidstcldfl
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi HillSider, welcome to the forum... :D

Something to consider.......A few people I know in FL, use a shade cloth called aluminet.

One guy said he used a higher percentage (traditional) shade cloth over his (glass) greenhouse and it was still too warm....then he switched to the aluminet, which was actually a lower % of shade. He said, the greenhouse was actually cooler with the aluminet..... said it was worth the extra cost.

HillSider
01-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Alumimet is some good looking stuff! I was planning on some plant nursery grade shade cloth, but this stuff looks much better. Thanks!

jackalope
01-28-2011, 06:43 PM
HillSider :D Welcome to the Forum! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Aluminet Shade Cloth

Reduce Greenhouse Temperatures 9-14 Degrees

Aluminet is a high quality reflective metalized HDPE knitted screen. Used in greenhouse thermal screens and as an alternative to black shade cloth. It is specially treated to prevent oxidation and:

* Protects against frost radiation damages
* Repels pests and thrips
* Moderates day/night temperatures
* Easy to install due to light weight and high elasticity

Clik ;) (http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/shade-cloth)

JCO
01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in the city and state where you live as another member may live close to you. :mrgreen:

rfeiller
01-28-2011, 08:22 PM
welcome to the forum

aluminet; i'm going to check into that myself, the black shadecloth seemed to raise the greenhouse temperature even though it reduced the light, then i went to a beige. but aluminet sounds like a winner. i put styrofoam around the tanks in the past, so the temperature fluctuations are not as harsh.

we'll swing 30-40 degrees between night and day. tough on everything.

rich

urbanfarmer
01-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the forum! :D

Oliver
01-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Hillsider, welcome,

We are in Yucca Valley, CA so we understand temperature extremes. If you would like to take a look at what not to do, then stop by for a visit.

We also can share with you some of the ins and outs of what to do. Experience is a great teacher, but often costly; for we are still learning and hope to be for some time, at least until the money runs out. :?

Just give us a call at 760-671-3053.

Oliver