PDA

View Full Version : Got Fish??

jackalope
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Every so often, I get an email asking me where a person can get full-grown fish for eating - locally grown, naturally raised, non- medicated, non GMO, healthy fish. I have a pretty much stock answer that I give them, because if I can help someone out, I will, and I always try to steer people to one of the members of this forum, if possible.

Hi,

Do you sell tilapia fillets for consumption??

If not, I am wondering if you can steer me in the right direction! I am looking for a US fish farm where I can buy tilapia fillets that are not pumped with chemicals, fed low grade foods, etc. I really dont trust foreign tilapia...been to china and just dont see where anyone would regulate the feed and water.... I know its a little silly to designate farm tilapia as organic so I have been searching for locally raised fish. So far all I can find are sites to help set up a farm...and I am not able to do that at all!

If you have any info on how I could find a local fish farm / source I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you so much!

This is what I say, more or less, depending on the email:

Hi xxxxxxx,
I would need to know where you reside to be able to know who might sell you some Tilapia. At least tell me what city/state you live in so I can put you in touch with someone in your area! If it were me, I would ask to buy them live, because the fish farm/person raising them probably doesn't have the health permits, etc. required to sell them as meat .... and you know how the gov't just loves to bust a small business person who doesn't have all the appropriate permits and licenses and permissions from the drones at city hall! ...... Once you are off his property, you can kill them (just like a trout or salmon if you are a fisherman), and take them home and gut and clean them, skin them if you want them skinned, and fry or bake them and eat some healthy fish! If you are going to barbeque them, leave the skin on so that it sticks to the grill or frying pan, that way you don't lose any of the meat to the charcoal! See our recipe section for some good recipes for Tilapia. Clik ;) (http://jimsfish.webs.com/recipes.htm)

If I had any to sell, that's the way I would do it for someone who wants them for eating. You may have to take a large plastic bag with you to put them in (with a little water) until you get them away from his property so you can kill them. If he/she does have the appropriate permits, he can kill them, gut and clean them, and process them for you right away, and even put them into a freezer while you visit or tour his farm. Just my opinion, ask before buying: Are these fish GMO or hybrid? I raise only pure stock, and will not deal in hybrid or GMO stock.

Thanks, for writing,

If you are interested in putting your name on a list for possibly having fish for sale locally, PM me, (If you don't have all the proper health permits, be sure to sell them live!), But even then, only sell them if your state/local permit allows you to sell some of your stock, whether they are fry, fingerling or adult ;) :!: :!: Right now, I have an email from a person in NY (I think, from the email address).

If you want to put your name a list like this, PM me, and I will try to get permission from JCO to put the list in here somewheres so that we can all help each other out, and I will know where to send these people to. Don't put your name in this thread, because I will have to run the list by JCO first to see if he OK's it for publication. Otherwise, I will keep this list to myself and will know how to put them in touch with you if they are in your area. I will need name and email for the list, because I won't be a 3rd party, they will deal directly with the person(s) I send them to.