PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Galveston, Tx

thcoolest
01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Hello,
I'm looking to start up a decent size hobby operation as a family/friends community effort. Some of the questions that have come up have been around the taste and nutrient quality of the plants that are grown in an AP system. Specifically with herbs and salad greens, how does an AP system compare with that of veggies organically grown in soil; nutrient, and micronutrient wise. ( and flavor ) Are there some things that plants can only get from the soil, or are there ways with AP to provide those same nutrients as well?

Thanks for any input,
Tyler

keith_r
01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
welcome to the board Tyler..
i don't have as much experience as others here.. but the lettuce, cukes brocholi and radishes all tasted better than the ones from our small dirt garden

the only thing i've added is maxicrop with iron and eggshells i buried..i've heard of people burying a banana in the growbed to add potasium.. if you do something like this, make sure you have worms in your growbed, red wiggler, or composting worms, not night crawlers..

davidstcldfl
01-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi Tyler, welcome to the forum... :D

My opinion, the veggies taste just as good, if not better.
It's common for AP systems, to need to have iron added. Some use chelated iron....like Keith, I also use maxi-crop with iron.
Also, some add a little salt...I use sea salt, which adds some trace minerals.

urbanfarmer
01-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

JCO
01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

Hotrodmike
01-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Tyler
Welcome to another Texas boy .
I can say I have not tasted any off flavor from anything I have eaten out of my system . With a good quality fish food you should get most everything you need passing through the fish . The one thing most seem to find lacking is iron and for that you can use chelated iron or what most use Maxicrop w/iron . Since I had too many cubic foot of bed I could no way afford hydrotron so I ended up using crushed granite only to find it does contain a lot of trace elements ,maybe that helps ,maybe it don' t but as long as the plants grow well I won't complain !
Just tell the folks ,No the veggies won't taste like fish ! :lol:
Have A Kind Day
Mike

Big Al
01-22-2011, 10:23 AM
hi tyler, welcome to the forum. best wishes Big Al

thcoolest
01-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I am excited to start this adventure, and hope to be a contributing member soon :)
I am in the process of acquiring a greenhouse and all the equipment, of which I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to ask ( in the right forum of course! :) )

-Tyler

stucco
01-22-2011, 01:55 PM
hello :)

jackalope
01-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the forum, glad you're aboard!

urbanfarmer
08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Hello,
I'm looking to start up a decent size hobby operation as a family/friends community effort. Some of the questions that have come up have been around the taste and nutrient quality of the plants that are grown in an AP system. Specifically with herbs and salad greens, how does an AP system compare with that of veggies organically grown in soil; nutrient, and micronutrient wise. ( and flavor ) Are there some things that plants can only get from the soil, or are there ways with AP to provide those same nutrients as well?

Thanks for any input,
Tyler
AP can provide the same nutrients as the soil. It really depends on how you maintain your system. AP basically has soil without the soil... I know it sounds all Zen like...

How goes the community effort? Update us!

bcotton
09-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Tyler
I can say I have not tasted any off flavor from anything I have eaten out of my system . With a good quality fish food you should get most everything you need passing through the fish . The one thing most seem to find lacking is iron and for that you can use chelated iron or what most use Maxicrop w/iron . Since I had too many cubic foot of bed I could no way afford hydrotron so I ended up using crushed granite only to find it does contain a lot of trace elements ,maybe that helps ,maybe it don' t but as long as the plants grow well I won't complain !
Have A Kind Day
Mike

Here in texas you can buy expanded shale by the cubic yard at any landscaping/gravel supply. It's 1/15th the cost of hydroton with similar properties.

brian

urbanfarmer
09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Tyler
Have A Kind Day
Mike

Here in texas you can buy expanded shale by the cubic yard at any landscaping/gravel supply. It's 1/15th the cost of hydroton with similar properties.

brian
Actually, I think it has double the surface area compared to hydroton. Also, regular gravel has 20% more surface area than hydroton. Interesting, huh?

foodchain
10-27-2011, 11:52 AM
I was just in Galveston last weekend for that big rainstorm....kids still loved the beach. I have to agree with everyone else. The vegetables taste better, possibly imagined in my case I don't know. The fish/prawns taste good. But have found that if you don't keep good, clean water mine can get a "muddy" tastes similar to fish you catch in mud ponds. Again it might just be me here.
Also, I have found that if my strawberries don't get enough light/sun...they taste all watery. Look nice, but short on flavour. If they get too much the berries are smaller, but very sweet. Best guess is the sun on this. I am running more tests on this logic in the spring with the new season.