PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Barcelona, Spain.

Namaste
01-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Hello!

I'm a planted aquariums fan and recently discovered Aquaponics... and well, you know what happens later, lots of hours spent in searching info and viewing videos :D (Murray Hallam's video tutorials are great!, except for his Australian accent, difficult to understand for me :( ).

I've been searching for AP related webs here in Spain, but nothing interesting... is there anybody from Spain here in the forum?

I've got a project in mind where i'm gonna mix veggies and aquatic plants growing w/ ornamental tropical fish (both selled to aquarium hobbists)... 2 tanks (one w/ aq. plants, other with fishes) and 1 growbed (w/ veggies).
There are some inherent difficulties implied. When you grow submersed plants, you must supply CO2 to the water for a correct growth w/ no algae. CO2 escapes from water when turbulences occur, so it's imperative to avoid them. You would think there's not going to be enough O2, but this gas will be provided by plants during photosintesis (almost during day, at night aireators gonna be turned on).

Well, that's just something I've got in mind :D... hope to learn a lot from you all buddies!

Seeya'!

davidstcldfl
01-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi Namaste, welcome to the forum.... :D

rfeiller
01-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the forum. Your idea should work fine.
Most aquatic plants are only submersed in the rainy seasons. Many plants found in pet shops are hydroponically grown. The plants have both submersed and aerial leaves. If you have observed the dieback once submersed and then they start out sending submersed leaves that is why. Aerial leaves grow much faster without the algae.
Keep us posted.

Rich

Namaste
01-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I thought about the idea of growing emerged aquatic plants. I'm gonna try both ways.

Bye!

urbanfarmer
01-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Hello and welcome!

JCO
01-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

Big Al
01-17-2011, 04:03 PM
hi namaste, welcome to the forum, best wishes Big Al

jackalope
01-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the forum Namaste, I don't think we have anyone here from Spain yet besides yourself, but we are definitely an international forum. There are people on here from all over the world. Thanks for joining up!