PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Tiffin, Ohio

vkirchner
01-16-2011, 06:13 AM
My name in Vince Kirchner, I have been studying permaculture design for a few years. This year I obtained a certification which during the class we spoke about aquaculture and aquaponics. I was very interested to learn more about the subject, so hear I am.

Boring stuff

1. I work as a Cad System Admin for an automotive glass company in the Product Development Department, which I have done for almost 25 years.
2. Married with 3 boys over 21, all living at home.(Tough Economy)
3. My permaculture work in in it's infancy, but I hope to do more of that in the future. (http://www.greatlakespermaculture.com)

Ironfish
01-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi Vince,

I'm glad to see more Ohioans on the forum. I'm in Smithville (out side Wooster). I've been reading on permaculture for years, and very interested. We just bought 8.5 A. next to our 1.5A. We'll talk.
Welcome aboard and if I can help just yell.

Ironfish

JCO
01-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

rfeiller
01-16-2011, 10:14 AM
welcome to the forum. looking forward to your participation.

rich

urbanfarmer
01-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Hello and welcome!

vkirchner
01-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. It is nice to see a few Ohioans here. I hope to learn enough to be able to provide plans for a small aquaponic system as part of my permaculture reports for clients. They will have to satisfy two main criteria, first they have to be simple so they can be built with minimal skills, the second is that it has to be packaged attractively. We were taught that we could have the best system in the world but if it did not look "pretty", then no one would be interested.

Web site is still sparse at this time. I have plenty of material to put up there but I have been fighting the Wordpress theme a little bit, still wrapping my head around it so to speak.

Thanks again.

macnugget
01-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Welcome Im from South Dayton Ohio

Big Al
01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
hi vince, just another ohioan checking in. welcome to the forum best wishes Big Al

jackalope
01-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the forum. glad to have you aboard ......

keith_r
01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
yeah, quite a few buckeyes on this forum.. it's nice when we can commiserate over this crazy weather... in the 40's today with a bunch of snow on the ground, it's going to be raining till the sun goes down, then it'll be a nice snow blanket on top of the ice.. glad i got new tires last weekend! but it meant i couldn't buy anything for my basement system :shock:
i got a camera though, (actually my online shopping wife did) and if it;'s not destined to be a gift for someone else, i'll see if i can get some pic's

vkirchner
01-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I have been browsing the files provided in the forum, but a few basic questions linger in my head. If I try to design a small system that could be used by apartment dwellers, couples, or even small families, what is the starting point for the concept.

1. Available containers
2. Flow capacity and rates required by certain fish types
3. Type of system Ebb and flow versus constant flow

Where do I start?

rfeiller
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Start with the apartment management, many do not allow aquariums.
The weight is a concern: 100 gals plus equip=1000 lbs min.
Actually there is a slick window setup that can be done with inverted 1ltr plastic bottles, a five gallon bucket and an air pump. Will look it up and post it later. Can grow lettuce, strawberries, greens, herbs.

rfeiller
01-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Start with the apartment management, many do not allow aquariums.
The weight is a concern: 100 gals plus equip=1000 lbs min.
Actually there is a slick window setup that can be done with inverted 1ltr plastic bottles, a five gallon bucket and an air pump. Will look it up and post it later. Can grow lettuce, strawberries, greens, herbs.
sizing depends on food fish or ornimental fishes requirements. You'll need a lot more water with food fish.

Welcome to the forum.

JCO
01-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Please choose a topic and start your own thread. A PLACE TO SAY HELLO is just that, a place to introduce yourself and goals. :mrgreen:

vkirchner
01-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Sorry JCO, your right I did not mean to disrupt the system or break any rules. I will rethink my questions and start a new thread at that time.

I am really glad to see so many Ohioans here, that means when the weather is a little nicer I could setup a few road trips to see the member setups, take pictures, and write a long post for my website. Whoo hooo!

JCO
01-22-2011, 11:13 AM
NO Problem...Thanks :mrgreen: