PDA

View Full Version : DIY Fogger Float Project in Progress

Wartooth
03-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Here is a DIY float for my fogger unit - to be floated inside the reservoir. It consists of brick of dense but flexible plastic packaging foam, a can of sardines, and of course the fogger unit. I still need to drill holes in the can and silicone the can to the foam. And it still needs to be tested. Here are pics the project thus far:
[attachment=2:34etpsmr]IMG_2767.jpg[/attachment:34etpsmr]
[attachment=1:34etpsmr]IMG_2775.jpg[/attachment:34etpsmr]
[attachment=0:34etpsmr]IMG_2776.jpg[/attachment:34etpsmr]

badflash
03-22-2009, 12:17 PM
How about letting us know what your overall plans are with this. Looks pretty interesting.

JCO
03-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Welcome back wartooth...this is a topic that badflash has been waiting for someone to make a post about. Keep us up to date on your progress :mrgreen:

wolfracer
03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I have to ask what is the fogger about?

Wartooth
03-23-2009, 08:09 AM
It's for a two-chamber(10 site) hybrid system with sprayers inside each chamber. I'll post pics soon. I'll have the drain pieces of each chamber inserted directly into the reservoir and with any luck, the fog will enter and fill each chamber through its drain.
Update:
I used this type packaging foam as a floater as I've seen another person use it online. However, it has a sponge-like consistency. So I'm weary that over time, it may soak up some water and sink deeper than I set it. I tested it and it worked fine, but it did soak up some water. I'm going to be using standard insulating styrofoam instead.

Aeroponic foggers were developed by NASA. Basically, you have a fogger unit sitting in nutrient solution and it heats the water enough to create fog. This super-fine mist is nutrified and is absorbed by the root systems much more efficiently than misters and sprayers. The leading company for aeroponic foggers is Nutramist. They make complete fogger machines which cost upwards of $500. However, they also sell the fogger unit separately for around $24.95, which is what I bought. You can buy fogger units from any hardware store for $10-20. However, the nutramist fogger unit has teflon coated transducers which helps reduce the build up of minerals. Not recommended for nutrient solutions that contain solids.

jackalope
03-23-2009, 11:25 AM
hmmmmmmm ....... interesting ;)

JCO
04-06-2009, 11:34 AM
OK, it's time for an update on your project...haven't heard anything from you for awhile on it...how's things coming :?:

Wartooth
05-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Fogger didn't work out. I had it floating in the reservoir, but the fog would not fill my chambers. Decided to go with a simple drip and drain system. It was first in the backyard, then I brought it indoor. Will probably make a cloning chamber later on with the fogger unit.
[attachment=0:29qpdeeg]IMG_3302.jpg[/attachment:29qpdeeg]

There weren't enough hours of usable daylight in the backyard, so I invested in a 150 watt CFL (500 watt incandescent equivalent).
[attachment=2:29qpdeeg]IMG_3391.jpg[/attachment:29qpdeeg]

Decided to make use of my 10 gallon goldfish tank and TA-DAH! Aquaponics! I kept the aquarium filter on it, so I would have to wait for the media to culture bacteria and I figured I wouldn't have to worry too much about the ratio rule this way. As you can see, there is enough light spillage to take care of these sites too. There's spinach and lettuce in the germination process at the moment. Also ghost peppers should be germinating within the next month - going to put two of them on the grow chamber with the other pepper plants.
[attachment=1:29qpdeeg]IMG_3549.jpg[/attachment:29qpdeeg]

sergelerner
12-26-2010, 05:29 AM
hi, I see its an old post but nevertheless i wanted to ask how come the fogger didnt work out? maybe in a different setup it would?
Im intrested to know if the fogger can be used in aquaponics?
i saw some youtube videos and it seems as it makes alot of noise? for a home system it can be a bugger

thanks

jackalope
12-26-2010, 12:40 PM
I saw a couple of interesting vids on You Tube about fogger-ponics, but the foggers are tooo expensive for trialling & testing, so I never did invest in that. If if didn't work for me, it would have been a waste of money .... I've got no other reason to buy a fogger ;)

dufflight
12-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Foggers block up unless the water is very clean. Same as the sprayers in aeroponics. I like the idea of just f&d the chamber with the roots inside. Hook up a tub on the outlet of a gb and when the gb empties, the water will fill the empty tub before the second siphon empties it. Similar to having cascading gb's.

rfeiller
12-29-2010, 06:13 PM
there are just some processes that do not do well biologically. if it is bio it is alive and will either live, multiply and attach itself to the equipment and creat a problem or die in solution and cause a problem. the only successful fogging systems i have seem are sterile enviornments with chem ferts. the solutions are created to be hostile towards living organisms, i.e. fungi, bacterial, viral or parasitic little buggers.

the biggest problem i have seen outside of the equipment becoming unuseable is finding something that is safe to use around fish that will control rot/fungas. i have found nothing that will work effectively and no publication/info i have read has a convincing arguement for any organic control that is non-toxic to the aquatic inviornment.

dufflight
12-29-2010, 07:33 PM
DWC works well. Haven't really tried it much with AP.

Tarnick66
04-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I have seen people use ultrasonic cool mist humidifiers with hydroponics grows, but I would think unless you had a microfilter to stop solids you would have to clean a setup like that allot with anything organic. Most foggers heat up and are not really made to do what you want. The ultrasonic humidifier on the other hand, I have not seen in person, but I have seen massive root growth online through it's use. Hope that helps. Experiment who knows it might be what you want. I figure why make things hard on yourself. Even with a cool mist setup you more than likely will see very little difference in growth compared to the headache of fixing and cleaning your system repetatively. Something to keep in mind.

TheHouseofHydro
06-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey guys, I found this thread when I was doing some keyword research for my ebay store. Before you light me up for spamming, I thought I could help you guys out with some questions you may have. I have been selling ultrasonic foggers since the old days, and could probably provide some insight for you guys.

First, looking through the posts, the fog that could not reach your roots is normal. Fog is heavier that air, it must be circulated with a small fan if you are going to use it in a deep reservoir. They work best in a pvc tube or fencepost hydroponics if you are not going to use a fan. Let gravity do the work.

I saw mentioned that the mist maker heats the water. This is true, and it is ok for cloning, but not growing to full term. Use a separate fan fed reservoir looped in with your system, or use gravity to draw out the mist.

As far as keeping clean water, this is somewhat true. If there are really heavy solids in the water, it will reduce performance. Some fertilizers are better than others, always use a low salt fert. :evil: Salt kills! :evil:

Keeping the discs clean... Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but I hate to see people waste money. To maintain the discs without having to buy new, take them out of your water fogger and soak them in vinegar for a few hours... just like new. ;)

If you guys have any other questions, just ask.

JCO
07-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:

TheHouseofHydro
07-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:

Your Welcome! I just had a demo video put together for the 12 disc mist maker. Here it is if anyone cares to see one of the huge ultrasonic foggers in action. :ugeek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb7EeJytbPw

dead_sled
07-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Ummm, yeah, Peter, I'm going to need you to post a link to that video along with your TPS report.
http://i.imgur.com/rKUYnYo.gif

TheHouseofHydro
07-25-2013, 12:32 PM
LOL... took care of it! ^

eddiemigue
07-25-2013, 09:55 PM
LOL dead sled.

Solfalcra
09-04-2017, 05:40 PM
May I know what fogger means? and what are trying to do with these materials?