PDA

View Full Version : insects

mommyhen42
01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
2 years ago it was white fly in the spring
Then last year green aphids went after my strawberries before the ladybugs came out
This year it is black aphids...
Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of these without hurting the turtles that run this system???
I still have 6 read ear sliders from when i ran the reptile rescued that never found homes. So I decided to let them feed my small system in the aviary where I grow the best lettuce year round... But I noticed the tips of some of the lettuce to be turning golden and upon closer inspection I found lots of black aphids...
How do I do in these little critters without making the turtles sick...
I could move the turtles somewhere else and then treat if necessary but what do I use and how long before I could put the turtles back???
Taking each one out and washing it is out of the question, this is a flood and drain tub and these are nearly mature heads.

jackalope
01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
We have always used a mild dish-washing liquid mixture to get rid of aphids, but I would think that wouldn't work well with your turtles :( We also have (in the dirt garden) planted marigolds and other plants that will drive away the aphids and such (it didn't do anything for the grasshoppers last year, they ate the marigolds too!)

I know this isn't much help, but I thought I'd put it out there for you to consider anyways.

I have the Urban Aquaponics Manual by Gary Donaldson - from down under. He just says to spray them off with an organic spray (if you have an open-loop system) - I guess that means plain water if you don't.

Pest Control
Aquaponics growing requires a different approach to pest control.

Fortunately, raised grow beds encourage close inspection of plants so, if you encounter grubs, leaf hoppers and caterpillars, you simply pluck them off the plants and throw them into the fish tank.

Fish seem to appreciate the occasional slater or earwig too.

Insect pests like mites and aphids can often be washed off plant. If your growing systems are open-loop (non-recirculating), you can even apply an organic spray.

mommyhen42
01-09-2011, 11:58 AM
the information you give is the best I have found.
I can remove the turtles from the system if need be
But how long would I have to wait before I could put them back?
I thought about harvesting them early but fear that many would drop off into the gravel to infest the next crop before it even has a chance.

keith_r
01-10-2011, 07:17 AM
i had pretty good luck using a garlic/chilli/hot pepper spray..

just a drop or two of oil..

boil some garlic, pepper, chilli pepper, (i put in some cayenne too), cool, and put in a spray bottle..

it worked pretty well over the summer, applied after rain, or every few days if i saw any sign of aphids

mommyhen42
01-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Great.
I am assuming that I would have to remove the turtles, cant imagine them tolerating such a mix.
Then I am also guessing that a complete water change (or two) would also be necessary before putting the turtles back, in case any of the mix made it into the gravel and hence the water???
I have heard of "wax pepper spray" but never found a recipe before.
Thank you

keith_r
01-10-2011, 10:59 AM
if you use the spray topically, i don't really think it would affect your turtles..

rfeiller
01-10-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't know if you have osh store down there, but the stores in San Jose do still have lady bugs. Black aphids hit my chile plants in the greenhouse before xmas. Let a package of ladybugs loose and they took care if it. Little buggers do migrate hundreds of miles, so they have to be contained. The ones you buy here fly back to Sacramento and then are caught and resold.

mommyhen42
01-10-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't know if you have osh store down there, but the stores in San Jose do still have lady bugs. Black aphids hit my chile plants in the greenhouse before xmas. Let a package of ladybugs loose and they took care if it. Little buggers do migrate hundreds of miles, so they have to be contained. The ones you buy here fly back to Sacramento and then are caught and resold.
Unfortunatly, I only have Home Depot and Lowes in the area. The nearest Osh that I know of is nearly 70 miles from me... sigh

JCO
01-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Sounds like "HOMING (pigeons) LADYBUGS"! What racket...you sell the, the buyer turns them loose and they come right back home. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

rfeiller
01-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Yea that's I thought having bought them several times for the aphids on the 70 or so rose bushes. Next morning no lady bugs in the yard. Then i watched a documentary on the little stinkers. Now only in the greenhouse. They do an amazing job. They still either got out after the aphids were goone or they fell in the fish tanks.

head rush
01-10-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm with Jacalope.........My secret is to plant and use Marigolds. 'Calendula'
They are usually planted as a companion border plant to my veg beds....Their pungent smell helps to keep some crawlies away, but not all ! The tea will keep the other lot away......again- not all, but it certainly helps. The smell usually masks the smell of all those good things you have grown.
First try a bit to see if this does not chase the turtles away.....or they might even enjoy the flavor, who knows?

Making Natural Marigold Insecticide Spray

Take the whole plant.....leaves, stalks, flowers and roots. Shake off the soil in the roots...... Crush, pound or mash the plant.
Put in a pot and add 2 liters boiling water. Stir. Leave to soak for a day or longer. Strain to clean.
Dilute with 50% water.
This you use in a spray bottle and mist spray your effectd plants often till you notice that your problem has been eleviated.
I normally take the spray bottle with me every time I do a garden walk about.
You could add a half teaspoon of dish washing liquid to the spray bottle.... this helps to 'stick' the marigold 'tea' to the plants longer and is great for aphid control.

Target insects: Repels some beetles, tomato horn worm, some leaf cutting and chewing insects, aphids, ants, nematodes......
I have not had a problem with whitefly-yet! so I don't know if it's the tea or the neighbors garden is tastier than mine.
And for those folk you have chickens...........they say that marigold petals mixed with your chicken feed adds intensity to the color of the egg yolks.
Hope this helps a bit.
Heres a great link
http://www.kari.org/fileadmin/Publicati ... 020506.pdf (http://www.kari.org/fileadmin/Publications/Legume_Project/Legume_Leaflets/PlantPesticides_020506.pdf)

mommyhen42
01-11-2011, 12:40 AM
so its off I go to home depot again to see if I can (1) find the correct marigold, and (2) buy enough to plant plus make the tea... :P
My favorite store next to harbor freight, but hubbys worst nightmare... :mrgreen:

head rush
01-11-2011, 01:49 AM
mommyhen..................any Marigold plant can be used....
I have 4 different kinds here by me and they all do a great job.....
No problem !

Edit : (after thought)
I don't know your varieties there in the States....but they should be the same...I think ! ? ? !
If not, maybe use it by seeping it for longer and possibly not diluting it.
Add, like the others have said.... chilly... ! ! ! Just try.... something has to work>
All the best.

mommyhen42
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Thats good to know as I have some growing between my irises. I had a severe problem with whitefly last year and planted an ornimental variety, but then was told that they would not work and that it had to be the variety mentioned.
Too soon to know if they will chase off the whitefly, but it would be nice.
I will take one and make the tea with it.
Thanks

urbanfarmer
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I have read time and time again that marigolds help with these things, but I have never tried it. I will definitely try it this season as a bunch of horned worms (or whatever they are called) at my entire bed in a matter of days (I was on vacation only to return to some really fat worms / caterpillars).

so its off I go to home depot again to see if I can (1) find the correct marigold, and (2) buy enough to plant plus make the tea... :P
My favorite store next to harbor freight, but hubbys worst nightmare... :mrgreen:

HA, I have a similar problem with the significant other! LOL

mommyhen42
01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
you should see him with my newest project...
I have 2 small wind turbines that are connected to 2 batteries each, fuses, circuit panel I made and then to the voltage regulator and finally to some grid tie invertors...
When I first took him out to the Aviary to see the system and try to explain to him how it works...
He simply said "It looks like you are creating a bomb out here!"
:lol:

Ah... he simply feels overwhelmed with the information I tried to give him... So much for getting him involved in yet another project!
Heaven forbid if he were to watch me clean up a 1/2 horsepower electric motor I found buried in the aviary... He would really be convinced then!

I am also building a DIY HHO system for the car but he insists I do it on his old pickup first.. before my car...

such is life in the country...LOL

head rush
01-11-2011, 02:53 PM
HHO ?

badflash
01-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Look into companion planting. I used to be a dirt farmer before I got into this stuff.
Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening by Louise Riotte is a great book on the subject.

mommyhen42
01-11-2011, 06:47 PM
HHO ?
Off topic I know but here is the short explanation
Hydrogen modifications otherwise known as "browns gas" or water for gas.
this is where you create/use a device which breaks the hydrogen molecules from water, to give you hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is pumped into your engine via your air filter and is burned along with the gasoline, thereby reducing your gas consumption.
This is the simple explanation but gives you the gist of what I am currently working with.
Since I live in California and they passed that stupid bill that will be raising our fuel prices way beyond what the rest of the country will pay... I have to look into technologies that will increase my already good fuel mileage or I will not even be able to afford to drive to the grocery store or my doctors appointments...
This unlike the so called free energy devices (which by the way are bunk)... is a proven technology to not only increase your fuel mileage dramatically but to reduce your emissions as well.

But I also have another reason for researching this device at this time... If I can obtain a gas generator, and modify it to run mostly on browns gas.... I can use it to run my pumps, heaters, etc and possibly grid tie into the house for cheap! I have a friend in Florida, who did the same thing and has better than 85% browns gas running his generator! That means that he is only using 15% of what would be a normal amount of gasoline with the same results... sounds good to me!

badflash
01-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Off topic. We should probably start another thread for this, Mommyhen.

When you do, please post some actual test results showing energy in vs. energy out. From a science standpoint, it takes as much power to crack water as you get back when you burn it. Generators are only about 40% efficient, so overall you should be losing entergy overall and jacking up your power bill. I can see that if the HHO somehow caused your fuel to burn more efficiently, you could gain a bit, but I just don't see how you could ever break even with this.

jackalope
01-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I hope you do start that new thread mommyhen, you've got my interest piqued :!: Links please ;) :lol: :lol:

davidstcldfl
01-13-2011, 05:30 AM
Here's a link to a garden site. This page, lists different plants to use as companions...and ones NOT to plant together.
http://www.homeandgardensite.com/companion_planting.htm

I also, have always had marigolds in my garden. I was told the 'french doubles', were the strongest smelling ones (?)

In FL, we have a ton of the bad kind of nematodes...dang little root suckers. :evil: They are the main reason I started aquaponics.
I received a catalog from 'Seeds Of Change', they have a 'nematocidal' marigold. They recommend growing them as a cover crop and then till it in. They don't look like a typical marigold, in the picture. Wish I knew of them before.... :roll:

urbanfarmer
01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Here's a link to a garden site. This page, lists different plants to use as companions...and ones NOT to plant together.
http://www.homeandgardensite.com/companion_planting.htm

I also, have always had marigolds in my garden. I was told the 'french doubles', were the strongest smelling ones (?)

In FL, we have a ton of the bad kind of nematodes...dang little root suckers. :evil: They are the main reason I started aquaponics.
I received a catalog from 'Seeds Of Change', they have a 'nematocidal' marigold. They recommend growing them as a cover crop and then till it in. They don't look like a typical marigold, in the picture. Wish I knew of them before.... :roll:
I was just thinking about companion planting. I am going to be planting some bamboo (as a natural fence) and luffa plants (similar to cucumber). I guess it might inhibit the growth, but they grow to 25 feet; so, I won't mind!

mommyhen42
01-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Once I get this going and can get some data you bet I will...
One way or another we will find out if this really works or not, but my friend is adamant that it has made those gains for her. Well see
:D

MollyMarie
01-14-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm really hoping that you already got rid of your aphids - but for future reference aphids can be pretty easily drowned by taking the entire plant and dunking it into a bucket of water and holding it for a minute or two, swishing it around and then visually inspecting it to make sure you got them all. As long as your system allows for pulling the plants out, that's gotta be the least toxic way of taking care of the problem!

karldion
07-31-2011, 06:29 AM

boil some garlic, pepper, chilli pepper, (i put in some cayenne too), cool, and put in a spray bottle..

it worked pretty well over the summer, applied after rain, or every few days if i saw any sign of aphids

Yeah can be!., But I really prefer buying instead of efforting doing that.. But nice idea you got there!! ;)

rfeiller
07-31-2011, 08:18 AM
welcome karldion, how 'bout going to the a place to say hello and introducing yourself? :)

urbanfarmer
08-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Yeah can be!., But I really prefer buying instead of efforting doing that.. But nice idea you got there!! ;)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/redlover23/Alien20crawling.gif
WELCOME!

jimjack
04-01-2012, 08:26 AM
the information you give is the best I have found.

pretty much agree that this information is one the best about skadedyr (pest) control according to different situations.

mango matto
04-03-2012, 10:35 PM
What is the best thing for hornworms, or whatever those little B@st@rds are called? Tonight I noticed that they nearly obliterated my broccoli plants. They were so delicate to get started, they were getting nice and strong then bam. I smashed three that I found but, I want to eliminate any possibility of eggs or babies that I couldn't see. Any suggestions on a safe solution? Thanks

urbanfarmer
04-04-2012, 12:20 AM
What is the best thing for hornworms, or whatever those little B@st@rds are called? Tonight I noticed that they nearly obliterated my broccoli plants. They were so delicate to get started, they were getting nice and strong then bam. I smashed three that I found but, I want to eliminate any possibility of eggs or babies that I couldn't see. Any suggestions on a safe solution? Thanks
Stay vigilant.

keith_r
04-04-2012, 05:41 AM
have you tried bt?

mango matto
04-04-2012, 08:00 PM
have you tried bt?
Sorry I'm not sure what bt is.... please elaborate.
Thanks

keith_r
04-05-2012, 06:39 AM
"bt" is bacillus thuringiensis - a soil dwelling bacterium that is fish safe..
"de" is diatomaceous earth, another fish safe pest control, good for slugs/ants, etc

foodchain
04-05-2012, 12:11 PM
please use the correct DE. There's more than one kind. Just a thought.

mango matto
04-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Do you sprinkle it over your grow beds?

keith_r
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
i use an old spice jar with a shaker lid and sprinkle on the growbeds, especially around the base of plants being attacked.. bottom side of leaves is good too

mango matto
04-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the help I will try it out.