PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get it all figured out

mango matto
01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I am new to the forum and I am trying to get it all sorted out. I want to raise tilapia and a variety of vegetables. I can't decide if I want to use a gutter style system or tubs. I can get 55 gallon poly drums or about 12 bucks a piece in my area. I think that adding plumbing will bring that cost up significantly though. I am going to do it all outdoors. I plan on using an intex pool for the fish. Here in the Houston, Texas area they can be had for little more than a song if you look for them during this time of year.. I actually got one for free. I haven't started setting anything up so I am open to all Ideas. Like anything else I do I want to get the most out of it and spend the least amount of money. I am wondering what other people specifically in my area are doing.
Thanks

JCO
01-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
01-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Use craig's list to try to collect as much free materials as you can. Of course, you probably already have an idea for what kinds of items to look for. Once you've collected a good bit, take an inventory and build whatever system you can out of it. That would be the cheapest way to do it.

keith_r
01-31-2011, 06:54 AM
if you go nft (nutrient film tech) in gutters, you'll need to prefilter the water, you don't want solids going through and plugging up your plumbing

grimsteph
01-31-2011, 09:00 AM
I chose tilapia for my system, and I'm glad I did. They have proven to be extremely hardy.

davidstcldfl
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey mango matto, welcome to the forum... :D