PDA

View Full Version : Fish tank material

Luell
01-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Would a galvinized stock tank be ok to raise edible fish, or would plastic be better?

Thanks, Luell, from Tehachapi, CA

davidstcldfl
01-07-2011, 03:34 AM
Hi Luell,
I'd go with plastic.
If your getting the metal tank for cheap, you could use a liner.

keith_r
01-07-2011, 07:03 AM
galvanized (unless aqualined) could leach nasties in the water after a year or two..

have you seen any of the DIY plywood fishtanks on the web?

jackalope
01-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Galvanizing is done with zinc, which can be harmful to your fish, and if you eat your fish, who's going to get those toxins?

The only way I would use Galvanized tanks is if I had the bucks to paint the insides with food-grade paint, which is very expensive. I'd rather take my chances with plastics. Personally, I'm planning on lining plywood tanks with glass, using silicone calk.
I've got one wooden tank (still not done with it) that's lined with pond liner, that's the way I'm going until I can get enuff salvaged glass to start my "glass tank" project!

JCO
01-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.:mrgreen:

rfeiller
01-07-2011, 07:01 PM
luell,
do you have a tractor supply store near you? their prices aren't that bad for their different stock and storage tanks.
plastic/resin, fibreglass preformed pools, abs ponds, liners, no metal. a number of folks are using totes cutting the top off. fish in bottom, plants in top really slick.
i built a 1000 gal wood tank with pond liner.

welcome to the forum.

urbanfarmer
01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Hello and welcome!