PDA

View Full Version : hello from a New Orleanian

Mr. Who
01-06-2011, 10:46 PM
:P hello!

I must have been living under a rock my whole life because I read my first article on aquaponics just 3 days ago!
Being from new orleans I natually love seafood and enjoy growing my own herbs and veggies so when I discovered this article in urban garden mag I just about lost it haha.
I got the ap bug baaaaaad now! I have been reading and looking at videos like a mad man for the past 72hrs and have the set-up on paper and cemented in my mind.
I can't wait to get this ball rollin!

davidstcldfl
01-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Hi Mr Who, welcome to the addiction... :lol:

jackalope
01-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the forum! We're glad you're here!

keith_r
01-07-2011, 11:23 AM
welcome..

you might find those plans that are "cemented" in your mind get many modifications! :D

JCO
01-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and update it with your city and state, some one might be close by.:mrgreen:

rfeiller
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
urban garden magizine is a wonderful publication. so is rosebud and maximum yield.

welcome to the forum.

p.s. don't dig in your heels in to deep on the design. some pretty smart ideas on this forum. :-)

Big Al
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
hi mr. who, welcome to the forum. let us know some of your plan's, best wishes Big Al

Mr. Who
01-07-2011, 09:14 PM
thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Im gonna start a thread in a few days and hope this all works out. Just a quick rundown of the set-up, starting small with a 25gal tank and a 3cu foot bed 1'x1'x3' Planning on filling it up with 3/4" gravel but the the home depot has nothing that will suit my needs I'll figure something ells out.

keith_r
01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
the local big box stores should have "river gravel", the "pea" gravel i've seen looks way small..

i searched online for a few days and found 50liter bags of hydroton (an expanded clay product) for $20, so used that to top off the river gravel in each growbed

be careful with "gravel" as you want something that is ph neutral, (no limestone or marble)

you might even find what you need at a landscaping place

Mr. Who
01-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info keith :mrgreen:

I was thinking of using hydroton but for some reason dont want to go with it...
Went to home depot and all the rocks they have seem to be mixed with limestone and or granite, but they do have lavarock that seems to tickle my fancy :P thats if its a good medium to use...

Well thanks again for the warm welcome and I'll be moving this operation over to another thread soon.

Later, Mr. Who

rfeiller
01-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I have both hdroton and lava I prefer lava, the expanded clay is constantly moving. I find the root structure is better in black lava. I found the same thing was true in bonsai

Mr. Who
01-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I have both hdroton and lava I prefer lava, the expanded clay is constantly moving. I find the root structure is better in black lava. I found the same thing was true in bonsai

Thank you for the info rfeiller! I have read some good things about using black lava.