PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Houston, Texas

mango matto
01-05-2011, 11:45 PM
I have been wanting to do this for three years and this year I am gonna pull the trigger. I want to grow Tilapia. I am not sure what plants to grow since I have never been a gardener. I have four kids and I would love to be able to supply their healthy desire for fruits and veggies. We love to eat fish here too.... I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Hotrodmike
01-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Welcome to another Texas boy !
As far as what to grow ,grow what you like . There are very few things that do not do well in AP ,so the book is wide open on that one . Your biggest limitation is how much space you have and how many beds can you put up . Depending on the type of system you build will determin what type of plants will do better than others .
Do keep in mind Texas does have restrictions on most breeds of Tilapia ! With the temps there you are open to some breeds that are not restricted .
So with 3 years of planning you must have a pretty good idea of the type of system you are going to build . So what are your ideas ?
Have A Kind Day
Mike

mango matto
01-06-2011, 01:24 AM
I know there are restrictions on Tilapia here in Texas but I can't find my notes from a discussion I had with a kind lady from TP&W. With all the research I've done I still don't know how I'm gonna set it up. I did find great success with soldier flies during the summer so I will certainly implement that. Duckweed seems pretty interesting but I think it is restricted here also. I want to minimize or avoid feeding the fish commercial fish food. I have a fair amount of space for living in the city. I want to set up like 8 55 gallon drums giving me 16 grow beds. I'm here to sort out some of my set up ideas. I can't wait.

davidstcldfl
01-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Hi mango matto, welcome to the forum... :D

Hotrodmike made a good point....most every thing does well in AP. As far as 'when' and maybe
'which' variety of plant does best in your area......try your local extension office. They should be able to hook you up with some info...maybe evn get to meet someone that has a mastergardner certifacation.

keith_r
01-06-2011, 06:54 AM
there's a place called overton fisheries in tx (not sure where that is from you though) that i've read good things about regarding their fish stock

JCO
01-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Go to your profile and put in your location in case some members are close by.:mrgreen:

rfeiller
01-06-2011, 08:12 PM
welcome to the forum

jackalope
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Welcome, welcome! Good to have you here.

Big Al
01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
hi mango, welcome to the forum. let us know some of your plan's, best wishes Big Al

HOU_Mike
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi there. I'm also a new member from Houston. Overton Fisheries is off of I-45 North between Centerville and Buffalo (about 3 hours from me). I've read about it from another Houston poster somewhere. He managed to get all his fish back just in time before they ran out of oxygen in the water. The pricing sounded kinda steep too.

See you around.

urbanfarmer
02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Hello and welcome! :mrgreen: