PDA

View Full Version : new guy on here Pahrump nv/ Philippines

dennis
12-29-2010, 11:09 PM
just to log on and say a warm hello to all it is nice to be with others sharing same passion, i live in pahrump nevada, not sure if i will do a system here but for sure i am planning a large system in Biliran ( undiscovered paradise ) Philippines. while i wanted to do small commercial system here in pahrump and almost bought an acre of land here i ran into Nye county and all the nice regulations and feel to comply with regulations here and considering bill s-510 food control bill, i will focus on doing the philippines, will pay off 4 acres in march and spend time getting all ready road, power etc and hope in 6 months to one year start a simple ebb and flow ( family size but big family lol ), then after a house put in larger raft system, plan on hand building our own tanks from ferrocement ( stronger and cheeper ) and may then offer ferrocement tanks and construction to others while i am at it cheers to all

JCO
12-30-2010, 06:29 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
12-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Hi Dennis, Welcome to the forum..... :D

Wow, Pahrump.... that brought back lots of memories, when I read where your living... :D

I was stationed at Nellis at the end of the 70's/begging of the 80's. I worked at The Sands for a year or so when I got out of the service. Never was interested much in the lights and glitz of the city. Spent many weekends hiking at Mt Charleston and going to Lake Mead. I put many a mile on my motorcycle....some of them riding through Pahrump.

I had an old farm house on the west side of Las Vegas with a fire place. I thought I'd save some money on fire wood. I got a permit from the BLM to go to Mt Charleston and cut down some of the trees that had caught on fire. (Dennis is probably already chuckling) Several 'chains' later...I had a good stack of bristle cone. That stuff has got to be at least twice as hard as any good oak.. :o I ended up buying 'imported' fire wood anyway, just to try to get that pine to burn... :roll:

I'm surprised you ran into so many regulations...? I picture Pahrump being mostly farm area (back then). It's not like your tilapia would escape and make it to Lake Mead... .. :lol:
I'm sure I'd be shocked at how big Las Vegas and Pahrump is now....... :shock:

:D ......seem to remember, there was a song about Pahrump .......?

rfeiller
12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
welcome dennis,
hope you enjoy the forum. i just recently purchased land north of reno and had my first conversations with the fish and wildlife, i've mentioned on this forum the restrictions and a way around them at a price. i was surprised that i could not find any aggi land it was all single family residential and that in itself created major obsticles. i can not produce any product for sale, or give away (which i found odd). i can buy water rights, but can't produce crops for market only personal use.

good luck in you adventure. by the way if your property is connected to a storm drains system, has any natural water on it (creek, artisean spring etc) you probably can not have tilapia, if you are a long distance where rain, or floods can not wash you fish into a waterway of any kind you fill out a form pleading your case submit it and if approved you can give the state of nv 500 dollars and get a commercial permit

dennis
12-30-2010, 09:48 AM
lol yes david , you made me laugh i recall a cold night with my old bronco parked on a steep hill in the spring mountains flashlight in one hand changing a fuel pump in the middle of the road with firewood spread up and down the same road for a half mile
Thanks

dennis
12-30-2010, 10:02 AM
thanks rfeiller it might have been your post that got me to join here as i was surfing looking for answers about fish and game regs here in nv, pahrump has changed alot, i first moved to nevada in 91 and pahrump had no building codes one of the last placs in usa i think but when they changed this they went overboard
the land here i speak of is one acre and i have not bought, the 4 acers i am buying is in the Philippines, i had planned to buy here keep the wife busy at home with the aquaponics and farmers markets, which i could sort of do, as many people here have dirt gardens and do much the same thing, but if i produced too much i am sure it would get someones attention, it is really silly, this land is on a well and they say i can pump something like 18,000 gallons per day, i really crave to be doing this myself but with a tight budget i may be forced to move to vegas cut cost send every penny to start this in the Philippines, the big problem is i am the one with the passion and drive to read and learn, it is hard to explain to family members what i need done over the internet, but i may have someone here i can send for a few months, or i might get the local university on Biliran island to become involved that have ag and fisheries department as well as engineering and also teach electrical and plumbing, so where there is a will there is a way
have you seen the food safty bill? and how it will effect us all in near future

dennis
12-30-2010, 10:09 AM
oh by the way rfeiller when you spoke to f&g the permit is that a one time 500 dollar fee or is it every year, if i could find someone here that shares the passion i might still try to buy this house and land and do some here if you know anyone that wants to live cheep and loves this sort of thing let me know in next month, heck i might even let them buy this place 30,000 house and one acre and i will rent a room or rent the rv out back and we can build it together and share the food, i just hate the idea to move back to the city but driving 700 miles a week when i work in vegas sucks lol

davidstcldfl
12-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Dennis, I worked with a waiter that had built an under-ground home on the east side of Charlie...I think it was the southern turn off / closest to LV. I thought he had a long drive to work ! Your trip must be longer (?)

That would be tough...moving back to town.... :(

dennis
12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
lol yes long drive but i do not always go to vegas, sometimes co. sends me to calif, but they pay for that trip, not the drive to vegas, well if moving to vegas allows me to set up business in the philippines then it is worth it, but :? sigh yes no more sleeping in the back yard watching stars etc lol, i guess most on my budget would not try to have a business in a differant country, but the dollar goes so much farther, and regulations for farming are simple in the PI

rfeiller
12-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Dennis, in NV it is standard 1800 gals not 18000 gals a day for single family. you can buy acre feet water rights for around 6k each if available. a lot of areas are being bought up. water is the next oil.

the 500 fee is annually. with a commercial permit you can sell the tilapia if i remember they have to be dead. to prevent getting loose.

the International Building Code and the International Residential codes have been adopted in various formates in the USA and abroad to bring a conformity to the building industry. a lot of growing pains for a lot of people.

rich

dennis
12-31-2010, 08:41 AM
yes you are right , sorry one to many zeors, sorry not much at typing, wow 500 a year, that sucks, makes it too expensive for personal use, but there are other fish, how did fish and game deal with other fish ?? do you need permits ?
do you know then about building permits in navada in general if pipe was put in ground with no cement for a low cost greenhouse, is it considered a temp structure and not regulated?, i was watching a vid of hoop house building and in their area clamied they could by pass building codes this way, even when it was a large greenhouse and not so cheep, just wonder if it is the same here

rfeiller
12-31-2010, 11:07 AM
you can raise a lot of different species that are native or commercial as long as they are contained. you can acquire trout, bass, and other game fish to use, which is a whole lot better than ca. ca you can kill game fish but you can't keep them alive, go figure. you loose the advantage of tilapia being herbivorius and being fast growing, but some other fish are better: eating. bass, perch, and you don't have to heat the water. trout you would have to chill the water throughout the summer.