PDA

View Full Version : Pump recommendation

gosmith
12-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm trying to get the pump figured out for my system. My FT will be 4' x 8' and filled to 3', which calculates out to 718 gallons. In addition, my initial 10 GBs will hold 290 gallons of water, after accounting for the gravel. That's roughly 1,000 gallons total. If I understand correctly, I want the GBs to cycle twice an hour, so I'd need at least a 2,000 GPH pump. Can somebody make a recommendation for a pump this size?

I found a Wayne RUP160 1/6 HP, 3,000 GPH Oilless Submersible for $49.12 at Amazon, which seems pretty reasonable, but don't know what specific features I should be looking for. TIA

Gary

davidstcldfl
12-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi Gary, Lots of variables to consider.
Your right about trying to cycle the Fish tanks water about twice an hour
If your adding air pumps, or venturies or spray bars to your return, you could cut back on the flow 'some'

Most important thing is the 'head'. How much water will a pump push at a certain height. Most pumps will have a 'perfomance flow chart'. Really need that info to make a good decision.
Second,check the wattage....some pumps use more then others (for the same flow)

Badflash is using Intex swimming pool pumps. He seems happy with them....they don't cost too much and are pretty good on the watts used.
Danner pumps are pretty good...so are Little giants

I have 2 pumps returning water to my fish tank...if one stops working, at least I still have some flow. If your really serious.... have them on separate circuits.

Hope this helps some. Lets see what the other guys say... :)

gosmith
12-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks David,

I only have to pump uphill about 4 feet, but I think you're saying to look at the flow chart to make sure there's enough flow at THAT head height. Will do.

I really like the Badflash Intex and the fact it only uses 80 watts, but it's only 600 GPH. I could use 4 of them, but my guess is that they would use more wattage than a single bigger pump. I do want to keep the wattage as low as possible for future PV solar or hydro. Intex does have a 2500 GPH at $130. It uses a filter, which I don't want, but maybe it can be bypassed. I also like the idea of an external pump rather than submersible.

Thanks for the tips. Will check those Danner and Little Giants, along with flow charts and wattage. Whatever pump I get, I'll buy two so there's a backup.

Gary

davidstcldfl
12-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Gary,your tank is 700 gals. You can aim for 1 1/2 times that amount, per hour....1000 gals (+) per hour of flow.
Two pumps that will move 600 gph at 4 feet would be great.

Add a venturi to at least 1 return, to compensate for less flow....

Here's a DIY...
http://leisure.prior-it.co.uk/venturi-p ... tion.shtml (http://leisure.prior-it.co.uk/venturi-pond-aeration.shtml)

I use these ...I do have an airline hooked to them.....adds a lot of water 'movement'....
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... /venturi/0 (http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3537/Venturi/venturi/0)

A DIY spray bar would be nice too....mine is a 1" pvc, about 6 feet long with holes drilled every few inches. I have a 90 on the end, pointing upward.... in case the holes plug, the water can still flow. This does a great job at breaking up the water's surface, which is where a lot of oxygen is being added.

The front right corner is where the air is rising from the venturi...not as impressive in this 'still' photo.
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad157/davidstcldfl/enoughoxygen.jpg

badflash
12-21-2010, 10:16 AM
If you use 2 pumps it is best to plumb them separately. If you don't you can get into a "strong pump weak pump" issue where one pump hogs all the flow and you don't get the benefit of two pumps.

davidstcldfl
12-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Good point on plumbing seperate lines.
Over sizing the pipe helps too....it will eventually get a bio-film build up, which will slow the flow some.
The discharge on my pumps are 3/4 inch, but I ran 1" pvc. Less presure, but a little more volume.

gosmith
12-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Thanks for these ideas guys. I'll eventually have four sets of GBs, each with it's own sump. Using separate pumps in each would allow me to keep each set of GBs isolated, then keep one extra pump as a backup. I definitely will add the venturis and spray bar, along with the oversized pipes. Won't hurt to use two 45s instead of 90s for all the elbows either.

David- When you mentioned that my tank is 700 gals and would only have to aim at 1 1/2 times that amount for circulation, shouldn't the total water volume also include what is in the GBs and sumps at any given time?

Here is an initial schematic. The sump will actually be under the grow beds and none of this is to scale. Please let me know if I'm on the right track or if you see any improvements I should add.

Gary

[attachment=0:1i1na00f]Plumbing_Schematic.jpg[/attachment:1i1na00f]

davidstcldfl
12-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi Gary, nice schematic.... :mrgreen:
Most only consider the water volume 'in the fish tank'.
I was told that the rule of thumb about moving the water twice an hour....came from 'aquaculture'.
Considering a 'balanced AP system'....I've read where that much flow, isn't necessary. Some successfully go with less then 1 times an hour. They are using air pumps in the fish tank too.

You drew drains on every thing.
In order to save on costs, I didn't add any to my system. If I were to it again, I 'might' put one on the FT. The grow beds can be drained by just removing the stand pipe from the bell siphon. My sump(s) are in the ground...FL is flat, no where for it to drain to... :roll:... :lol:
I do have a nice sump pump, that has threads for a garden hose.

One thing you might consider....is a 'high point' overflow(s) on your fish tank. Mine go straight back to the sumps.
If work needs to be done on the GB's, the water flow into the fish tank can still be maintained. When it's really cold, the GB's can also be by-passed, since that's an area where a lot of heat is lost.

badflash
12-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Flow rate requirements are for the fish tank only, not the entire system.