PDA

View Full Version : Hello

macnugget
12-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Hello my name is Nick and I live in Dayton Ohio I currently have a small aquaponic set up in the basement and Im doing research right now so I can start an aquaponics program in school for k-12. We have a vacant green house that need to be put to use so thats my goal for the next year. I volunteer my time at the school to teach embryology and backyard chickens

Thanks
Nick

jackalope
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! Questions are always welcome, don't be too skeeered to ask, we don't bite (well, maybe one or two of us, but not all of us :lol: :lol: ) We love questions, and we especially love photos ;) Please be sure to put where you live in your profile so we know what part of the country/hemisphere/planet you are in ..... someone who lives nearby may be able to help you out personally as well.

We have a great FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/faq.php) button for navigating the website controls, etc. at the top of the page, next to the "Members" button, please check it out if you haven't already done so.
We also have another FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=93) section which contains many of the hints and tips that have been collected along the way ..........

Before posting any URLs or emails, please take a look at the Forum Rules (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=103) .....
If you see something that you would like added to these FAQs, please let a moderator or admin know, and we'll discuss it and possibly add it to the list!

BTW, we have a special section for off-topic conversations called "The Sump" (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=102) to hopefully avoid crapping threads and keeping things on topic ;)

Once again, WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!: :!:

davidstcldfl
12-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi macnugget....welcome.... :D

JCO
12-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
12-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Hello and welcome! :D

macnugget
12-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Its 10f here today just working on a few things to pass the time. Are any of you putting worms in your grow beds? I a got a worm bin in the basement Ive been using with the extra scraps I have. most got to the chickens

davidstcldfl
12-18-2010, 05:04 PM
I just started to use them recently.

keith_r
12-19-2010, 07:57 AM
i've had red wiggler worms in my growbeds since i started this past spring.. cold here in northeast ohio too...
best of luck!

macnugget
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Keith_r what fish do you have in your system . I just got gold fish right now but when I get the school system up and running i plan on using Yellow perch

keith_r
12-20-2010, 08:07 AM
i have 10 yellow perch in one 55 gal tank, 15 bluegill in one 55 gal tank, in my 3rd tank i've got rosy red minnows and 3 crayfish (local crays)
hoping the rosy red's breed, i saw a couple cray's mating but i will be removing the crayfish and am going to try red claw crays

JCO
12-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Keith_r

Speak to badflash about the Red Claws before you put them in the same water where the native crays have been. American crays carry a virus that is fatal to Red Claws and I don't know how you could guarantee that the tank is rid of it before placing your Red Claws into it. I raise Red Claws myself but have never raise any other kinds of crays. He raises numerous kinds of crays including Red Claws and is probably the best authority to talk to about it. :mrgreen:

badflash
12-20-2010, 02:33 PM
I would not mix Cherax with any native american crayfish. The risk is pretty high.

keith_r
12-21-2010, 06:50 AM
yeah, the native cray will be gone for a couple weeks before i get the redclaw.. been reading quite a bit on it..