PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Clayton NC

steves68
12-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Greetings from NC,

I just got my first IBC (International Bulk Container) to turn into an Aquaponics system. I would like to keep it outside year round, but not sure how to pull that off. I am looking forward to reading and sharing Ideas. Would love to hear from others in my area.

Steve

urbanfarmer
12-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Hello and welcome!

davidstcldfl
12-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Hello steves68 ......welcome ... :D

The UV from the sun will break down the tank. You'll at least, have to protect it from that.

If your thinking about tilapia, you'll need lots of insulation and some kind of heating. A good percentage of the heat is lost as the water goes through the growbeds, rather then the fish tank.
Lot's to consider, before you start :D
Good luck....looking forward to hearing some more.

JCO
12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Also, please go to your profile and list there where you are from so it will show up on the side under your name. :mrgreen:

Big Al
12-14-2010, 04:29 PM
hi steves68, welcome to the forum, what type of fish are you thinking of raising. what are the weather condition's
in your area. i use ibc's myself for my system. good luck with your project. best wishes Big Al

jackalope
12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi steves68;

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! Questions are always welcome, don't be too skeeered to ask, we don't bite (well, maybe one or two of us, but not all of us :lol: :lol: ) We love questions, and we especially love photos ;) Please be sure to put where you live in your profile so we know what part of the country/hemisphere/planet you are in ..... someone who lives nearby may be able to help you out personally as well.

We have a great FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/faq.php) button for navigating the website controls, etc. at the top of the page, next to the "Members" button, please check it out if you haven't already done so.
We also have another FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=93) section which contains many of the hints and tips that have been collected along the way ..........

Before posting any URLs or emails, please take a look at the Forum Rules (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=103) .....
If you see something that you would like added to these FAQs, please let a moderator or admin know, and we'll discuss it and possibly add it to the list!

BTW, we have a special section for off-topic conversations called "The Sump" (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=102) to hopefully avoid crapping threads and keeping things on topic ;)

Once again, WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!: :!:

steves68
12-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Hello steves68 ......welcome ... :D

The UV from the sun will break down the tank. You'll at least, have to protect it from that.

If your thinking about tilapia, you'll need lots of insulation and some kind of heating. A good percentage of the heat is lost as the water goes through the growbeds, rather then the fish tank.
Lot's to consider, before you start :D
Good luck....looking forward to hearing some more.

David,
I didn't think that would be a problem with the UV. A friend of mine has used one in his Horse pasture for a few years and hasn't had a problem. I would have thought they were made to resist UV. I guess I will have to get some Ideas for that.

Thanks,
Steve

steves68
12-16-2010, 04:40 PM
hi steves68, welcome to the forum, what type of fish are you thinking of raising. what are the weather condition's
in your area. i use ibc's myself for my system. good luck with your project. best wishes Big Al

Al,
I was thinking about Catfish or another fish that might do well in this area year round. I think before I decide on a fish for the long term I might try a few goldfish for a trial run. I am also working with a local organic farmer friend trying to get his test system working. We hope to learn a bunch together. I will post some pictures of what I have as I progress.

Steve