PDA

View Full Version : hello

blondeoverboard
12-05-2010, 08:27 AM
hello all

my family and i want to begin raising fish in our backyard. we live in the suburbs of houston, tx. i believe that's planting zone 9 (don't know if that is important information). i could really use some suggestions on how to get started without investing in a set up that will break the bank as well as which fish would be best suited to our needs ~ a species that is simple to maintain, not time intensive and will produce well enough to feed a family of four.

thanks,

~debra~

davidstcldfl
12-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi debra, Welcome to the forum.... :D

a species that is simple to maintain, not time intensive and will produce well enough to feed a family of four.
I'm not trying to discourage you.
This is a form of farming. You'll need to dedicate a certain amount of time (almost) daily.

badflash
12-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Your state requires you to get a permit to raise any non-indigenous fish.
Check http://www.texasagriculture.gov/agr/pro ... nelId=5600 (http://www.texasagriculture.gov/agr/program_render/0,1987,1848_5600_0_0,00.html?channelId=5600)
before you do anything.

blondeoverboard
12-05-2010, 01:17 PM
badflash: didnt' know about the permit, thanks for the link and the information.

david: daily time is a given, we already have an large garden and a few animals that require that level of attention. just want to make sure that i'm not getting myself in over my head with something that's going to consume my days.

~d~

JCO
12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

stucco
12-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Welcome aboard!

davidstcldfl
12-05-2010, 04:02 PM
david: daily time is a given, we already have an large garden and a few animals that require that level of attention. just want to make sure that i'm not getting myself in over my head with something that's going to consume my days.
Thats great Debra....You've got a big start on most people...... :D

Hotrodmike
12-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I guess the question would be what type of fish do you like to eat as you do have quite a few options that far south . You will have to have a fairly large set up to feed 4 people but then no one wants to eat fish every day :lol: so I guess the question would be how much of your food do you want to produce . Texas has many fish to offer from catfish ,bass , crapie ,etc you will want to do some fish research as many will not breed in smaller tanks . Some wont take a lot of heat and some wont take a lot of cold . Tilapia are one of the best growers ,love heat ,hate cold but the State of Tejas really frowns one the better breeds . I really recomend reading through the forum and get some knowledge as I dont think any one here can tell you what ,how big ,or what kind of fish . If you are just into fish you might be better with a pond if you have the room . If you want to do the aquaponics then your grow beds and fish tank have to be sized accordingly to the size of the tank and fish load . There is no one simple answer . For mine I have a 1200 gal tank but only 650 gallons of bed so I can not run a full load based on 1200 gallons but I can always add more bed to add more fish .Even the temp here on lake travis is lower than you guys get . So read read read and ask lots of question .
Have A Kind Day
Mike

urbanfarmer
12-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Hello and welcome! :mrgreen:

Big Al
12-07-2010, 05:05 PM
hi blondeoverboard, welcome to the forum best wishes. Big Al