PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Southern California

Longshot
12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm currently planning/designing a small aquaponics system in my backyard. I live in Long Beach, California, which has a pretty mild coastal climate (no frost, little rain, winter temps in the 40s-60s, summer in the 60s-80s). I've already gleaned tons of quality info from this forum, so I figured I'd join up and bounce some ideas off everybody. Please weigh in! I have very little experience in aquaculture and hydroponics, so I can use whatever tips you've got.
I've got a 12x12 concrete slab in the corner of my yard that I'd like to set my system up on. Here's what I'm thinking thus far:
2 GBs, 1 FT, no sump
Ebb and flow method to flood GBs, gravity flow back to FT
Based on what I've read, tilapia seems like a good choice for an edible fish
In addition to leafy greens and herbs, I'd like to try to grow tomatoes to see how they do in AP versus dirt gardens

I haven't fully pored through the existing posts in this forum, so I won't ask any specific questions just yet. Just thought I'd throw this out there. I'd especially like to hear from other folks in the Southern California area.

Thanks!
Danny

badflash
12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
You are on the right track. O. mossambicus is legal, most others are not. The regulators are liars or idiots, or both, so make them show you chapter and verse of any regulations.

Mossies don't get big enough for good fillets, but they are fine headed, gutted and scaled. Pick the meat off the bone at the plate. Yummy.

Longshot
12-03-2010, 04:30 PM
I read in a few spots that blue tilapia are particularly well suited for AP- any idea on the legal status of these guys? I also read something about how legality depends on whether the fish are kept in a "closed system" or an "open system". I assume an AP system would be considered "closed" (isn't that the whole point?). I would like something that gets big enough to fillet...

JCO
12-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
12-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Hello and welcome!

Yes, it would be considered a closed system. You need to check directly with your local governing organizations to determine the legality of the fish you wish to use. Heed badflash's advice and get the details from the local authorities and verify what they tell you. Also, with a small enough system you can always try to pass certain restricted fish species off as pets, but that may not work for your area. In Florida you can pass off certain african cichlids as pets... that is what I heard from a friend anyway! LOL :lol:

keith_r
12-03-2010, 07:30 PM
look into what people are growing in ponds in your area..

Big Al
12-04-2010, 05:59 AM
hi longshot, welcome to the addiction. you will be suprised how big tomatoes get in
an ap system and everything else you plant as well. good luck with your setup you've
got sum nice weather condition's for growing thing's in. it's 28 degree's and snowing
here right now for me. best wishes Big Al

badflash
12-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Blues are banned in California and are listed as an invasive species.

I read in a few spots that blue tilapia are particularly well suited for AP- any idea on the legal status of these guys? I also read something about how legality depends on whether the fish are kept in a "closed system" or an "open system". I assume an AP system would be considered "closed" (isn't that the whole point?). I would like something that gets big enough to fillet...

wolfracer
12-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Welcome to the forum Longshot!

badflash
12-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I added a link for the california regulations here:
State Tilapia Regulations (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?636-State-Tilapia-Regulations)

As you find the regs for other states, add them to the thread.

urbanfarmer
12-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I added a link for the California regulations here:
State Tilapia Regulations (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?636-State-Tilapia-Regulations)

As you find the regs for other states, add them to the thread.

Wow, great work!

JCO
12-04-2010, 05:14 PM
A place to say Hello is for just that....to introduce yourself and get your feet on the ground. When that is accomplished, please pick a topic of interest and start your own thread otherwise we will be saying hello every time some one post on this thread. Please Enjoy every minute you are here as we will enjoy having you and hopefully someone here can be of assistance to get you up and running. :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
12-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Hi Longshot ...welcome.... :D

Allie
02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Hi, I'm pretty close to you. I just joined this forum. I'm starting with a small barrel system, but I'm having some trouble finding the fish. Let me know if you find a good source for tilapia.

smokiijas
12-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Hi guys. I live in Huntington beach and just join this forum. Just research for a few months now and have a system planned out and would like everyones input before I decide to get started. I know its a big one considering its my first. But I have to funds available set aside $13k. So in my backyard I have a space of 50x14 feet available. I'm thinking about building a greenhouse that size then lay the greenhouse w pond liner. Then I build like a deck on it. So in my greenhouse the bottom layer is a pond then plywood Will be supported by 4" pvc pipe. On the plywood would be all the trays running from one end of the greenhouse to the other. I'm planning on raising Australia red claws catfish shrimps and mussels. The reason why I have such a large pond is because I'm interested in mainly raising red claws and they need a lot of space. My pond at one end Will be section into 2 other compartments like take 14ft x 5ft and get 2 areas for catfish and bio filter to be put. Then water is pump to trays. I will start with one 4ftx50ft tray first then add more as I go. My width is 14ft so I'm guessing I can have 2 trays easy. Then if I want to grow more I can always hang strawberry towers pvc grow pipe vertical drain into the trays. N also the plywood above the water I can always cut to put lettuce floating rafts right under the tray. In my pond will be 3 layers of 4" pvc Chris crossing each layers. The pvc is cut into strawberry towers so the redclaws can have their own compartments to hide. In between the 4" pvc is 4'x8' lattice laying my pond so there is more surface space for red claws. So what Im doing is making a red claws condo in my pond underneath the plywood. I'm hoping to be able to house close to 2000 red claws with my space. With the fish I'll play with the number of fish I will stock according to the water conditions. I think this is a good set-up to start then tweek it as I go. Please give my your input as I'm gonna start after this cold season.

aquahealth
12-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Hey Longshot, Anyone wanting to do aquaponics, as simple as the idea is, is in for a long walk down, or up, a very long road, which isn't really bad, but you need to read-read-read-read-read, and keep reading, search all the blogs, even just typing in a question where you'd normally put in a website address, and from there you'll find other links. There are tons of things to know if you want to do it right, and you almost have to be a doctor at it. it's amazing how much there is to know in order to get a good handle on it all. Keep reading is extremely good advice as it is very powerful, but no one will do it for you. And no one can answer all your questions, so just keep going at it.

Roger L.
12-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the group. You will find everyone here more than willing to help. IMHO you should do a smaller system to learn on and then build your large system. The money can sit and grow interest. If you are like me you will find that if you were to start over there would be many things you would do differently. We all know ourselves best though, so if your going into your system full on, I wish you best of luck.

smokiijas
12-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I was gonna take a bit of a risk by starting big and adjust as I go. But at a second thought maybe ill just start with one 4'x8' tray and two medium tanks underneath. This can be my trial run then when I build my larger one it will be way better. Now to think about it. If I get going w the big one and somehow have to re-do the pond underneath would be some labor. Lol

Since I'm doing this small setup I can start right away and not wait til spring. I will update in a few weeks :)

spartan081
12-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Hey Danny, I'm also new to the forum and also from Socal (Garden Grove)! My friends and I have been doing aquaponics in our backyard for a few years now and always looking to network with like minded people. Check out our facebook page. www.goodmana.com (http://www.goodmana.com)

spartan081
12-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Hi smokiijas, we are also neighbors! If you want to network with some of us already doing aquaponics in the area just shoot me a PM.

Richard