PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Washington state

North Light
11-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Hello all. I'm looking at starting a small indoor aquaponic system to get my feet wet, as it were. I have been thinking of going without media, but it looks like some people here use red worms to help maintain media? How well does that work? What kind of media do they need?

JCO
11-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and yes by all means, keep your feet dry if possible. Enjoy. :mrgreen:

badflash
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
How small are we talking? Regular large pea gravel work fine on a flood & drain system. Worms do fine. Not so good in a system that is constant.

gosmith
11-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi North Light. Welcome from another WA stater.

Gary

rfeiller
11-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Welcome to the forum

North Light
11-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

badflash- Small is all relative I suppose. Self reliance is important to my family and we raise or grow quite a bit of our own food now. Indoor aquaponics would certainly expand what we could do. I have an empty 75 gallon tank and a open top food grade 55 gallon poly drum. Those along with a home made grow bed seem like a reasonable starting size.

North Light
11-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi North Light. Welcome from another WA stater.

Thanks, it seems like we are not the only ones around. I'm in Skagit as well.

davidstcldfl
11-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Hello North Light....Welcome... :D

Looking forward to hearing some more about what you plan to do.

Big Al
11-30-2010, 05:22 AM
hi North Light, welcome, what size grow bed's were you thinking of building and what type of
fish were you thinking of growing. best wishes Big Al

urbanfarmer
11-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Hello and welcome! :mrgreen:

gosmith
12-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey North Light- There's a couple of other Puget Sounders here, but nobody with an operating system yet, as far as I know. Cool you're in Skagit County. Be nice to have someone local to compare notes with. Start a thread with some of the ideas you've been thinking about and you'll get some serious input.

Gary