PDA

View Full Version : Aquaponics in AZ

bfulton
11-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey all, Just posting to say hello and I'll put up picks of my current setup as soon as possible. It's quite small because we live in a townhouse and my wife wasn't into the idea of fish in the house. So I utilized a counter in our tiny backyard to place my grow bed wich is a under bed storage container and connected it to a 100L fish tank which is also a plastic storage container. Started with goldfish and just updated to tilapia. Still getting my bearings with the possibilities and hope you will all be a wonderful source of information for me.

urbanfarmer
11-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Hello and welcome!

rfeiller
11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
welcome to the forum

davidstcldfl
11-22-2010, 03:14 AM
Hi Brady....welcome.. :D

Big Al
11-22-2010, 05:22 AM
hi brady, welcome looking forward to seeing your pictures of your system good luck. Big Al

JCO
11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

green2go
11-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Hello ppl I am Richard. I live in Marana AZ. I have spent the last week and a half reading all the posts on this blog (and still reading) . I am new to all this. I would like to build a DWC setup with two levels for planting and the pond below. Just to see how well it will take off in this climate. Does any one know the best (legal in Arizona) tilapia to farm in climate zone 9A? If all goes well I want to add more units. I would like to grow to the point I can stay home and farm fish and food (long term goal). I have an acre to work with. I would also like to find like minded people in the area.

urbanfarmer
11-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Welcome Richard :mrgreen:

Big Al
11-23-2010, 05:31 AM
hi richard, welcome and good luck with your goal's. best wishes Big Al

green2go
11-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Does any one know the best (legal in Arizona) tilapia to farm in climate zone 9A (my part of Arizona)?

urbanfarmer
11-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Does any one know the best (legal in Arizona) tilapia to farm in climate zone 9A (my part of Arizona)?
Just about any Tilapia will work for that zone. I'm in zone 9b and I have Blue and Nile tilapia alive and it has gotten pretty cold out here. I have an outdoor 700 gallon tank in the ground. The lining is black and it picks up a good bit of heat during the day, but I have never checked to see how much heat it loses at night. The tilapia are alive though!

Big Al
11-25-2010, 05:48 AM
hi green2go, check with the arizona dept. of fish & game. they can probably help you out.
find out what is legal to raise then someone can point you in the right direction here as far
as what to raise. best wishes Big Al

green2go
11-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I will have to wait till monday to do that. I know It will take me some time to build up my stock of fish. That will give me the time I need to build my system. I'm looking at building a 5' tall 4' wide 36' long system. With the top and second level (and maybe a third level) as grow beds and a 1-2' deep trench and 6" - 1' above ground as a pond/tank under the unit. I have old working pool pumps. All I wil have to buy is the PVC and the plastice liner for the tank and beds. I will post photo's as I go.