PDA

View Full Version : Crawdad Identification ....

jackalope
03-13-2009, 09:14 PM
I got three today, they weren't too expensive ..... I've looked all over the Internet and the closest I can come is that they are a Procambarus Fallax Clik ;) (http://www.biolib.cz/en/taxonimage/id27198/?taxonid=306900) ( I was hoping they were a Marmorkreb and the LFS didn't know it ....... but they're more speckled than marbled, so that's out :( ......... at the same time, they aren't as speckled as the pics of the speckled crayfish ........ The LFS just called them a crayfish, but they didn't know what kind they were ...... when I figure out how to put a pic up, I'll try to get a good pic of one or more of them and put it up in case someone can identify them. ;) Hopefully by Sunday or so .......

I also decided that this would be a good thread to start in case someone gets crawdads that they can't identify, or have been mis-identified by a LFS, that way if they put a pic up, others may be able to help them come close to an identification ;).

jackalope
03-15-2009, 08:15 AM
OK, I was looking at crawdads on eBay last nite, and I found one just like the three I've got, and one of the pics is exactly like the ones I have .... they called it a "Florida Marbled Crayfish" (Procambarus Fallax) (http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-FLORIDA-MARBLED-CRAYFISH-BLUE-EYED-MULTICOLORED_W0QQitemZ220376360470QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220376360470&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50) look at pics #4, #6 and #7. So I guess I was right ..... OR ..... I was wrong and there's another cray that looks the same except the one's I bought don't have blue eyes :? ....... so it looks like I'll still be buying a Marmorkreb to get the ones I really want. These, I'll just have to see if there's a male and female amongst them so I can feed the babies to the Goldies ;). I just couldn't pass these up for the price ;)

badflash
03-15-2009, 08:39 AM
ID of crays are a tricky business and best left to experts. To properly ID good close up pics are needed of the back, claws and male reproductive organs. This gets a little tricky and usually takes two people. One to hold the cray and expose the male parts with a tooth pic, and one to take the picture.

I belong to a crayfish forum called bluecrayfish.com. One of the members is a true crayfish expert and armed with such pictures, can ID just about anything.

jackalope
03-15-2009, 08:25 PM
ID of crays are a tricky business and best left to experts. To properly ID good close up pics are needed of the back, claws and male reproductive organs. This gets a little tricky and usually takes two people. One to hold the cray and expose the male parts with a tooth pic, and one to take the picture.

I belong to a crayfish forum called bluecrayfish.com. One of the members is a true crayfish expert and armed with such pictures, can ID just about anything.
These are going to just be to learn a little bit bout crays with until I can get a Marmorkreb. I figured if they were cheap, it wouldn't hurt to give them a try ..... I'll probably grind them up for fish food when I get a Marmorkreb and it has babies ;)

I wouldn't know how to expose the male organ of a crayfish, so I guess I'll pass on that ;)