PDA

View Full Version : new and trying to get the feel of things

Mz. Marine Ecologist
11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Hello Im relatively new to this whole aquaponics things. I went to disney a few years ago and saw a set up and was fascinated by it. I just graduated and decided that I would like to further my degree in the field of fisheries>> aquaculture>> aquaponics. I am tryin to convince the school im looking at to start up a system so I can look into saltwater aquaponics. But first I wanted to try and learn as much about it as I could.

Im really broke right now, but am considering setting up a super nano system to help filter my 10 gal fish tank ( my little puffer fish is VERY messy and the filters are really pricey), and possibly grow some herbs to use in the kitchen. What do you think?

Looking forward to learning,

JCO
11-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. Also please narrow your location down to a more specific area. Southeaster US covers a lot of territory.:mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
11-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Welcome!

davidstcldfl
11-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Hi ... :D

Big Al
11-04-2010, 04:18 AM
hello Mz. Marine Ecologist, good luck with your system build. welcome Big Al

keith_r
11-04-2010, 07:24 AM
a nano system would be doable.. you'd use a very small pump, maybe an airlift? you'll want a volume of grow media of about 10 gallons as well, maybe a rubbermaid tub that you could put above the ft. a small bag of hydroton shouldn't be that expensive (and it's lighter than gravel)

good luck and let us know how you are doing

gosmith
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Hi Mz ME,

Doing a salt water AP system would be cool. You've given me visions of creating a sort of littoral ecosystem with a rocky interdidal zone in flood and drain grow beds, and a submerged marine and benthic habitat in the fish tanks. Imagine living in the midwest and being able to have fresh marine seafood like crab, shrimp, oysters, maybe some rock cod and other fish. You could raise kelp and other benthic algae to use or sell as fertilizer.

You might have just invented a whole new form of aquaponics: marinaponics? Welcome aboard.

Gary

rfeiller
11-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Welcome!

I take it you have a freshwater puffer, not salt water. They aren't the friendlyist of fish, it would depend on the bioload he could muster. Basil is easy, go to the grocery store pick some up and stick it in the water. Good luck!