PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

lfolnsbe
10-27-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm brand new to this and not even started. I would like to know what fish are good for the Atlanta area: tilapia, perch, shrimp, catfish, koi, etc. What can be grown together? What plants are good for this area? I have a 1/2 acre to dedicate to this eventually. I want to start small, I have access to a 2000 gal pool that I could set up (Walmart type, plastic sides with PVC framing.) I also have access to a quonset type greenhouse to set up over the fish and plants (is this a good idea?) Is there a group that meets in Atlanta? Is there a lot of odor to this that would upset neighbors? I know this is a lot of questions, but I have plenty more. :roll:

davidstcldfl
10-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi lfolnsbe, welcome to the forum.... :D

It gets a little cool in Atlanta, so yes, the greenhouse would be nice.

Tilapia like warm water....you might be better to think about cats or maybe perch (not sure if your water would get too warm in the summer for perch ?)
Some folks raise prawns or crawdads in addition to the fish. The crawdads are escape artists.

You'll want to research the regulations for your state/area on what you can and can't raise.

Should be 'very little' smell, 'if' you have the correct ratio of fish and growbeds...which are your filters.

urbanfarmer
10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
You should check into crayfish. There are some that grow to be as big as some lobster, and there is supposedly no discernible taste difference to the average person.

This guy has them cheap. I emailed him, but I have not ventured beyond that. He has breeders for something like $5 each!

Michael Robinson-STICK-FINS FISH FARM 3800 CR-13 South, Elkton, FL. 32033
PH: 904-692-1252; FX: 904-692-4744; Sfins1248@aol.com
Please e-mail for new prices!

urbanfarmer
10-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Here are some threads in this forum: viewforum.php?f=50 (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=50)

I am personally going to try it; so, if you go for it we should "share notes" and try to get it working efficiently.

JCO
10-29-2010, 04:49 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers.:mrgreen:

Big Al
10-29-2010, 05:17 AM
hi ifolnsbe, welcome, i raise yellow perch and bluegill. this summer i had water temp's
upto 94 deg. in my tank's that are inside a greenhouse. i didn't lose any fish during this
period of 9- 10 day's the perch were 1"-2" long fingerling's with water temp's 88-94 deg's
they are 4"-5" long now. they ate well and had lot's of air. hope this help's Big Al

stucco
10-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Welcome! I started some bluegill for the first time this year and I am pleasantly surprised at the growth rate. Not as fast as tilapia, but not as slow as they were made out to be. I have had koi, tilapia, catfish and pacu together and they never seemed to mind being cellmates.

urbanfarmer
10-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Welcome! I started some bluegill for the first time this year and I am pleasantly surprised at the growth rate. Not as fast as tilapia, but not as slow as they were made out to be. I have had koi, tilapia, catfish and pacu together and they never seemed to mind being cellmates.
I can cast net HUNDREDS of bluegills 1-3 inches right off a local dock... so, do they GROW to a good plate size? I always thought they they didn't grow so big...

keith_r
11-01-2010, 06:59 AM
bluegill are fairly easy to feed train on pellets, and will grow out to a pound in a little over a year with good conditions..
i've recently read a little about hybrid bg, some say they grow bigger, but new info is showing that it all depends..
just be careful where you get your stock from, if from an overpopulated source, they can or will be stunted

urbanfarmer
11-01-2010, 08:23 PM
bluegill are fairly easy to feed train on pellets, and will grow out to a pound in a little over a year with good conditions..
i've recently read a little about hybrid bg, some say they grow bigger, but new info is showing that it all depends..
just be careful where you get your stock from, if from an overpopulated source, they can or will be stunted
Hm, good advice. It seems overpopulated because those suckers are all over the place. Perhaps my cast netting them out will help the local fish grow bigger! :twisted: mwahahahaha Free fry and better fishin' that's like 2 birds with 1 net!

irishluc230
11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
This is my first post. Very glad to see how friendly and helpful everyone is! Im new to this as well and I cant wait to learn from everyone.

urbanfarmer
05-01-2011, 11:30 AM
This is my first post. Very glad to see how friendly and helpful everyone is! Im new to this as well and I cant wait to learn from everyone.
Hello and welcome! :lol: