PDA

View Full Version : Who's got a good way to wash gravel?

wolfracer
03-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I am looking for good way to wash gravel. No sense reinventing the wheel if someone has already figured this out.

badflash
03-12-2009, 03:36 PM
I made a sifter out of wood with wire cloth on the bottom. I put this over a 5 gallon bucket and run a hose over it. Lots of work, but it works.

JeffW
03-12-2009, 07:52 PM
I saw a guy make a small vibrating screen thingy..it was a simple desgin. It was
a beater jig rigged up to do what my compost screening device does only it was
on a smaller scale. As those pebbles bounce all over you run water over them
using that water over and over by catching it below.

Don't do what I did I tried to wash it in the bath tub and wife caught me :lol:

wolfracer
03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Don't do what I did I tried to wash it in the bath tub and wife caught me :lol:

LOL I don't think I would survive that!

JeffW
03-12-2009, 08:01 PM
This is why I have a shop in pole barn she will not put up with this behavior inside
the house.. :mrgreen: Cats and Dogs get away with a heck of allot more than I do :roll:

Laurie
03-15-2009, 02:59 PM
The best way is to use a Cement Mixer. Put your gravel in & run a hose in the barrel until the water is clean.
Laurie.

http://www.geelonghydroponicgardening.com

badflash
03-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Great idea, if you have one. I was thinking of making something like one from a plastic barrel and hardware cloth.

wolfracer
03-15-2009, 04:46 PM
The best way is to use a Cement Mixer. Put your gravel in & run a hose in the barrel until the water is clean.
Laurie.

http://www.geelonghydroponicgardening.com

Awesome! Never thought of that, and it just so happens I do have one. This will make it a whole lot easier.

Thanks Laurie!

JeffW
03-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi Laurie...that is a great idea!

I want a cement truck but I don't think that is going to happen :lol:

mrpigz
04-14-2009, 08:51 AM
I use a five gallon bucket with 3/8 holes drilled into it. You can get the buckets from local resturaunts for free. Then add in about 3 gallons of gravel at a time and move it around, rinse, repeat. My big issue is sterilizing the gravel after an unknown issue that killed nearly everything. I am at the point where I isolate plants and fish for three or four days.

Gravel is pretty cheap in bulk. Finding the room for 40 or 50lb bags it is a pain.

MP

JCO
04-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Welcome Mr Pigz,

Glad to hear another voice come to life on our forum....and I guess coming to life is the great question here since you claim to be 100 years old...that definately makes you the oldest member on this forum :lol:

Anyway....welcome and please don't be a stranger. :mrgreen:

JeffW
04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
100 :shock: you might know my mother :lol: