PDA

View Full Version : closed

urbanfarmer
10-15-2010, 05:54 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/16hq4wx.jpg
The road is just above the irrigation ditch on the top of the picture (it looks like a black line). The land has to be cleared and leveled, but how would you guys layout some equipment, tanks, crop fields, etc? Ideally, I would like to get a full-scale commercial operation going. Tilapia and Red Claw Crayfish will be my main aquatic livestock. I'm not sure as far as what to grow, but lettuce and basil seem okay for this small of a farm as far as marketability and profitability. NFT seems easier to set up, but a DWC grow bed with Styrofoam floats might be the best. Ideas? :mrgreen:

P.S. I'm months out from securing the capital for any of this; so, we have plenty of time to discuss! :lol:

RS_
10-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi,

That is a very nice size area to use for a commercial system, it's hard to tell the grade of the land from the pic.......
Depending on what all you are wanting to do, I would landscape it so that you have terrace's at different levels, so that the water will flow down hill from the fish tanks, through your grow beds or what ever you are using, to a lowest point sump tank, and then pump the water back up to the fish tank. Doing the same thing as almost everyone here, just on a very much larger scale.

I would also set up several different FT's, GB's, ST's, strings, vs one large one, so that you can do different things in them and if one crashes for some reason, it's not the entire system going down........

RS

urbanfarmer
10-27-2010, 08:03 AM
I am no longer "in the works" of purchasing this land. I ended up getting a 3 acre piece of land with a house on it FOR LESS than this land was being sold for, it's closer, has utilities, and is worth drastically more. Thank goodness people don't pay their taxes! :lol: