PDA

View Full Version : where can I buy fingerlings???

mommyhen42
03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
I have contacted several hatcheries here in So California that are listed on the DFG website but only one returned any of my emails... he wanted a ridiculous amount of money for his fish so I am still looking for a supplier.
I found a guy in Florida who would sell me 200 at $40 but shipping brought the total up to nearly $300 which is more than my limited income will allow... sigh

But I figured that since he could charge $40 for 200 why does the breeder here want $400 for the same number of his fingerlings plus shipping bringing the total for the same number of fish to be around $650!!! ??? HUH???

Anyone have any sources here in So cali???

badflash
03-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Got any lakes local? They spawn this time of year and you can net them easily. Baby cats school in huge balls and you can get a bunch at one scoop. Fun too.

jackalope
01-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I'd like to know if anyone has an idea of where a person might get just a few catfish fry or fingerlings. I figure that they will probably get along with the Tilapia, and will help keep the bottom clean ....... since I don't eat these things, I would be able to keep them for the life of a catfish (2 or 3 years?) .... just a thought.

davidstcldfl
01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
.....since I don't eat these things, I would be able to keep them for the life of a catfish (2 or 3 years?) .... just a thought.

Hi Jackalope, I'm thinking about raising channel catfish in my outside system, that I'm (still) working on. I too was wondering how long they might live. (?)
According to this link, the expected life time is 16 years, in captivity..... but they can live longer, up to 40 years. :o That would be one big 'bottom cleaner'.... :D
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/s ... tatus.html (http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Ictalurus_punctatus.html)

JCO
01-17-2010, 02:15 PM
In answer to you allowing channel cat in the system with your tilapia:-

Adult channel catfish, over 45 cm, consume fishes such as yellow perch and sunfish. The diet of adults consists of snails, algae, snakes, frogs, insects, aquatic plants, and even birds occasionally.

They sound a little nasty toward other creatures at adulthood. :mrgreen:

jackalope
01-17-2010, 09:32 PM
In answer to you allowing channel cat in the system with your tilapia:-

Adult channel catfish, over 45 cm, consume fishes such as yellow perch and sunfish. The diet of adults consists of snails, algae, snakes, frogs, insects, aquatic plants, and even birds occasionally.

They sound a little nasty toward other creatures at adulthood. :mrgreen:

I guess I wouldn't be keeping them too long after all ..... by-the-bye, how long is 45cm? ........ I may have to expand my horizons ..... I need to look into another type of bottom feeder to keep the bottom of the tank clean ;) ;) I thought about corydoras, but I'm afraid the tilapia would eat them ...... or maybe Pleco's, but they seem to keep glued to the sides of the tank, I need something that will keep the bottom clean! Is there a smaller cat that the Tilapia wouldn't be excited about eating? They've already eaten all the snails .... somehow, they just suck the meat right out of the shell, so I keep siphoning empty shells, which just plugs the siphon hose :( :(

badflash
01-18-2010, 04:18 AM
Nothing will keep the bottom clean. You have to have flow sweep accross the bottom and move the solids to the exit. There are pond vacuum attachments made by Python that will separate out the snail shells and stop the clogging.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12830 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5312+12830&pcatid=12830)

davidstcldfl
01-18-2010, 05:28 AM
I guess I wouldn't be keeping them too long after all ..... by-the-bye, how long is 45cm?

45 cm = 17.7 in That's a good size 'kitty'..... :D

"Here,kitty kitty kitty.... :lol:....I have some hushpuppies for you."

rfeiller
07-29-2010, 07:19 PM
bottom feeders scavange the bottoms for food or in the case of plecos algae, crustaceans and wood, not fish poop.
had six show tanks with native fish when i lived in TX. an 18" cat attacked and killed a 5lb bass one night, they are nocturnal.

Tennesseebanjer
02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Hey guys I just joined this site to learn a little more about aquaponics and Tilapia.I know this threads old but I ran across it and figured I might jump right in and try to offer my piece.I have very extensive knowledge of Hydro/Aeroponics but even more about Catfish.I grew up on a farm in Tennessee and caught and ate catfish around two to three times a week so by the time we were in highschool several of my hunting buddies and myself had our own little cow pond where we bred and ate what we all still believe to be the best fish any of us have ever eaten(2 marines,a doctor who lives in Japan,a professional angler,a fly fishing guide who lives in Idaho and,myself a luthier and banjo player that lives on that same farm in Tennessee).I would like to offer any and all knowledge I may have on them to anyone still seeking info. just message me and Ill try to help since I came to this site for everyone heres help yall can use me for any knowledge I can offer.To answer the couple questions I noticed here.Catfish do not really have a life expectancy since humans are their only real predator.Catfish have no real "adult size" they essentially will grow until something kills them.I have eaten a catfish I know for a fact was over twenty years old and have heard of them coming from our part of the Mississippi as much as 80 years old.This may sound absurd to people who arent used to catfish but we typically call a "game" sized cat anything that takes two people to carry.A local here caught the record a few years back(this is inside city limits in the middle of downtown Memphis) in the river at just over 180 lbs it was the largest catfish I have ever seen in real life.Finally,catfish generally will not eat another fish for food unless its already wounded or hes real hungry.However,Channel cats are very aggressive and will eat another fish if it "steps on his toes".Blue cat I have found to be the most gentle and have never heard of them being territorial or aggressive to others in their habitat.That being said,I have a buddy who runs a hatchery and says everytime he introduces an adult cat to any tank it usually eats a fish or two just to get the word out that hes not to messed with...I know this is an old thread but it popped up in my search and when i came here I saw unanswered questions so I answered thinking the guy behind me may well get the answers he was looking for when he was directed here...To answer the initial just order them from any of the farms around here (Google or Craigslist) and theyre usually a buck or two a piece plus sixty five for shipping

keith_r
02-02-2013, 09:08 AM
welcome Tennesseebanjer..
great to have someone with all that "cat" experience.. i haven't tried catfish, since i'm only raising for my consumption, and my wife is allergic to them
one thing that jumped out in your post is that your a luthier (and banjo player!) and i have to ask..
do you repair banjolins? i've got a "Leo Master" (couldn't find much info) 8 string banjo mandolin with a resonator head.. the ring is slightly deformed and i don't know if it can be fixed.. been looking for someone to repair it for a while.. i've got a pic here somewhere
[attachment=0:3a925d48]strings.JPG[/attachment:3a925d48]

sorry for the hijack..

davidstcldfl
02-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Hi Tennesseebanjer, Hi and thanks for the info.
When I saw 'luthier'...I 1st thought, maybe you played a bango at a 'Lutheran' church.... :? ...close, but no cigar.. :lol: I had to look it up.

Cool looking instruments Keith... :)

misterguppy
09-18-2013, 08:54 AM
We buy ours locally at our farm stores (Orscheln's) a couple times a year. Twice a year they have fish days and bring a truck in from the hatchery. My 3-4" channel cats were fourty nine cents each with no shipping. Being an old Californian now living in the midwest, you might look for farm stores on the outside edges of the LA basin, the high desert, or San Bernadino.

tmcmaster
11-03-2017, 11:06 AM
I'd love to know some sources for fry in my area (Central Pennsylvania)... We used to have a great source for Hybrid Striped bass, but they are closed now... :mad: