PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne, Florida hello

dglmann
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I just got signed up and posting. I have been spending a lot of time trying to figure out the most economical way to get the largest fish tank and grow beds for aquaponics. The design of my first system seems to revolve directly around how I can purchase/build/find/reuse water holding vessels that can grow vegetables and fish. Any advice on a low cost water tote would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

stucco
10-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey, howdy and welcome! :mrgreen:

dglmann
10-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for referring me to the forum. Unfortunately, this website is blocked on the computers at my work, so I can only check it on my phone or away from work.

dglmann
10-12-2010, 01:40 PM
PS. The content filter has categorized this website as "drugs". There are a few other aquaponic websites that also get this same treatment, but not most of them.

urbanfarmer
10-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I just wanted to say HELLO!

I have found this forum to be a cornucopia of knowledge. The members here are friendly and wise! Your stay will be a pleasant one, WELCOME.

There are a lot of us from Central Florida; so, you'll find we have a lot of info on local vendors and suppliers for a lot of things.

As far as a "cheap tote", the cheapest idea I have had for tanks or grow beds is using 2x12 lengths of wood and lining the inside with 6mil painters plastic (also called moisture barrier) from Lowe's or HD. I stick it to the wood using silicon, and the weight of the water holds the rest. 2x12's on the ground don't need a bottom, but I would suggest some kind of barrier from weeds like a tarp (which is cheap too). You won't want to expose the plastic directory to the sun because the UV rays will break down that cheap plastic pretty quick. The black plastic seems to last longer compared to the clear stuff. You could do the same thing using pond liner (either 20mil PVC or 45mil EPDM or cheaper is 20mil pool PVC liner).

JCO
10-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
10-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi dglmann ...welcome.... :D

The content filter has categorized this website as "drugs".
DRUGS...??? Well, AP is addictive. Also, one can 'smoke' the fish and eat too much... :lol:

urbanfarmer
10-12-2010, 08:58 PM
The content filter has categorized this website as "drugs".
DRUGS...??? Well, AP is addictive. Also, one can 'smoke' the fish and eat too much... :lol:

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER DAVE :lol:

P.S. Don't forget the QUALITY HERB you can GROW, hahaha, I couldn't resist...