PDA

View Full Version : [FLORIDA] Where to buy inexpensive bulk fish food?

urbanfarmer
10-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I am planning a trip this week to scope out my local feed stores for fish food. I am wondering, what have you guys purchased, at what bulk quantity, and at what price? If possible list supplier name and contact info! :-)

I am trying to prepare for the inevitable, and I want my ducks in a row before it's time to buy all the feed! Otherwise, I might get caught with my CHOWSERS down... LOL :lol: don't hate, it was funny in my head...

davidstcldfl
10-10-2010, 02:45 AM
There are some other posts here about fish food.....whats 'in them', ect.

The feed store I deal with happens to be about a 1/4 mile from me. They are a purina dealer, so I just call in advance and special order what blend of purina tilapia feed I want. They just add it to their regular order, and I pick it up when it comes in.

This is a list of the sizes and protien/fat levels...
http://aquamax.purinamills.com/aquamaxproductlist.pdf

There is better feed and worse feed out there......and the $ does vary.
Shipping is what hurts, if you have to pay it.
At least they dropped the tax on farm feeds.

stucco
10-10-2010, 06:22 AM
I’m still using organic cat food since we cannot find non gmo fish food. :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
10-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I’m still using organic cat food since we cannot find non gmo fish food. :mrgreen:Are you serious? LOL, what kind of growth rate do you see, and is that SAFE? What brand is this food, and where do you buy it?

The feed store I deal with happens to be about a 1/4 mile from me. They are a purina dealer, so I just call in advance and special order what blend of purina tilapia feed I want. They just add it to their regular order, and I pick it up when it comes in.You live close to me! So, where is this place and how much do you pay?? I have been looking at the Purina feed also, and I would like to get some soon.

davidstcldfl
10-10-2010, 11:30 AM
It's in Saint Cloud. The 4000 is aprox $30 a bag.

If you go to purina's web site, they have a search engine. You might find one closer to you... :)

urbanfarmer
10-10-2010, 11:49 AM
HOLY TILAPIA, is that for a 50# bag??!?? That's a heck of a lot cheaper than I imagined. Thanks, I will look it up now. :mrgreen:

badflash
10-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Check with the co-op. Florida has an aquaculture co-op that can save big money on feed.

urbanfarmer
10-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Check with the co-op. Florida has an aquaculture co-op that can save big money on feed.
I have been searching around, and I am having trouble locating a website or contact info for this organization. Do you remember their name or even what city they were in? Thanks in advance!

davidstcldfl
10-11-2010, 03:24 AM
Try calling your local extension office.....they may know.

urbanfarmer
10-11-2010, 01:00 PM
My local feed store has: http://www.wildlife.purinamills.com/pro ... 17380.aspx (http://www.wildlife.purinamills.com/products/ECMD2-0017380.aspx)
$20 for Purina Mills Game & Fish Chow 50-lb Bag

What do you guys think as far as that for Tilapia? I will have to see if they can order the Aquamax product.

stucco
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Some fish food a formulated for less waste which IMHO is not what you want for aquaponics. I’m not sure that is the case with the game fish chow, but the price is defiantly right. 8-)

badflash
10-11-2010, 05:20 PM
The big issue I've had with cheap fish food is water clarity. The water gets muddy pretty quick. Removal of particulates is pretty important.

davidstcldfl
10-12-2010, 05:29 AM
Well, it is 32 % prtien and 3% fat.....thats pretty close to what Badflash mentioned in your 'cat/dog food ' post.

It did say, it has 3 different size pellets mixed in....if you had different size fish in the same tank/pond, that would be handy.

urbanfarmer
10-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Well, it is 32 % prtien and 3% fat.....thats pretty close to what Badflash mentioned in your 'cat/dog food ' post.

It did say, it has 3 different size pellets mixed in....if you had different size fish in the same tank/pond, that would be handy.
It might also be good in the tanks with the larger fish. I read that one main reason for differences in fish sizes in Tilapia had to do with the aggressive fish taking most of the food. Perhaps, the smaller pellets would be ignored by the aggressive fish allowing the tree-hugging-gandhi-hippy fish to get some solid feed. :lol: