PDA

View Full Version : Keith's basement winter system

keith_r
10-05-2010, 10:23 AM
this past weekend i moved 1 pair of growbeds (and all the media) into the basement - 2 half barrels setup ala Travis Hughey..
This coming weekend i'll be getting a pump, and fittings to plumb it up, but here's my dilemma
I've got the 110gallon tank outside with all the fish (i'm sure that at least one of the bluegill is carrying eggs) with 14 or so bluegill,, maybe 10 to 15 yellow perch (i started with 29 - long story) and probably a couple crayfish
for the basement i have 3 55gal aquariums - here's what i'm thinking - put the yp in one tank, the bg in the other, get rid of the cray's (if any are left) and order a few red claw cray's for the 3rd tank..
i've read up a little on "no holes overflow" and will be digging deeper this weekend, but how would you plumb the 3 tanks together? i'm thinking that i'd have the pump in the middle tank - tanks on the ground, growbeds draining into 2 of the tanks, with a no-hole overflow setup between the middle and each side tank. i found some discouraging info on the overflows being a maintenance hassle, but i remember coming across some other info saying the opposite.. what kind of experience have you had with them? (the no hole overflows that is)

as far as the red claw.. i do have room for an 8' snapset kiddie pool, found on amazon for 12 bucks the other day.. if i do decide to try i'll probably add a swirl filter
to much to do an not enough time to do it! i'll try to get some pic's this weekend, but i know the little camera doesn't have a flash, so we'll see

badflash
10-05-2010, 04:26 PM
For just redclaws you wouldn't need a swirl filter. Much easier to just python the bottom.

dufflight
10-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Snakeponics. :lol:

JCO
10-06-2010, 04:49 AM
Yep, you just drop it in the tank and it squeezes the sh*t out of it. :shock: :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

stucco
10-06-2010, 01:52 PM
:lol:

keith_r
10-11-2010, 06:32 PM
had a few escapees the first night, and have since put netting over the tanks (i finished late sunday night and left the nets for today)
so, a day late and a dollar short, lost 5 fish, (4 bg, and 1yp)
the smallest bluegill was the most colorful, couple of pic's;
the littlest;
[attachment=1:25udjo7u]indoor_10_11_10_006.jpg[/attachment:25udjo7u]
all the escapees;
[attachment=0:25udjo7u]indoor_10_11_10_017.jpg[/attachment:25udjo7u]

another pic to follow

stucco
10-11-2010, 06:34 PM
On the bright side… your kale looks healthy.

keith_r
10-11-2010, 06:43 PM
here's the overflows, bg in right ft, yp in left, minnows in all 3 tanks,
i might get a few redclaw for the middle tank, but right now that's where the pump is..

hmm,, having trouble with a couple of pic's

all the plants were transplanted from outside, right now running a growlight 12on 12off.. gonna switch over to 6 or 7 after i feel comfortable with how things are going..,,

let me try a pic again;
[attachment=0:pqa0uq0k]indoor_10_11_10_009.jpg[/attachment:pqa0uq0k]

Big Al
10-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Hi keith, nice to see your back up and running again sorry about your fish lose's though. good luck Big Al

urbanfarmer
10-13-2010, 08:41 PM
as far as the red claw.. i do have room for an 8' snapset kiddie pool, found on amazon for 12 bucks the other day.. if i do decide to try i'll probably add a swirl filter
Was it "Intex 8' X 18" Sun Fish Snapset Pool"

I have been periodically checking the price to see when the best time to get it, but $12?!?? Man, I would have bought dozens of them! :lol:

keith_r
10-14-2010, 06:02 AM
yeah, the intex snapset 8'dia by 18" deep

keith_r
02-10-2011, 06:34 AM
the boss won a camera online, i'm still getting used to it, and will have to remove the foil wrapping the gb's to get some better pic's but here are a few;
here's the gb that got left outside..
[attachment=2:1osvo3k7]2-8-11-001.JPG[/attachment:1osvo3k7]

the snow is wearing me out! feels like it's been there since thanksgiving but i know we had a few days that it wasn't covered.
i planted some seeds on the 29th of jan, radishes took off, they were germinating within 24 hours of putting them in
[attachment=1:1osvo3k7]2-8-11-004.JPG[/attachment:1osvo3k7]

one bean started after i took everything in, so i planted some more but none of the rest germinated;
[attachment=0:1osvo3k7]2-8-11-007.JPG[/attachment:1osvo3k7]

keith_r
02-10-2011, 06:39 AM
a few more pic's

flood tank barely fits in the basement, my head is full of bumps and bruises after every "workout" down there;
[attachment=2:3qkc00et]2-8-11-011.JPG[/attachment:3qkc00et]

no hole solid lift overflows between the 3 tanks, pump in the middle tank, beds drain into outside tanks;
[attachment=1:3qkc00et]2-8-11-021.JPG[/attachment:3qkc00et]

carrots sprouting a little more than a week after i put them in;
[attachment=0:3qkc00et]2-8-11-014.JPG[/attachment:3qkc00et]

it's 3f (-16c) out right now, kinda nice to see stuff growing in the basement when the winters feels so long

urbanfarmer
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Excellent work sir!

Big Al
02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
hi keith, looking good, nice to see you made it through the winter. and the gas
explosion also. what's your plan for this summer. good luck Big Al

rfeiller
02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
careful with those sypons, i've had them loose syphon. much better to drill the tanks.

keith_r
03-02-2011, 07:04 AM
added 24 yp yesterday, i ordered them last week, shipped monday, delivered tuesday, i was suprised how little water was used. i was running a propane heater in the basement from the day before, my salt dip water was at 68, and the tanks were at 69/70, i slowly got the bag of fish water up to the salt bath temp, and then dipped a few at a time till done, no pics doing that becuase it was just me and i was kind nervous

one fish was dead and stiff, looks like he probably got stuck when packed, and one dead by last night, a couple looked kinda skinny but they're small; 2" to 3", this am a few of the new guys hit the feed, there are 6 sunfish in the tank with the new yp. the bigger yp in the other tank are 6-8" and doing well, when they feed, it's more like they graze at the surface

i did take a few pics after i was done, but got sick all of a sudden after i was done moving stuff around, so took a break for the night,, i should be able to post some pics this week.. but the green onions, carrots, radishes are doing well, and lettuce i put in last week is coming up

urbanfarmer
03-02-2011, 07:41 AM
no hole solid lift overflows between the 3 tanks
How did you get the air out to begin with? Do you have any problems with it opreating?

keith_r
03-02-2011, 11:15 AM
How did you get the air out to begin with? Do you have any problems with it opreating?

the standpipe that sucks from the bottom is removable, so to fill i sink the main overflow, it's just a big U shape with elbows turning the legs 180d, lift carefully keeping the bottom under and the now upside down U level, lift and put one leg into the adjacent tank..after the water levels even out (less flow) i attach the standpipe.

i've had to reset them, probably 3 times since i put it together, but i haven't noticed a decrease in flow in at least a month since the last reset

just to clarify, i ordered 25 perch, delivered was under $55, one DOA and one died overnight in his new home.. i rushed through the count but it looked like 25 total to me..

keith_r
03-03-2011, 05:53 PM
i hope that if i add pic's while the forum is like this they stick around,,
anyways, here's some pic's from sunday the 27th;
the new (23)yp in with the (6) unknown sunfish;
[attachment=2:31f6niwe]IMG00160.JPG[/attachment:31f6niwe]

the bigger (8 i think) yp and (another guess of 8) sunfish;
[attachment=1:31f6niwe]IMG00163.JPG[/attachment:31f6niwe]

green onions doing well;
[attachment=0:31f6niwe]IMG00167.JPG[/attachment:31f6niwe]

keith_r
03-03-2011, 05:58 PM
some more pics

the carrots planted at the same time as the onions;
[attachment=2:fczg40o0]IMG00166.JPG[/attachment:fczg40o0]

a couple of rosy red's i found doing a dance;
[attachment=1:fczg40o0]IMG00177.JPG[/attachment:fczg40o0]

another of the rosy red dance;
[attachment=0:fczg40o0]IMG00179.JPG[/attachment:fczg40o0]

keith_r
03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
the last of the pic's i resized

another shot of the new fish, there are 6 sunfish in with them;
[attachment=2:2nm5cku3]IMG00157.JPG[/attachment:2nm5cku3]

the bigger fish in their tank (yp and sunfish)
[attachment=1:2nm5cku3]IMG00163.JPG[/attachment:2nm5cku3]

another of the bigger guys;
[attachment=0:2nm5cku3]IMG00181.JPG[/attachment:2nm5cku3]

fritz_monroe
03-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I notice what looks like soil on top of the grow bed. Is this added to the grow bed or is it just solids from the fish?

Also, carrots, do these grow into decent carrots when growing in GB media?

keith_r
03-24-2011, 01:06 PM
its coco coir,,, those little pellets that expand when you put them in water.. i used it when i planted this time because i though that many of my seeds were probably washed away, it seemed to help the plants get a good start
i'll try to get some more pics tonight, i added some ladybugs last night because of an aphid problem that wasn't going away with garlic/pepper spray

rfeiller
03-24-2011, 03:25 PM
the lady bugs are migratory they will go back to where they were born. They do a great job. I have gone through several hundred of them in the last 3 months. They are either squeezing out of cracks in the greenhouse, or getting eaten by the fish.

keith_r
03-25-2011, 05:43 AM
my step daughter hosted a b-day party, so no pic's, but i'll be working on the system this weekend and will get some then

i read about the ladybugs being migratory, and i'm sure they'll be trying to leave, but right now with the basment temps in the mid to high 60's, they seem pretty content hanging around the gb, chowin down on aphids.. saw quite a few doin the nasty last night when i was feeding the fish and checking everything over, looking forward to finding some ladybug eggs.. i wonder if the ones that are born in the basement would want to stay there..

i had a pineapple plant that i brought in for the winter, it was doing fine until the cats discovered they liked to chew the leaves.. so i put it on a table near the gb's, when i was moving stuff around the other day i elbowed the plant and snapped it off right at the stalk, anyways, i think that's where what i think the fungus gnats came from, at least i think they're fungus gnats, looks like i need some nematodes to manage them, but not sure how that would work with the fish,, feels like i spend a lot of time looking for info, but it's worth it

rfeiller
03-25-2011, 10:45 AM
The nematodes won't hurt the fish. The primary nematode to be concerned with fish is capilaria. So?

cedarswamp
03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
looking forward to finding some ladybug eggs.. i wonder if the ones that are born in the basement would want to stay there..

Careful what you wish for Keith, ladybugs are quite prolific, and good luck keeping them in the basement. We had an infestation last year, and ladybugs were everywhere in the house for about 3 weeks. :lol:

keith_r
03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
yeah, i know.. i get a little excited about the whole mini eco-system thing..
i'm planning on adding to the basement system, maybe nft. bit i'll be working with what i can find on the cheap
really debating keeping the fish in the basement over summer, i know i'll gain heat from the gb's, but i think it's worth checking.. maybe... it's gonna depend on what a pump with that much head would $, up-front and energywise

JCO
05-06-2011, 06:28 PM
So how did the ladybug venture turn out? :mrgreen:

keith_r
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
they are doing a pretty good job on the aphids.. the larvae are anyways.. just found another batch of eggs tonight so they're still kicking along..
checked out some railroad ties (they had a sign that said they were $1)... the dollar ones wouldn't work, so i'm still trying to figure out the cheapest tank for the basement for my next step up

keith_r
05-26-2011, 07:12 AM
whew.. what a storm we had yesterday, power went out at about 7:30pm,, uh oh! i just scored a free rack mounted UPS and had charged it, so plugged my air pump into it.. it lasted about 5 hours.. fish were fine without the extra air for 6 or 7 hours, but i'm really glad i had airpumps running.. i think i'm going to check out one of those battery powered air pumps for backup
found an 8' pool to start the upgrade on the basement system (about 600 gallons).. have a pump, and a lowes gift card to buy my plumbing supplies, just need 2 or 3 IBC's and 3 or 4 yards of gravel

rfeiller
05-26-2011, 08:12 AM
don't envy you the yrds of gravel washing. just did 2-1/2 yards of lava and it's a heck of a lot lighter. so sounds like you are off and running. boy the midwest and east are really getting pounded. glad you didn't loose anything.

we have a lot of brown outs and power drops here, i need to get a couple of 12volt solar panels and a couple of pumps. the power outages here are usually from air conditioner drain on the grid, so the sun is usually shinning.

keith_r
10-27-2011, 08:10 AM
i kept saying i had a line on IBC Totes, i kept finding them, but usually they were pretty far from my house, and things just weren't working out, but i was putting a few dollars aside here and there,, then the stars aligned enough for it to happen!
been a while but finally!
$52... truck rental
$47... gas for truck
$160... 4 IBC Totes - i got 2 275gal, and 2 330 gal

i've been slowly working on the basement stuff.. had to pull the tomato plants out (3 of them) because they went nuts and took over the growbeds, i was just starting to get lots of flowers, but was also starting to get clogged gb's..so i removed them, and have replanted, a couple of basil cuttings, thyme, oregeno, carrots, radishes, lettuce, swiss chard and beats
i tried cantaloupe but that started to take over as well,,, i tried a little hand polination but between everything else, i didn't have much time to spend on it, so cleared it out too

i'm up to Five 55gal glass tanks, and the 8' swimming pool, found a pair of crayfish mating in the pool and put them in a tank by themselves
it looks like the rosy red minnows are breeding in clay pots that i put in the pool, so i gotta get the 5th 55gal tank online pretty soon for them.. right now i just have a blue drum swirl filter running on the pool..

the expansion isn't going to be moving too fast, i scrounged $ for several months to be able to get the totes.. i still need gravel and some plumbing bits, but i already have a pump for the pool...

i have lots of time off coming up - i was saving it in case i had to take it for the shoulder surgery (coming along quite nicely btw) but disability covered that.. so till the end of the year, i'll have time to get started but will probably be held back a little bit $ wise.. still.. things are starting to move and i'm quite happy that progress will start once again..

i'm going to put some drawings together, (got a bunch of housework to do to get ready for winter, already talking snow on the weather channel) and asking for some assistance.. my biggest hurdle will be my height constraints, the area where the growbeds will be is a hair taller than 6' (1828mm).. and yeah, i gotta do something about the camera situation...

keith_r
10-29-2011, 05:27 PM
finally downloaded sketchup, and while my results are rudimentary, i'm still in the early stages here.. so.. here's the layout - the barrels in the lower right quadrant with the 55 gallon tanks are where the yp and bg are now.. the pool is where it's shown in a recessed corner, and the 55 gallon tank in the upper right is up and running... the 55 gallon tank on the far left is sitting in about that area but not running.. the IBC's are outside waiting to be cut down.. the area where the IBC's are has no ductwork, so from floor to ceiling it's 6'
it's a pretty tight area;
[attachment=0:1mtp1tzt]thebasement.JPG[/attachment:1mtp1tzt]
the pluming is going to be the hard part on this one.. that and a low ceiling!

foodchain
10-31-2011, 05:45 AM
I have problems setting these kinds of things us in confined spaces due to humidity. Maybe it's just me. I have to run two 20 inch fans in my garage to move the air through like a wind tunnel.
Do you have any fans or windows? I have had melons, and such spoil on one side due to not being able to get dry. Other than that, I like it. Is it to scale? That's a big area. Do you have a center drain, or someway to deal with the inevitable spill/leaks? I didn't when I set mine up, now the what if's are always on my mind.

keith_r
10-31-2011, 06:21 AM
it's drawn to scale.. approximately..and trust me, it doesn't feel like a very big space when i have to walk around stooped over so i don't bang my head on something
there's a floor drain under the sink on the right hand side of the drawing
I have a fan that i turn on when it rains to help dry the floor, and there are 3 "glass block" windows, 1 on the left wall and 2 on the right
with all the ductwork and piping most of the basement is less than 6' in height
the pool has been filled with water for quite a while, the only time it was humid was on extremely hot days (and it was always humid in the basement in that weather) - it's actually drier now in the basement, it dries much quicker after it rains..
and with our winters, some added humidity in the house will be welcome

foodchain
10-31-2011, 07:41 AM
IF you so decided, since your sq ft is limited. You can opt to run a narrow grow bed over your volume tanks on the left. I use white plastic rain gutters on mine. I just keep strawberries in there though. I am not sure you would have enough light though. If strawberries don't get enough of the right kind of light they taste all watery. But this would increase the amount of grow bed. I could be wrong, but looking at your diagram, there's not much growbed for the amount of grow out tanks and this could cause problems with waste build up. I am going through something like that now as I overloaded my volume tanks from the summer harvest and am now having DO issues. Eyes were bigger than my fish/gallons ratio could support...just because I understand it, doesn't mean I like it. Would a waste collector prior to the growbeds or a swirl filter of some size possibly fix this?

foodchain
10-31-2011, 07:43 AM
I have used the cheapo kittly litter pans from wal mart too. But they don't hold much.

keith_r
10-31-2011, 07:57 AM
i still have to cut my totes up, but i put them in the drawing to show about where they would be.. or how i could lay them out.. each one of the totes shown will be a media filled growbed.. i think i could make them deep enough to hold 150 gallons each gb and still have enough room for plumbing/sump, so i'd have about 600 gallons of filtration, which would be enough for about 150lbs of fish grown out

keith_r
11-20-2011, 02:47 PM
i set up a tank for a pair of crayfish i saw mating in the pool... after i figured out which one was the female, i pulled the male out, and found another female in the pool - walking around with it's tail tucked in, so i caught it and found that it was in berry.. so 2 crayfish in berry in this setup;
second cray was farther along than the one i orignally pulled out of the pool;
[attachment=2:2cn0wijk]IMG00188.JPG[/attachment:2cn0wijk]
here's the first one i found mating that i put in the tank first;
[attachment=1:2cn0wijk]IMG00189.JPG[/attachment:2cn0wijk]
here's the tank, on the left is a yard pond that i'm just using for duckweed.. with the flourescent light 4 or 5' away it still growing well;
[attachment=0:2cn0wijk]IMG00202.JPG[/attachment:2cn0wijk]

keith_r
11-20-2011, 02:49 PM
kinda hard to take pic's in the basement with flourescent lights on,, but the barrels are still running fine;
[attachment=2:1lwp6z42]IMG00193.JPG[/attachment:1lwp6z42]
the other side;
[attachment=1:1lwp6z42]IMG00198.JPG[/attachment:1lwp6z42]
perch and bluegill;
[attachment=0:1lwp6z42]IMG00194.JPG[/attachment:1lwp6z42]

keith_r
11-20-2011, 02:54 PM
the shoulder was feeling ok, so i cut up the ibc's and layed them out last weekend, this is looking at the north wall, west side has the window;
[attachment=2:26t4bln8]IMG00199.JPG[/attachment:26t4bln8]
here you can kinda see all three growbeds and the sump;
[attachment=1:26t4bln8]IMG00195.JPG[/attachment:26t4bln8]
here's the sump, the doorway to the room under the porch (my store-room) and on the left is the barrel filter i'm using for the pool until the growbeds are ready,, right now just rosy red minnows and crayfish in the pool, but the perch will end up there;
[attachment=0:26t4bln8]IMG00197.JPG[/attachment:26t4bln8]

keith_r
11-20-2011, 02:56 PM
and a couple of the pool, the first one is not a very good pic, but it gives an idea of what's goin on;
[attachment=1:2v04sh5b]IMG00192.JPG[/attachment:2v04sh5b]
a look into the pool;
[attachment=0:2v04sh5b]IMG00201.JPG[/attachment:2v04sh5b]

urbanfarmer
11-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Looking good buddy! :-D

commander
11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
This is awesome. I just wished I had a basement.

urbanfarmer
11-20-2011, 04:36 PM
This is awesome. I just wished I had a basement.
Got a shovel? :lol:

commander
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Im more of the backhoe kind of guy

urbanfarmer
11-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Wiser words were never spoken! :-D

keith_r
12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
my rosy reds are spawning in the swimming pool! i put in 4 6" clay pots for spawning in the pool.. i keep seeing the fish acting like they're going at it, but haven't found any eggs until today! i saw a pair using one of the pots, and left them alone for a while, checked the other 3 pots and nada, but i finally had to check the one they were using, and there were 3 little groups of eggs..
i put the pot back in the pool, and the pair is still at it... from what i've read, the male may get more than 1 female to lay eggs today, so tonight when i move the pot to the spawning tank, i'll try to get a couple pic's..

foodchain
12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
How did you mate the PVC to the pool? In the above picture of the pool, it looks like there's a 2" PVC attached to it.

keith_r
12-06-2011, 12:42 PM
i enlarged one of the existing openings (used for the filter i got with the pool) and used 1 1-1/2" electrical coupling.. i've used this when i've done water changes, to drain the pool (before i got the filter set up), this connection will go to my sump, that i'll pump up to the gb's, which will drain back to the ft.. i saw what i thought was a pile of 4" pvc sitting by this fence for the last year, so i finally took a walk to see if i could salvage any of it.. turns out it was pvc downspouts, lots of it was cracked and deformed, but i grabbed a couple pieces, enough for a few drain/siphon guards.
i was hoping there would be enough to use for my main drain line.. so my main layout of gb's is still kind of up in the air

keith_r
01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
had my first successful rosy red minnnow hatch! i set up another 55 gallon tank a while ago.. i put some 4" and 6" clay pots in the pool with the minnows and crayfish, the first time i took 2 4" pots out with eggs and put them in the tank without the male, they didn't make it.. the second time, i put 2 4" pots in that had eggs and males, and they didn't make it.. the third time i put 1 6" pot that had a bunch of eggs (the most i saw at any one time) and the male in, and after about 10 or 11 days, i saw fry this morning..
my daphnia tanks seem to be doing pretty well, so even though the fry are probably still feeding off their yolk sac, i put lots of live tiny stuff in the tank with them.. and got the male back into the pool

foodchain
01-23-2012, 04:00 AM
Congrats!!!
Once they are about 3 days old try introducing newly hatched baby brine shrimp. They are a little bit of work, but once the fry's mouth is big enough to eat them, they will exelerate the growth fast enough to get them on larger food types. I typically keep Cabomba, and such in the rearing tanks to help encourage infusoria and such on the smaller egg laying species. It's imperative that you get small food types to them on a regular basis.
Good Luck.

keith_r
01-23-2012, 06:29 AM
i've got a good start on my daphnia culture, so that should be ok when they start eating...i was thinking about setting up a brine shrimp hatchery dealio..but right now, the basement is too cold for them..
our weather is super crazy right now.. 2' of snow last weekend, thunderstorms and 50's today, with snow tonight.. i just need a couple day break to get my gravel, then i'll have a few more tanks to play with
there are several plants in the tank bottom, i'm not even sure what they are, and floating i have duckweed and water lettuce with long roots that i see the fry swimming around in.. they're still quite small, 1/8" to 3/16" or so.. and clear, but it's easy to spot their eyes.. i tried to take some pic's this weekend but didn't have any luck..

foodchain
01-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Use a incandescant light, in a desk lamp. Adjust height to control temp, hatch brine shrimp in 2 liter bottle with bubbler.
Easy fix....cheap.

foodchain
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
you probably already have infusoria then...and if this was outside, you would likely already have daphnia and such. Best of luck to you.

keith_r
04-19-2012, 06:21 PM
work has been a pita lately, so my gravel pile is sitting there waiting to get moved..
had my lone marmokreb escape from her 55gal tank, and one of the cats brought it upstairs for me to find yesterday morning.. it was dark, at first i thought it was either a cat toy or a cat mess.. but she was still alive.. didn't realize it was the marm and threw it in the pool with a couple dozen papershell crays.. when i realized what happened, i luckily found her right away and put her back in her tank.. work is killin me, just had to delay vacation to the second week of may instead of the first.. i'll get this sucker built though

foodchain
04-20-2012, 04:30 AM
I know the feeling, we just now stopped the mandatory OT we have had for the last 5 months. Burns you out quick.
This year is nearly half over, and the kids only have 1 more month of school. And all I have done is work.

keith_r
09-24-2012, 07:34 AM
yikes! lots of pics gone!

alex281
09-25-2012, 10:42 AM
yikes! lots of pics gone!

I lost my entire journal :shock:

keith_r
09-26-2012, 07:08 AM
so many pic's gone..
i harvested 6 yellow perch for a guy writing a book about fish, he wanted to dissect them so i offered to help out..
i just heard back from him.. if you'd like to see the dissection pics, you can check out the link he sent me

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/communit ... bumid=2458 (http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/album.php?albumid=2458)

beautiful specimens if i do say so myself! unfortunately for him, he didn't find any parasites to document (good for me though!)

keith_r
10-01-2012, 07:02 AM
5 marmokrebs in berry! 3 went into the pool, 2 others were moved to their own tanks..
a put a whole bunch of krebs into the pool, trying to make room for more.. it looks like these will work out pretty well as a additional feed supplement