PDA

View Full Version : growing fruit with aquaponics

Houliham
09-06-2010, 11:46 AM
my geography is mid-florida. It seems that the tomato and pepper plants look great but they produce flowers and then the flowers fall off. Do I need more fish?

stucco
09-06-2010, 02:37 PM
This time of year in Florida is ruff, but toms and peppers should do ok. Generally loss of flowers and no fruit is a sign of good nutrient level, but lack of natural plant hormone (cytokines) or in the case of non self-fertile plants lack of or incomplete pollination. Foliar sprays are a good tool to impart micronutrients and even hormones to help stimulate blossom set and alleviate plant stress. I’ve tried Blossom Set, homemade worm tea and VermaPle. All of which should help.

davidstcldfl
09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Houliham, Sorry to hear about the 'blossom drop'. Stucco made some good points... :)

Also...high daytime tempts, high nightime tempts and excessive humidity can be the problem.
http://gardening.about.com/od/problemsp ... omDrop.htm (http://gardening.about.com/od/problemspest1/a/BlossomDrop.htm)

Only very small tomatoes, cherry, plum, pear, ect ... grow in our heat/humidity. Some medium size are bred for our heat/humidity. Most of the seed company's have tomatoe seeds just for us.

IMO...Most of what plants Lowes/Home depot/ wal-mart carrys, really aren't the best for central/south FL. They sell what people 'ask for'/'want', not what grows best... :roll:

Good news, we are almost into our great growing season.....9 months long... :D

I use a book I really like...it's just for us Floridians...

"MONTH-BY-MONTH GARDENING IN FLORIDA"
by Tom MacCubbin

Houliham
09-06-2010, 03:29 PM
great help...i have a fan with a minnie greenhouse. could putting more fish in help?

Houliham
09-06-2010, 03:37 PM
sorry i didn't read careful enough to notice adding fish will not help. Thanks for all the great help thou

jackalope
09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
When I was having trouble etting my tomatoes to pollinate, I had two choices ..... put in a fan, or shake each limb several times a day ..... the fan didn't work for me, but shaking the limbs did! I think it's just up to the area, not which one works best!

urbanfarmer
05-01-2011, 11:32 AM
It also depends on the strain of tomato. I have some that need more attention while the ones right next to them are covered in fruit!