PDA

View Full Version : Hello all!

cvs04
09-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Another newbie on the forum!

I have some knowledge of Hydroponics from a set up I had in 1998 of which I thought would be out of date buy now but it seems there hasn't been too many big advancements in the technology; although equipment prices have come down a little.

9 months ago I took the leap and moved myself to Asia from Manchester, England (native home). Had enough of crooked bankers and politicians ruining the economy and my businesses so here I am. I have chosen to live in Thailand in an area not too far from the border of Laos. It's quite rural up here with a large number of rice farmers, I believe the country is the largest exporter of rice in the world. The North of Thailand is known as Isaan and was mainly forest so at some stage had very fertile land however after years of intensive farming using pesticides and chemical fertilisers the land has suffered. Unbelievably the forest people didn't really understand the importance of the trees not only to give shade in this climate but to give back some nutrients to the soil via the foliage. Organic farming hasn't really taken off here yet like it did in the West so I'm hoping to give it a go in the next few months on a small scale for now though.

dufflight
09-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Welcome.

I started out with a small test system to get the hang of things before building something a little bigger.

JCO
09-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. .:mrgreen:

jackalope
09-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Welcome cvs04,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! Questions are always welcome, don't be too skeeered to ask, we don't bite (well, maybe one or two of us, but not all of us :lol: :lol: ) We love questions, and we especially love photos ;) Please be sure to put where you live in your profile so we know what part of the country/hemisphere/planet you are in ..... someone who lives nearby may be able to help you out personally as well.

We have a great FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/faq.php) button for navigating the website controls, etc. at the top of the page, next to the "Members" button, please check it out if you haven't already done so.
We also have another FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=93) section which contains many of the hints and tips that have been collected along the way ..........

Before posting any URLs or emails, please take a look at the Forum Rules (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=103) .....
If you see something that you would like added to these FAQs, please let a moderator or admin know, and we'll discuss it and possibly add it to the list!

BTW, we have a special section for off-topic conversations called "The Sump" (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=102) to hopefully avoid crapping threads and keeping things on topic ;)

Once again, WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!: :!:

rfeiller
09-02-2010, 08:15 PM
welcome to the forum

davidstcldfl
09-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Hi cvs04..... :D

cvs04
09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys!

Oldandfound1
09-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Greetings,
Not everyone who decides to get into Aquaponics also determines to go into the hinterland of Thailand to get started. ;)
On another forum I recall reading about a family who are fish farming in Thailand for some years now. Maybe saw them on YouTube.
Best wishes,
Dennis
Oldandfound1

gosmith
09-25-2010, 05:02 PM
I've heard fish farming is very popular throughout that region. I recall seeing a documentary about how the Vietnamese turned many of the tens of thousands of American bomb craters around Hanoi into productive fish farms. A 1000 lb bomb is MUCH quicker than a backhoe too.

G

JCO
09-25-2010, 05:56 PM
They didn't use enough of them :x :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
10-09-2010, 10:21 PM
I just wanted to say HELLO!

I have found this forum to be a cornucopia of knowledge. The members here are friendly and wise! Your stay will be a pleasant one, WELCOME.