PDA

View Full Version : Cleanning plastic barrels

preasons
08-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I have read the post about cleaning barrels that were filled with soap. I have been given 8 plastic barrels that were filled with preemerg. I am concearned about using these as grow beds. Any help would be great.

Hotrodmike
08-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Welcome
To be honest if it were me I would just give the barrels away . Chemicals can and will leach into plastics . I would always wonder if I got it all out . There are way too many barrels out there that had something non-toxic in them to use these . I guess my point is that AP tends to lend it self to NO chemicals ,so why start with them from the get go ?
Have A Kind Day
Mike

preasons
08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Thank you Mike for your response. I probably already new that I was just hoping for a miracle answer.

badflash
08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Do you know what the herbicide chemical is? If its pendulum, forget it. Kills fish big time.

preasons
08-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I will find out tomorrow what exactly was in them

badflash
08-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Soap and wax after pressure spray (1500#) seems ) OK. for car wash soap and wax.

keith_r
08-28-2010, 06:10 AM
try a vinegar rinse after power washing, then bleach.. then a final rinse..

preasons
08-30-2010, 12:58 PM
OK I checked today on what chemical was in the barrels. It was Glyphosate which I have been told is the active ingredient in round up. Any hope or shound I just give up?

badflash
08-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Have you checked the MSDS for roundup? I don't think it is all that persistent. I would split the barrel, pressure wash it, and leave it in the sun for a few months. You could then test it with some goldies.

preasons
08-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Great idea I'll give it a try

badflash
08-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Found this:
http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Mons ... cs7071.htm (http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Monsanto-Roundup-MSDS-Docs7071.htm)

12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
ENVIRONMENTAL DATA: Do not apply directly to water. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment washwaters.

ECOTOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION: Available ecotoxicity data for similar formulations suggest that this product would be slightly to moderately toxic to fish and practically nontoxic to avian species and honeybees. The results of degradation and bioconcentration studies with the active ingredient in this product indicate that it is rapidly adsorbed to soil, readily biodegrades in soil and water, and does not bioaccumulate.