PDA

View Full Version : Phalaborwa Aquaponics

Biggles1212
08-18-2010, 01:47 AM
After a lot of researching and planning huge aquaponics greenhouses I did the sensible thing. I started small. Actually on the spur of the moment I brought home some Tilapia I caught at a fishing competition, popped them in a 210L barrel and set off the next day to see what I could find at the local hardware store. Nothing like good planning eh?

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/22052010.jpg

I awoke the next day and worked some more on the system to get it going. It worked well, but still no fish. I just wanted the system to work well mechanically first. Got my two boys to add some special ammonia to keep the plants happy.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/23052010.jpg

To expand, I dug a hole for a 210L drum as the fish tank and cycled the water to the Grow Beds on a frame. The levels in each of the Grow Beds is balanced with a balancing pipe, but only one Auto Siphon is used. Auto siphon does prove tricky to setup and regular cleaning of the pump filter is necessary. It seems Tilapia like to poo a lot. 7 Mozambique Tilapia are in the tank.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/25062010_004.jpg

I got brave and bought two 5000L tanks. I made two new grow beds on the left and moved the fish into the big tank after a week of cycling the water. Added KOI to the system and everything ran well. Got sick and tired of the Auto Siphon and used a Cistern Flush Valve (No maintenance required so far after 8 weeks) to control my flood and drain.

Added +/- 300 Red Breasted and Nembwe Tilapia mixed bunch of fish. Build extra Grow Beds using Black Rough Tote Tubs (on right of picture) and improved the flush mechanism. I've lost about 50 fish from the transport, but they're fine now.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/18082010.jpg

Unfortunately I added Malachite Green into the system so I'll have to phase out the fish and only use them for breeding. The Tilpia are very friendly and like to nibble on my fingers. Some are up to 450mm in length and look like German U-boats in the tank. System is extremely stable so far. Tilapia are very sensitive to strangers and hide when new people try to come and have a look. When my family and I are peering into the tank, they swarm inches away from us.

badflash
08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Nice! You'll recover just fine. Mistakes like yours will save others a lot of hassles. We've all had setbacks. I remember the time Jackalope salted his sick fish only to wipe out his plants. Stucco had his bout with soft water, and I've killed countless tilapia in my learning curve. Just keep learning and sharing!

Biggles1212
08-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks, I'm in the process of getting the green house up. Thereafter I will start on my three growing areas. I'd like to use the gravel, DWC and a modified raised bed to grow different veggies and fruit. I'm not trying to build a pure aquaponics system because nature isn't one. I see nature uses various systems to deal with different problems. What we're doing is to try and emulate nature. On the farm where I got the Tilapia the owner has huge lands full of beautiful veggies watered with water from his massive fish dams. I saw that and thought. Hey just place a liner under it all and recover the water that filters down and recirculate it. I most probably will feed the water through the 20mm gravel beds first and then through to the DWC. The raised bed will only be water in the morning and afternoon.

Oldandfound1
08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Hell-o Phalaborwa,
Thought I would look up where that is and discovered the many pictured link to your home town.
It is Africa after all.
http://www.google.com/images?q=Phalabor ... 22&bih=520 (http://www.google.com/images?q=Phalaborwa&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=r2BvTJzKEomosQOA0LWDCw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQsAQwAw&biw=922&bih=520)
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Biggles1212
08-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Hi Oldandfound1,

We're right at the gate to the Kruger National Park. So we see our fair of game. The mines around here have dropped their fences so I often see elephant, zebra, giraffe, buffalo, a lot of buck and the odd big cat. Baboons are of course plentiful and always fun to watch. Other than that we're famous for our big open cast mines. Aptly called the "Two Summers" it's always hot. Mozambique is a stone throw away via a drive through the park and is a great place to go.

Biggles1212
09-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Got busy this weekend and made some tanks. I bought some 4mm HDPE sheeting to make tanks for a friend and myself. Unfortunately for me, only my friends plastic was in stock so we his tank on Saturday. The tank is 1.95m in diameter and 1m tall. We plan to sink the tank 800mm or so into the ground. It was quite a lengthy task but a very rewarding one. In my system I managed to get my 5000L tanks fairly cheap, but I would much have preferred to make my own tanks now that this one is complete. We used 4mm plastic HDPE sheeting. Welding was done with a LEISTER hot air welder. It quite tiring if your not used to crawling around a lot. Next weekend I start my grow beds for my system as well as buying steel for my greenhouse. I didn't get the welding quite right the first time so I had to weld some leaks closed. Currently the tank is doing an overnight test full of water so we can have the tank perfect before burying it in the ground.

I'd like to make smaller systems to sell later on, but for now it's still school fees.

Here's a view of the tank from above.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/05092010.jpg

We loaded it onto the back of the bakkie and went to drop it off. Here's a pic of the grow bed aswell.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/05092010_012.jpg

Oldandfound1
09-05-2010, 12:31 PM
HI Biggles 1212,
Great going on the tank. What is your water source? If it is city is it treated?
That son will be riding that scooter around the rim of that tub after a little practice.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Biggles1212
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi Oldandfound1

I use water from the tap. Our tap water is potable. I normally let it turn over for a day for a new tank before adding fish and haven't had any losses so far. I also top up with the same water.

Biggles1212
09-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Working on the Grow beds. I cut my panels on my DIY cnc. Running Mach3 controlling software on an old P4 computer. The CNC was setup to cut wood, but flies through plastic. I'm really excited about using the cnc because panels can be easily cut and I'd like to design and finish a custom swirl filter with a cone at the bottom. This will be the water used for my potato, carrots and fruit trees.

I built the CNC after I had a good go at removing my thumb with the table saw. Fortunately it was just a small nip, but I've got a small chamfer on my right thumb to remind me to be careful. It's wonderfull to be able to dial in the dimensions you want and just what it cut for you while you stand safely out of harms way. Previously I cut out 3D puzzles from plywood for the boys. It's a case of "If you can dream it, You can make it."

Next week I need to buy some wood boards to make a proper table for the machine. I use a lot of jigs so I normally work without a table.

At one time the whole family was busy in the garage today. My wife and I have four boys and I think in time my Garage is going to be too small.

As I've said before I'm welding my own Grow Beds out of 4mm HDPE plastic sheets. I'm already very sorry for having bought the tanks. I could have made them for a 1/3 of the cost I paid for them. My friends tanks took a while to get right. I didn't quite get all the welds perfect so there were a few water tests before we sealed things properly. I eventually got the hang of things so my welds are quite strong and leak proof. I do three welds over the joints to make sure though.

The wonderful thing is that from now one I don't have to scavenge from the Plastic Bucket store anymore and my stuff is purpose made.

I've been thinking of build an auto siphon like Affnan's swirl siphon. Has anyone tried it. I've used an auto sphon before with great success, but as I'm already locating my flush control outside the growbed, it might be something to try and wondered if anyone else has had a go.

Setting Up the CNC to cut the panels for the grow bed. I had two little helpers, Daddy's Little Helpers #1 and #2.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/12092010.jpg

Cutting the panels for the ends on the Grow Bed.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/12092010_004.jpg

My eldest boy sweeping away the shavings. Cutting plastic is much better than wood, no dust!
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/12092010_006.jpg

Welding in one of the side panels. #1 is doing all the photo taking.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/12092010_008.jpg

Daddy's other helper #3 is also giving a hand. Fortunately son #4 is too small to be in the Garage, it's getting crowded in here.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/12092010_015.jpg

Close up of welding with speed nozzle.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/12092010_012.jpg

Two sides welded in, I'll continue tomorrow.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/12092010_016.jpg

Big Al
09-12-2010, 02:36 PM
hi biggles1212, that plastics welder looks pretty cool i want one of them. nice job on the diy cnc milling machine very nice. my little helpers need some lessons from yours but mine are 14 & 15 so i think theres no hope. good luck Big Al

dufflight
09-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I've used those plastic welders before. Is the weld going to be strong enough. Is the GB to be free standing or inside a frame.

Oldandfound1
09-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Hi Biggles1212,
Gosh, when you are done over there and have a month free come on over I could use a hand. :lol:
What great lessons you are teaching. Most memorable times of childhood are spent with dad in the shop.
I put an 8' x 15' table in my last double garage. Used up most of the middle. Table saw on one end, band saw on the other, under pinner on one side, gobs of shelves underneath.
Thanks for all the cool pictures.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Biggles1212
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Big Al,

Thanks. I'm very blessed with them and often get compliments on how well behaved and good mannered they are. They make being a Dad the best thing ever. The Welder is a Leister Triac S and is Swiss made. It's paid for itself a few times over already. At work I fixed some car headlights and the total value of new lights would have bought the same welder. At home all the grow beds and tanks would have cost me far more. I still want to custom a swirl filter for myself.

I marvel when I keep reading people saying they get their barrels for free. The best price I can get on a barrel here is the equivalent of US$ 60-00. The poorer communities have a real demand for them for water storage so they have a high value here in South Africa. South African in my province are generally very poor at service and exceptionally greedy too, so buying what I need is out of the question. My final cost to build the tank with all costs included is a fraction of an outright purchase of a tank. But it's not the price I'm after, it's the ability to create a custom tank of any size and shape.

Design is always a compromise. When you start with recycled barrels, that's a compromise. When you buy a ready made system, that too is a compromise and every compromise brings with it a limitation. My compromise was the capital to buy the equipment and the time lost because I didn't have any more spare cash to build.

Dufflight,

The sheets are 4mm HDPE with 3 runs of weld on the current design. The grow beds are fitted into frames and supported, but from handling them I've found them more than capable of free standing. I weld both sides of the join as well. My friend and I have through some unplanned test procedures aka "dropping and falling" have tested the tanks and grow beds somewhat.

Oldandfound1,

A garage is an awesome place to be. The whole family with wife included are regularly in the garage. I do need to tidy it up again though. My third little boy is really into tools. He leaves no box unopened and packs everything out. He's also taken to collecting tools for himself too and takes them inside the house. So far we have a set of keys for one of the cars missing and he's building up a Ratchet and socket set for himself by hiding the parts in the book shelf to fetch later. He's 1 1/2 years but totally undeterred by that, he has started to test mom's powered kitchen appliances. And if we can't open the child proof cap, I'm sure he'll help.

Most of all the garage is a cool place to hang out and give birth to ideas. My friend popped over to get some fish for his new tanks which I posted above and came back at 6pm to help me build my grow beds. Aquaponics is so addictive that people just want to get involved.

My fish are getting quite big and if I dangle my fingers in the water they try to "bite" them. It's quite something to have a Tilapia latching onto your finger up to the first segment. Seems to be a test of manhood to see how long you can keep you hand in the tank.

I want to make a sign for my green house. "Powered By Fish Poo".

Big Al
09-14-2010, 04:25 AM
hi Biggles1212, you are so right on the addiction. i have people stop by all the time just to check things out my neighbors even send over people over to see whats going on. it's wonderful conversation there is nothing better than saying i built it myself. best of luck Big Al

Biggles1212
09-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Well, I got very busy with the grow beds and have finished three so far. Now its just to plumb them into the system.

After I caught some fish for my friend for his aquaponic system, my fish became very shy. However Tilapia speak a universal language. Food. At first I fed them lettuce by sticking nearly my whole arm into the water. They started nibbling on my fingers too and tamed up.

Then I remembered that the last time my Dad was in Singapore they went to a place where the fish nibbled on their feet in some sort of therapeutic place. I thought I'd give it a go. Well I popped my feet in the water and at first one or two came to inspect but soon I had a crowd of 20 or more Tilapia happily munching away on my feet. The big Tilapia do tug quite hard on your toes while the medium ones seem to rasp your feet. It feels like a cats rough tongue when they do that. The little ones are the hardest to deal with. The tiny pricks all over your feet are really ticklish.

When the tank got into the swing of things, everyone outside the tank wanted feet in and all the Tilapia were jockeying for foot space. It's quite something to look down and see you feet covered in fish up to the water line.

My mom couldn't wait and instantly ordered Dad to bring her over and also spent a good hour with her feet in the tank. Needless to say if you thought sitting next to your tank was relaxing in the afternoons, fill the tank with feet hungry Tilapians. It's lots of fun.

PS If you have really big Tilapia, they try to make a hit and run with your toes so be prepared. I had one that found a leg hair and neither for life nor death was it going to let go. That was the only really sore nibble.

My wife and third son are too scared to try the tank. So don't be surprised if not everyone wants to join you on your new adventure. So if you can't get Lemna to grow. Place your size 10's in the water.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/DSC02202.jpg

Biggles1212
09-26-2010, 12:02 PM
I was keen to get a duck weed pond going and drove to the next town checking every pond on the way. I found one, which was chock a block full of duckweed, and unfortunately a lot of snails. I was a bit afraid of bilharzia and after doing some reading on the net, I chucked it all away. It seems the snails lay eggs that carry the bilharzia worm and if you swim or drink the water, you can get it. It is possible to receive treatment, but I'm not gong to expose my family to that.

Does anyone know where I can get safe bilharzia and snail free duckweed in South Africa? I would most appreciate it and my Tilapia too.

Oldandfound1
09-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Biggles,
My Google up of bilharzia suggest it is the disease causing worm present especially the tropics. A billion people threatened by it. Do not think I would want it in my salad either. You may want to import some Duckweed from outside the tropics.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Biggles1212
10-17-2010, 11:21 AM
It was time to check the tank bottom. My boys have been busy and one of them likes to drop irrigation pipes into the fish tank. I put on my goggles and slipped in. Well the fish are pretty used to me now and so I did get a nibble or two while floating around in my tank.

I found the pipes on the bottom of the tanks and stirred the bottom up a bit so the settled material could be pumped away. When the water got murky it was pretty hard to see and scouring the bottom for pipes and fittings became difficult. Trying to stay 2m under water for any length of time becomes a challenge between your breadth and bouyancy.

In the meantime we cut out one of the Nasturtium plants only to see it raise itself from the ashes yet again. The cherry tomato plant took the opportunity to go nuts as well. Fortunately the new grow bed is in place and we can expect better results with the greenhouse being raised soon too.

Will post some pics soon.

Biggles1212
12-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Update on the duckweed, I fetched some from a river not to far away and lifted out a 500ml bottle half filled with some duck weed. This was then transplanted to a new bottle taking care not to carry across any snails that were in the first bottle. After about 10 days there hasn't been any appearance of new snails. The new bottle it is quarantined in is full of fish water so the duckweed is already multiplying.

In my old penny wort tank, I've been filling it up with water used to clean out my dirty filters. I also had to double the shade cloth covering as 40% isn't worth a stitch where we stay. The last three days have had max temperatures over 40 degree C (104F). I've noticed with the added covering and the supply of nutrients that the Penny Wort grows really well and the fish are quite fond of it. I usually scoop 4 or 5 handfuls every day and put it in the main fish tank for the fish to snack on. I also use worm tea to put nutrients into the system and the Penny Wort is growing well.

The Guppies in the Penny Wort tank are really big and fat. I'm not sure if they're pregnant or over eating. I put them in the tank to avoid mosquito problems. Which is good practice if you live in a Malaria Belt.

davidstcldfl
12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a great update Biggles.... :D

Biggles1212
07-17-2011, 11:22 AM
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/Weldingtheframe.jpg

My friend Gerrie and I welded the frame 95% finished last week. We made a few finishing touches on Saturday.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/paintedframe.jpg

A little paint makes everything look pretty.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/testposition.jpg

Well the tank is in position with the support frame surrounding it and has been on test since Saturday.

I'm very grateful there are no leaks.

This tank is part of the mass conversion of my system to a CHOP system.

davidstcldfl
07-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi Biggles... :D
Thats a big tank..... :mrgreen:

Biggles1212
07-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi David,

Yes it's 1mx2mx1m high. I've got plans to build a few of them and use my current 5000L tank which is already sunk in the ground as a sump. Basically my plan is to oversize my system relative to the number of fish so only 50 to 100 fish will be transferred to this tank. Some fish are big at around 400mm long. Not really sure how to catch them just yet. But the plan is to have at least seven of these tanks. I'm seriously thinking of building a grow bed to fit on top to make better utilisation of the area, but proper concrete slabs extra will need to be build first.

Biggles1212
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Got the new grow bed in position. It's all painted and pretty, but I ran out of stone to fill it up.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/Aquaponics/Phalaborwa-20110725-00051.jpg

Some last views of the whole system before it gets move. Unfortunately it means a lot of civil's work so it might not just happen yet. In the mean time I've still got a whole bunch of fish tanks to finish and a lot more grow beds.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/Biggles1212/Aquaponics/Phalaborwa-20110725-00060.jpg

dgatngala
08-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Hi Biggles

I'm down in Amanzimtoti and I've been following your posts. I like the systems you've been making for yourself and its given me some ideas for a system I'd like to start up with an old Intex pool. Any news/updates on your renovations?

Cheers,

D

Biggles1212
08-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi D,

There have been a stack. I've been a bit involved with continuous improvement projects as work so I haven't had that much time available on the net to post stuff. Will update ASAP.

PS If you can sink that Intex pool in the ground and make it safe from kids etc, it'll really help.

Cheers

Biggles

Stratos
11-11-2012, 01:02 PM
hey Biggles,

I'm also from phalaborwa and has recently started taking an interest in aquaponics and fishfarming ... i would love to have some more updates on your project ... and also in which river you found the duckweed

Stratos