PDA

View Full Version : Hello from France and help for my aquaponic projet

Frenchaqua
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I am new on the forum,

Happy to find this DIY forum, aquaponic is clearly important for future food supply particulary High Density urban farming. i have been very interested in all way to grow food since years, and have experimented large permaculture project on a farm with my family.

But today i want to introduce aquaponic (and HD farms) in France in a dome greenhouse of near 100 square meters (near 350 square foot), and i have few questions about aquaponic. with this project i have also the idea of a forest garden in permaculture and a nursery of lot's of trees.

I am great experimented in R&D project, so i would like build max parts of my system, currently i am reading all the back issues aquaponic journa, at this time i am learning how to build a round 12m3 fish tank with windows all around for demonstration purpose, and how to make my clarifier.

my questions are :

- anyone had already put an acrylic window on a PE polyethylen fish tank ? is it easy/ hard/ not recommended ?

- about clarifier it's still the critic component in the system for me... there's so much ways to do it... drum/belt filters, sediment basin and plate clarifier.. solids removal is important because i want clear water for the fish, power consuption is not very critical for me but i look for a reliable and hard system in the long term without clogging...
i am at this time looking more and more to simple sediment basin... that can be used for red craw fish ... any idea ? Does a DIY drum or belt filter is feasible and practicable ?

Thanks and Best regards,
Marc

JCO
08-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers.

Now that you have your feet wet asking for help, please start a new thread for you project under the topic, backyard systems and we will try to help you as much as possible. :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
08-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Hello Frenchaqua.........Welcome !... :D

Read throught this....It may give you an idea or two on DIY filters.
Hello from Harties, South Africa. (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?357-Hello-from-Harties-South-Africa)

Then you can go to 'BACKYARD STSTEMS'... start your own post there, and start asking questions and posting pictures.... :)

Frenchaqua
08-15-2010, 03:55 AM
:lol: OK ! thanks guys...i put first my feet under the table,

thanks David for the link i didn't know about wicking bed, very interesting, and for the swiring filter...

i will study all that before posting,

see you soon !

Marc

badflash
08-15-2010, 07:44 AM
- anyone had already put an acrylic window on a PE polyethylen fish tank ? is it easy/ hard/ not recommended ?

I've seen poly tanks sold with windows, but it seems like a lot of trouble. It needs lots of bolts and a big gasket. In a home made environment, you'd be asking for leaks.

Oldandfound1
08-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Welcome Frenchaqua,
I too have only seen one fish tank window in a commercial tilapia movie. Lots of bolts and silicone. Most AP fish tanks are open topped so fish are viable.
Best Wishes
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Big Al
08-16-2010, 07:54 AM
hi frenchaqua, check out the srac web site srac.tamu.edu go to the fact sheets sheet #4501 constructing a simple and inexpensive recirculating aquaculture system for classroom use. it has a complete instruction and parts list for your build. good luck Big Al

Frenchaqua
08-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks all,

Yes windows on poly(ethylène)(PE) tank looks quite common... i have contacted a company in Europe, they can make 5 large 60cm (23") acrylic windows (1 cm thick or less than 1/2") all around a 3,5m (12 feet) wide 1,5m high (5feet) high contener.... for 333$US each !

Yes thats stainless bolts and silicone... So i look to make that myself ! the company made calculs and said 60cm wide maximum and max 5 windows for this tank...

Thanks Big Al i have seen your link : https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/event/g ... sheet/182/ (https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/event/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/182/)

it's the same job... but if it's me i will put the lexan (acrylic) sheet IN the barrel... not outside. :geek:

Sure that's a point of failure and water loss but if that's for demonstration purpose that's very important and give a great place for your daily's aquaponic meditation no ?

what's the most important in the life ? :shock: :mrgreen: :idea:

jackalope
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! Questions are always welcome, don't be too skeeered to ask, we don't bite (well, maybe one or two of us, but not all of us :lol: :lol: ) We love questions, and we especially love photos ;) Please be sure to put where you live in your profile so we know what part of the country/hemisphere/planet you are in ..... someone who lives nearby may be able to help you out personally as well.

We have a great FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/faq.php) button for navigating the website controls, etc. at the top of the page, next to the "Members" button, please check it out if you haven't already done so.
We also have another FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=93) section which contains many of the hints and tips that have been collected along the way ..........

Before posting any URLs or emails, please take a look at the Forum Rules (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=103) .....
If you see something that you would like added to these FAQs, please let a moderator or admin know, and we'll discuss it and possibly add it to the list!

BTW, we have a special section for off-topic conversations called "The Sump" (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=102) to hopefully avoid crapping threads and keeping things on topic ;)

Once again, WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!: :!:

Frenchaqua
08-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Thanks jack !

I am in the south of France in the pyrennées montains, currently i am searching a land for the project and i make a file for investment of the... bank, but ethic bank.

you can see me on the photo the DIY greenhouse dome. it's 10m (33feet) wide.

i will open new topics now for my questions.

Frenchaqua
08-17-2010, 04:11 AM
OOOps, photo is 5MO... too big for forum !

sorry

jackalope
08-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Looking forward to the pix Frenchaqua :)

JCO
08-18-2010, 04:36 AM
You could always resize it a bit :mrgreen:

matwalk
08-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi, my name is Mike and I am also new to this forum. I am interested in raising fish and growing produce in a closed loop system. My co-worker wants me to raise a few coy for his pond. I have (4) 275 gallon tanks and (5) 55 gallon drums all are food grade. Where do I start. My hobbies are fishing, hunting, berry picking and organic gardening. My location is Southern Central Michigan, USA

JCO
08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Matwalk, go to the topic heading Backyard systems and post that same question there and that will be your project thread and just start asking questions and be ready to post photos as you progress :mrgreen:

Frenchaqua
08-19-2010, 02:00 AM
OOoops ! the foto is too heavy (5MB) i can't load it sorry !

JCO
08-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Can you resize it and make it smaller? :mrgreen: