PDA

View Full Version : Oldandfound1 Greenhouse And Aquaponics

Oldandfound1
08-05-2010, 06:07 PM
The future looked Grave. It was then about 2 months ago in June when Aquaponics came into my vocabulary. I used to have other interests. I can not remember them now.The Depth was stopped by hard pan, so expansion was only going to be laterally.

[attachment=0:2c8t631n]Sump in early digging.jpg[/attachment:2c8t631n]
Expansion continued along with other parts searching and perimeter building. Spread in 2 pick-up loads of 7/8" gravel.[attachment=2:2c8t631n]Greenhouse over the Fence.jpg[/attachment:2c8t631n]
[attachment=1:2c8t631n]First pile of gravel.jpg[/attachment:2c8t631n]
On our farm are 2 Goats, about 50 chickens, 15 Muscovy ducks with more on the way, 50 rabbits (number goes up and down in sales, and what multiplication I allow.
A 75'x100' dirt garden, several flower beds, numerous hanging baskets round out the chores daily in feeding and watering.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Oldandfound1
08-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Then there was the Muscovy Duckling that needed to be hatched by hand.
[attachment=2:2eq11lok]Removing Muscovy from Shell.jpg[/attachment:2eq11lok]
They begin to discover the great outdoors. The dining room brooding was getting smelly so they got moved to a brooder in the barn.
[attachment=1:2eq11lok]Ducklings in yard Muscovy.jpg[/attachment:2eq11lok]
Continued digging and laying in 4"x4"x8' treated perimeter for the greenhouse. Weeks were flying by with hours of forum reading (it does satisfy), YouTube watching, etc. Discovered an ironmonger and recycle a few miles away.
My wife with one of the English Lop bunnies in Blue.
[attachment=0:2eq11lok]English Lop (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2eq11lok]
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Oldandfound1
08-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Then some of the harder chores suffered for time on the internet. Eventually, the perimeter was getting secured. The framing clips were 50 cents a pound. They were screwed to the 5/8" re-bar driven in the ground and also held the galvanized posts also driven in the ground for the Hoop Greenhouse.
[attachment=2:1pkxan6l]Perimeter with attaching clips and hoop post.jpeg[/attachment:1pkxan6l]
About then a 325 gallon IBC turned up on a CL. It was 120 miles away round trip for $50. Unfortunately, the used for "Water Label" , had a grease pen X on it faded, and around another side a chemical label.
I have not deserted as a fish tank just yet. My brother suggested leaving water in it for a while to see if an algae bloom will flourish. Suggesting if so then it would probably support fish. Not formed in the nature of a question but it is. Anybody?
[attachment=1:1pkxan6l]325 Gallon IBC.jpeg[/attachment:1pkxan6l]
"Joey" was in an accident with a car a year ago. Vet surgery removed his tail. Smart as they come, and opinionated about everything.
[attachment=0:1pkxan6l]Joey the tailless Papillion Leaves inspectors message.jpeg[/attachment:1pkxan6l]
Dennis
Oldandfound1

jackalope
08-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I remember those days of "hand hatching" chicks and ducklings (as well as Turkens and goslings) .... growing up on a mini-farm in the 40's and 50's was a good education, and I'm sure you children (or grandchildren) will thank you for that kind of education in the future ;)

Big Al
08-06-2010, 01:23 PM
hi oldandfound1, so far it's looking good and im glad to see your getting your project inspected. all your hard work will be worth it. good luck Big Al

Oldandfound1
08-06-2010, 01:37 PM
In some future posts I will fill in some things that have otherwise happened. Today,
Mrs. and I took a 40 feet of 11/2" PVC and put it on the posts as a test.[attachment=2:1anx19mp]40 Feet of GH Hoop (Medium).jpeg[/attachment:1anx19mp]
PVC deflection link; http://www.northernpipe.com/NPP_PVC_Hom ... ction.html (http://www.northernpipe.com/NPP_PVC_Home/Engineering/PVC_Pipe_Deflection/pvc_pipe_deflection.html)
After it was up we stood back and looked. At 23'10" wide, the arc top is 13'6".
Question follows below.[attachment=1:1anx19mp]Patio View of Hoop.jpeg[/attachment:1anx19mp]
Then I step to the inside north wall and snap this photo for perspective.
[attachment=0:1anx19mp]Inside perspective of Hoopo.jpeg[/attachment:1anx19mp]
The 4"x4" end wall frame is about 8'6" above ground level. The hoop arc is 5'6" above that.
Greater expense in construction of larger hoops which will have PVC tees and Cross tees for 3 purlin. Hoop legs are 4 feet spacing.
The question is, "In a greenhouse would I rather have greater air volume than less"
I might be able to cut a couple of feet off of each leg and bring the elevation down to 11'6" thereby.reducing air volume about 2500 cubic feet.
Hoop house is 23'10"x31'7" or by volume
V = 7850 ft3
Thank you
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Oldandfound1
08-08-2010, 08:10 PM
The local transit system uses acrylic windows and advertising panels on the pay per ride bus. When they get vandalized they are replaced. They salvaged out to various uses in the last three years as dirt garden A-Frame row covers, hot boxes, rabbit and chicken nesting boxes and elsewhere.
[attachment=1:16konrk2]Sump View with Concrete Footing.jpeg[/attachment:16konrk2]
I made up some double layers with an 1/8" cedar spacer and walled up the vertical walls of the pit. We have moles and shrews, trying to keep them out and walls up.
Some of those old squares of sticky-back carpet have been following me around too long. They are on the bottom. Behind the acrylic panels some old rubber like 1/8" thin insulator cut and slid behind the panels. Some lumber on stilts to brace the walls.
Laid out some forms and poured the concrete footing around the pit.
Placed some 2"x8" framing clips in the poured corners for start off framing of a raised wall. Eventually line the pit and walls with Pool Liner.
Also poured around a couple of 1" galvanized steel pipe for later support of "Whatever".
Our dirt garden has some 8'-9'2" foot tall Black Oil Sunflowers our neighbor gave us. She said they would be short.
[attachment=0:16konrk2]Sunflower with Bee 2.jpeg[/attachment:16konrk2]

Hotrodmike
08-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Dennis
Welcome to your new addiction (as I was told ) :D & here
Looks like you have a pretty good start on things .
Hardpan LOL I just finished pick-axing a 9' x 9' x 3' hole for a FT and last two foot was rock and caliche ;)
On the greenhouse ,if it were me . I would drop the roof some . Wash. doesnt get that bitter cold as the coastal winds help but it does get cold and you dont have real hot summers so if you plan on running in the colder months you will need to heat . Heat rises ! So here in Texas I should have gone with a taller roof ,there I think a shorter one would benefit you more. My painter just came back from Carnation last week said he left 100 deg here to wearing a hoodie up there !
Have A Kind Day
Mike

Oldandfound1
08-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the advice HotRodMan. Between the logic of heating a smaller area and my wife insisting the thing was too tall, I came to a compromise 3 feet shorter, now at 10'6" at the center. Three foot tall galvanized posts driven in the ground now protrude to accept the PVC. These pipes are clipped to the perimeter 4"x4" treated wood. The white tops are pieces of gauze wrapped on to keep the pipe edge from cutting into the PVC.
[attachment=2:2yq8x6xw]Fishished Hoop Design from North Wall.jpeg[/attachment:2yq8x6xw]
Assembled and painted two more sticks 34 feet long yesterday, and painted the one in the air. Controversy over the chemical emissions of PVC eating away on the greenhouse cover material. Some say it does, some not. I am erring on the "paint it" side. It is white paint so it will not have heat gain.
[attachment=1:2yq8x6xw]Two Painted 34 foot PVC.jpeg[/attachment:2yq8x6xw]
Put the walls up on the sump pit earlier this week.
[attachment=0:2yq8x6xw]Side view Sump Wall up.jpeg[/attachment:2yq8x6xw]
Dares't ye look at the next post for the paint color of the wood. It was some old 1/2"x6" cedar fencing, salvaged by a fence contractor about 3 years ago who gave it away on CL. Turned out to be very tight knot fence boards and nearly straight grain 2"x4" support rails. The wall is assembled two layers with overlapping seams or "ship lap". Eventually only about 16" of water depth above the pit level.5'6" wide by 7'8" long. Top framing still in the future.
Constantly looking for pool liner. Went out on a CL today unsure of size of 45 mil EDPM. It was only 10 feet wide x15'. I need a minimum of 12'x14'.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

davidstcldfl
08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Lookin' good Dennis... :D

The paint on the pvc hoops, will protect the pvc too. It will , eventually become brittle in the sunlight. The gray, pvc conduit is UV protected....go figure... :roll:

Oldandfound1
08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
[attachment=1:1acl4qe6]Sump end view Painted.jpeg[/attachment:1acl4qe6]
Peuse in use. Home Depot reject color. Somebody, a designer wasted someone else's time in line at the paint counter selecting this color and then returning it seeing how Peuse it was. I might have ten or more cans of designer reject in the garage. Love to have it handy. Probably put on another coat. Then expect to paint an attractive mural on the walls with the Peuse background from some other designer rejects. OK, so I won't ever show at the Louvre.
[attachment=0:1acl4qe6]Chicken Run Out in the morning.jpeg[/attachment:1acl4qe6]
Our chickens in the moments after the door swings open in the morning to turn them loose in the field.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Hotrodmike
08-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm guessing my input was not that important :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think if I ever did another . I would sink it 3 foot( yes I would get a backhoe ) deep or build 4' tall ferrocement walls for the thermal mass . This last week has been 100 so everything in the greenhouse is at a standstill as above 90 plants go into survival mode ,well except all the Pineapples they seem to love it .
I dont see you having this problem but cold is just as bad
Have A Kind Day
Mike

Oldandfound1
08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
HRM
Like you said it is about heat loss. Agreeing to lower the bar reduced the chance of heat home front. Hmm - neglected to mention your logic which favored her position.

Hotrodmike
08-12-2010, 10:16 AM
HRM
Like you said it is about heat loss. Agreeing to lower the bar reduced the chance of heat home front. Hmm - neglected to mention your logic which favored her position.
ROFLMAO
Well I was talking BTU but WTU are a more potent force by far . Still looks good even shorter !
Have A Kind Day
Mike

davidstcldfl
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Peuse in use. Home Depot reject color. Somebody, a designer wasted someone else's time in line at the paint counter selecting this color and then returning it seeing how Peuse it was.

My moitor lost one of it's primary colors, some time back.......If Peuse looks like that on my monitor now.....
WOW, I wonder how Peuse , it really is ?..... :shock: :lol:
I've got AP stuff to buy.....a new monitor is low on the list.... :roll:

badflash
08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Peuse is the color you see after a baby pukes up strained peas.

stucco
08-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I think I like the peuse.

Oldandfound1
08-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Caught the sunset on our Animal Menagerie couple of nights ago in a telephoto from the patio.
[attachment=2:3mc1idm6]Sunset on the Animals (Medium).jpeg[/attachment:3mc1idm6]
For Puget Sounders temperatures in the 90's prevent me from getting outdoors. Blood pressure medications keep my heart at a constant @ 65 bpm, regardless of activity level. 15 minutes and I am ready to wring myself out.
Stopped out on some errands yesterday and found myself near a carpet retailer. Around the side of the building was an old wooden dumpster with some pad. Just enough and then some to under line the Peuse Goose Sump.
[attachment=1:3mc1idm6]Foaming the Sump (Medium).jpeg[/attachment:3mc1idm6]
Still in a quandary about balancing water temperatures. If I insulate an under ground sump against the underground moderating temperature of around 45 degrees then the water will move closer to the air temperature seasonally. In Western Washington wintry days are in the 40's mostly daytime. Occasional 3-4 weeks some years of below freezing and snows.
By the way total water volume, sump, fish tank, beds around a 1,000 gallons.
Our summer temperatures are modestly in the 70's on pleasant days, sixties when overcast. Once, twice, maybe three times a summer as with this 5 day fore cast in the nineties. The insulated sump will not exchange away as well the higher temperature from the beds and water lines in the greenhouse. Catch 22.
Now that all that is up in virtual space I have decided to forget about it and run a season. See what happens.
Oh, evenings when it cools off the Mrs. and I get out and spring load the painted hoops and slip them over the galvanized 3' posts.
[attachment=0:3mc1idm6]Grenhouse Hoops from North Wall (Medium).jpeg[/attachment:3mc1idm6]
She is pleased to see it becoming something other than the perimeter ground work. Thinks it is just right.

Oldandfound1
08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
The first two hoops have 1 1/2" PVC purlins (3) in place. The cut off 3' on each end of the 40 foot hoop, a 1 1/2"tee, and and s short piece make up the gap. Tee's are facing downward for later attachment. Three purlins, three tees between each hoop. My shop was cool enough for a while mid-day to assemble some sections indoors. Eventually be a total of 9 Hoops for 32' length.
I have looked nearly everywhere for Hoop Greenhouse UV, and No Drip 6 mil and thicker greenhouse cover. Anyone with experience in selecting from a supplier - advice appreciated.
Taking advice for supplier of pool liner also.
[attachment=0:2vgp2if6]Hoops x 5 side View (Medium).jpeg[/attachment:2vgp2if6]
Enjoy your day,
Dennis
Oldandfound1

badflash
08-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm getting mine here:
http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/produ ... /clear.htm (http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/products/polys/clear.htm)

Oldandfound1
08-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks BadFlash. I have been all over their site. They appear to have a good product.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Oldandfound1
08-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Nearly a week in the 90 degree F. range finally broke today. The sump has been on my mind to get it past the walled up and painted stage.
Took out the last of concrete forms finding some hard edges from the acrylic panels and of the concrete footing. Some of the carpet pad was stapled or glued in place.
[attachment=0:1fj8sfun]Carpeting the hard edges.jpeg[/attachment:1fj8sfun]

Oldandfound1
08-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Some of the rest of the carpet pad was in larger blocks. Once upon a time I had an upholstery shop. Cutting and trimming these pieces went along easily. The rubber backed red carpet squares on the floor are two and three layers thick because I did not want to haul any back to the shop and look at them for another 5 years.
[attachment=1:m9rntcwn]Carpet Pad Sump Surfaces 2.jpeg[/attachment:m9rntcwn]
Another view.
[attachment=0:m9rntcwn]Carpet Pad Sump Surfaces.jpeg[/attachment:m9rntcwn]
We moved to our farm in February, 2010. Last week we had the home professionally insulated, crawl, attic, pipes, duct work, and crawl space moisture barrier. In inherited a short roll of black visqueen from this project.
After about an hour of pushing and folding and listening to myself crinkle this stuff into the sump pit the sun broke through the overcast morning. The visqueen was instantly warmer to the touch and more co-operative.
Imagine a rectangular mushroom stem with a larger rectangular cap. That is the shape of the sump. The visqueen is 12 feet wide and 15 feet long, a measure cut one foot longer than actual dimension anticipating wrinkles and such.
Can not remember the name of the living room game popular a few years ago. It consisted of a pad spread on the floor and of one or two players having to reach different spots with feet and hands while becoming entangled in the other player.
Pretty much tangled up myself that way for a while.
Sun has been out for a while so maybe I will go out and dress up the folds.
The visqueen is the last layer before the pool liner.

davidstcldfl
08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Can not remember the name of the living room game popular a few years ago. It consisted of a pad spread on the floor and of one or two players having to reach different spots with feet and hands while becoming entangled in the other player.
Pretty much tangled up myself that way for a while.

'Twister'

Oldandfound1
08-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey thanks davidstcldfl,
Answer given about what happened to that trailer park in the Tornado belt, and what I once could do when Chubby Checker Sang. :?
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Oldandfound1
08-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Someone posted up a go around for PVC Tee Reducers, 1 1/2" x 1", or 3/4" Tee.
So I thought I would give it a try as these reducers are pretty costly each. I am moving toward Barrels for grow beds, got four of them for free this week, each half barrel needs a tee to supply fish water.
This is what I read about.
[attachment=2:2cuc20rq]PVC Threading Instructional 003 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2cuc20rq]
First thing was shopping for a tap and dye for NPT. Harbor Freight had cheap metric machine thread kits, but it was $40.00 and up for pipe thread kits. Could not buy the individuals for 3/4" or 1/2".
The idea hit me a few days before to try a heated iron pipe nipple.
Drilled a 3/4" hole with a butterfly bit through short length of 1 1/2" sch 40 PVC. Got the nipple pretty hot and made up a threading through a single wall. It held a bushing, but I was not happy. Took a piece of 2" which fits sloppily over 1 1/2" sch. 40 ran it over the table saw extracting a piece about 2" long and 1 1/2" wide. This patch sat pretty snugly against the smaller 1 1/2" so on went the primer and glue and clamped with a channel lock pliers for 30 seconds.
Got back to the experiment the next day, drilled a hole through the double wall, heated up the nipple again and produced a viable thread. Reduced the heating time on the nipple in the second go, had to reheat it to finish the threading.
[attachment=1:2cuc20rq]PVC Threading Instructional 001.jpg[/attachment:2cuc20rq]
For a single wall assembly it would likely tighten up with PVC Cement, or silicone.
For the double wall fittings would likely be water tight for no or low pressure flow and the use of Teflon pipe tape when the attachment would benefit from occasional dis-assembly for cleaning.
For a long supply line to numerous bed drains laying out a string line down a length of pipe, measuring the location for each drain on the string line, applying the 2" PATCH, drill and thread on the shop bench before assembly to the grow bed area.
Dabble some white paint on the purple primer to dress it up.
[attachment=0:2cuc20rq]PVC Threading Instructional 002.jpg[/attachment:2cuc20rq]
Took these photos on the larger burner on the kitchen range.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Oldandfound1
08-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Slowed down just a bit late this week when Niece and family from Idaho visited. Lots of laughs for a day and a half.
Finished up the last four hoops and painted. Mrs and I set them this afternoon. Installed as many purlin pieces as were ready. Nine more to go, and we will put up a flag.
[attachment=1:2g40o32p]HOOPS UP Nine more Purlins 001.jpg[/attachment:2g40o32p]
[attachment=0:2g40o32p]HOOPS UP Nine more Purlins 002.jpg[/attachment:2g40o32p]
Dennis
Oldandfound1

badflash
08-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Looking good! Wish my land was that flat!

Biggles1212
08-22-2010, 03:08 AM
Greenhouse is looking good.

davidstcldfl
08-22-2010, 05:51 AM
Someone posted up a go around for PVC Tee Reducers, 1 1/2" x 1", or 3/4" Tee.

I just ordered these 'Tee Eliminators'. I haven't installed any yet. They are simliar to the uni-seals.
The biggest one (1 1/2") is a dollar.... :)

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... minators/0 (http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1895/Tee-Eliminators/Tee%20eliminators/0)

Oldandfound1
08-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Yesterday I picked up from a CL a complete with pump free Intex 15' pool with the idea of using it to line my sump. It was in use as a pool this summer and for several years before, and along with it came a bushel basket of pool chemicals, filters, attachments etc.
My concern is of course the chemical permeation of the inside of the pool so I thought to use it inside out to line the sump.
Should I proceed?
Every insight appreciated.
Thanks,
Dennis
Oldandfound1

This link to a vendor image.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/nationaldiscoun ... _232388821 (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/nationaldiscountpoolsupplies_2121_232388821)

Hotrodmike
08-31-2010, 01:28 PM
O&F
I do not think I would worry that much as most pool chemical have a very short life and most break down with O2 and sunlight . I would do a light ( reduced %) acid wash and let it set in the sun . I am betting at that point it will grow algae .
Have A Kind Day
Mike

badflash
08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
I agree. Just add some declorinator too the water and you'll be good to go.

DirtDobber
09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Greenhouse looks great! Alot bigger than mine, I'm building a new one. I'll power everything with DC power in the new house.

Oldandfound1
09-24-2010, 11:01 AM
HI DirtDauber,
I have been working on the greenhouse as often as possible lately. We added three sheep to our farm recently. The old barn manger needed to be divided three ways to accommodate the chickens, muscovy ducks, two goats and the new sheep. Also needed to put a cover over the chicken run beside the barn to keep them dryer now that the Seattle rain has settled in. Hay day today, as many bales as we can store up.
The sheep were shore about a week ago. Mrs. and I picked up a spinning wheel on CL.
What a good time it is to actually spin cleaned wool into yarn. Oh! I got to go rinse out some wool.
Pictures later.
Dennnis
Oldandfound1

Oldandfound1
10-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Folks,
For reference sake, the last progress photo posted was almost two months ago. [attachment=2:c7wx6ddx]HOOPS UP Nine more Purlins 002.jpg[/attachment:c7wx6ddx].
Mrs. and I have had a busy Fall season. The chickens needed some cover for their run to keep it dry. We added three sheep to our grazing animals now five with the two goats. So the manger had to be partitioned into stalls. Muscovy ducks were good producers, the chickens are laying about 2 dozen a day, and three rabbit does have kits.
The dirt garden came on with a fair crop of various veggies, however, the damp summer killed off the tomato crop almost completely. Lost 60 plants in a week it seemed when the mildew would not stop.
In the mean time some progress on the greenhouse build. Side boards went up first, followed by two anchor posts with a rafter system built off them. The hoops were cut down from 40' long each to 34'. This resulted in a flatter arc across the top. My concern was snow would collapse the works. Two vertical 4"x4" x8' treated posts were set in concrete moorings. Atop them 2ea 4"x4"x8' treated were attached horizontally with metal clips and painted plywood gussets. Extending from either end additional support was made of painted plywood. The vertical yellow 2"x4" supports were placed on each hoop.
[attachment=1:c7wx6ddx]16 Greenhouse Southeasterly (Custom).JPG[/attachment:c7wx6ddx]
[attachment=0:c7wx6ddx]1 Greenhouse facing South (Custom).JPG[/attachment:c7wx6ddx]
Dennis
Oldandfound1

davidstcldfl
10-23-2010, 10:19 AM
That looks like it'll hold up, about 4 or 5 feet of that white, wet, cold stuff.. :mrgreen:....BRrrrrr !

Oldandfound1
10-23-2010, 10:51 AM
If you have read earlier, you know I like paint, so everything thus far except treated posts,but including hoops has at least two coats of exterior color.[attachment=2:1jtrukzg]15 Greenhouse Entryway (Custom).JPG[/attachment:1jtrukzg][attachment=1:1jtrukzg]12 Greenhouse View from on the Ladder (Custom).JPG[/attachment:1jtrukzg]
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Oldandfound1
10-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Almost forgot. Joey wanted a ride on the "Great Pumpkin"
Dennis
Oldandfound1[attachment=0:1yt6nzb1]Joey and the Great Pumpkin (Custom).JPG[/attachment:1yt6nzb1]

urbanfarmer
10-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Wow, how long did that pumpkin take to grow?

Big Al
10-25-2010, 01:08 PM
hi oldandfound1, the greenhouse is looking good so far. that's a pretty nice pumpkin.
was it late blight you had on your tomatoe's that's bad stuff we had it here last year.
well good luck this winter. Big Al

Oldandfound1
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi Urbanfarmer, the pumpkin was a seedling this May, in the ground in June.

Big Al,
The blight was late. I had no real sign of a problem as the fruit was setting and maturing. A few early ripened were sweet. But as I have read, some tomato blight will set in from the bottom up after the fruit sets. I saw some withering up to about 18 inches on the 6' plus plants. Some of it my own fault at this point, as the plants were so large they overgrew the tomato wire stands and were crowding out the minimum sunlight periods we had. Rain! And when we had a stretch of sun, I was guilty of laziness, Top Watering the crowded plants instead of at the roots on my hands and knees. A few pounds of Roma's and Early girls, those that ripened. Sadly the giant beefsteak turned to mush. I threw out two wheelbarrow loads of bad fruit. We have 4+ acres here, and I dumped out in the woods behind the pasture.
I read also that neither tomatoes nor potatoes can occupy the ground for 4 years when the blight might die off.
Short of nuclear sterilization, or chemicals, apparently steaming (steam cleaner) the soil can be effective killing blight spores. The beneficial bacteria go too in any case.
Then this last week "symptoms" in our Well came to a point. Bucket watering the animals on Weds. morning, the water was suddenly showing ferrous color. No information was available from the county or the sellers when we purchased last January regarding the well - volume, depth, age, nothing except that the property was developed in 1963. Our well man Terry was out in February when he replaced a noisy pump control panel.
He was back last Thursday to replace the well plumbing an pump. Turns out it was 114' deep, he reset the pump at 100'. We have always had good water supply, good appearance, and great taste. However the symptoms Terry saw in February continued. Low pressure. He said then there might be a hole in the well pipe. When he pulled up the last 21 foot section we found two holes. One the size of a pencil, the other about half that size. Both holes were within three feet of the pump which he predicted. Curiously the water temperature was warmer than ground temperature for several weeks prior to this. Our electric bill was higher by $100.00 from our earliest months here than it should have been according to the electric company, family of two in a 1,500 sq.ft.rambler. Terry pointed out the pump was running non-stop heating the water in the casing. Water in the vertical casing pipe about 95' down was draining back through the two holes, triggering the pressure switch in the diaphragm tank room, cycling the pump endlessly. We should recover replacement cost with the electric cost in about 19 months. Pressure went from 40 pounds to 60. Disturbance of rust in the system is still clearing up.
[attachment=2:m2kauvnb]17 One of two holes in well pipe (Custom).JPG[/attachment:m2kauvnb]
[attachment=1:m2kauvnb]5 Pump end of Submersible (Custom).JPG[/attachment:m2kauvnb]
[attachment=0:m2kauvnb]14 Cringing at site of well pump (Custom).JPG[/attachment:m2kauvnb]

Big Al
10-26-2010, 05:01 AM
hi oldandfound1, you just have to love well water if it's been in service since 1963
then i would say it's done it's job well. did you remove the dead tomato plant's from
the ground or leave them. you should remove them and either bag them up and send
them with the garbage or burn them making sure they are completely gone according
to my extension agent here last year. well good luck Big Al

Oldandfound1
10-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Hi Big Al,
I did dig them up and throw them to burn pile out back. I did not burn them yet however. That pile will take a days labor. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

gosmith
10-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi Dennis,

You GH is looking pretty impressive! What kind of covering are you planning on using and how will it be attached?

Sorry to hear about your well problem. It's always a big surprise when the water doesn't come out of the faucet the way it's supposed to. Never cheap to get fixed either.

Our tomatoes got hit with blight as well. Looked like someone took a blowtorch to them. Right when they were starting to produce well too. Some years I've drip watered carefully to keep the leaves as dry as possible and still got nailed. Other years, it's overhead watering all season and it turns out just fine. I think it all just depends on the conditions of that particular season, so I wouldn't blame yourself too much. This weather sure has been good for our fall crops, at any rate. Our broccoli has been excellent. Looking forward to harvesting maple sap in another month or so. That's something new for us and I can't wait to pour some homemade syrup over a stack of sourdough hotcakes on a cold winter's morn.

Keep up the good work! ;)

Gary

Oldandfound1
11-01-2010, 11:29 AM
HI Gary,
You may already know there are several conventional products for covering and attachment of greenhouse cover applications. Regardless of choice it is the most expensive item of the build list.
A number of weeks ago I posed the question on this forum, "Where would a good vinyl come from"? And this company http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/index.htmwas recommended. There are several other vendors out there with confusing price differences, but as near as I can tell it is about mil thickness, and possibly anti-drip coating on the inside side. Anti-drip is available as a spray liquid, as it appears not to be available with Northwest Greenhouse Sales. I believe it will be their product and attachment that we will employ. Their product is of greater mil than others I have found available. The various double wall polycarbonate, and acrylic panels are out of my fixed income budget.
The Mrs. and I had a discussion late last week regarding the covering. While I had hoped to have an operating AP system date of Jan 1st 2011 we decided to install a covering early in late Winter. I have a workshop where the assembly of AP system parts will be built and moved out into the rain. Monday 11/1/10 here and pouring fiercely
There are component parts accumulated here for the last 6 months for construction of barrels, troughs, DWT, and tower which will keep me busy. In addition to the holidays fast approaching, one of the daughters in getting married this weekend the 7th so our lives are full and blessed.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

gosmith
11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Dennis,

Heavy duty rain here as well, plus a little wind to go with it. Dogs give me one of those sad-eyed looks whenever I make them go out to take care of business. Funny they never seem to mind getting all wet and muddy when they play in the creek. It's all big ol' doggy grins then.

Thank you for the link. I had been looking at 6 mil, 4 year rated GH film, which is fairly cheap, but I'd sure like it to last longer before replacement. I assume the thicker 11 mil material with the UV stabilizer would be more durable? I've sure seen regular cheap poly tarps break down in short order.

Sounds like we may be on a similar schedule in the workshop over the winter. I'm about to start building my first wooden GBs this week, with hopes of getting a 10 x 20 GH up before winter is over. I've been reading the (convoluted) discussions at the Aussie site about various auto-siphon designs. What are you planning to use in your half barrels? I think I might do some experimenting in a 5 gal plastic bucket to try out a couple of designs.

At any rate, keep up the good work Dennis and thanks for the info.

Gary

Oldandfound1
11-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Thank you DIY. Two years have passed by since my last post. Your reminder email to let DIY know I was alive brought me here.
Seasons come and go. The Mrs. and I look out each day on a PVC framed AP greenhouse as yet still uncovered. Weeds have infiltrated the gravel flooring. Monies were invested in other ways, a 1963 Massey Ferguson Delux 35 tractor and a brush hog to open up pasture grounds two summers ago. It is a work in progress. That summer was taken up with the construction of a livestock barn and paddock area. We currently have 5 sheep, a goat, and have now 4 male Alpaca. All of them contribute to a growing inventory of processed fibers.
Last winter we had a fierce ice storm. For over 24 hours the sound of trees breaking, limbs snapping, and the ice pellets showering every detail of nature persisted until I knew the Summer of 2012 would be one of forest management. Maybe a hundred Alder trees damaged. We also have some 60 very mature Cedar trees which survived the storm. Some of next summer will be devoted to "The Woods"..
Still the frame of the greenhouse awaits. Still managed to have some inground vegetables this year. Pronounced frost on the ground this morning. But the cabbages and kale will only be sweeter.
Oldandfound1 Dennis

davidstcldfl
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi Dennis, nice to gear from you... :)