PDA

View Full Version : Hi from GI

aqualab
08-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Hello folks,
I am a high school aquaculture teacher with lots of oyster experience getting into aquaponics. I work for a high school that just opened the doors of its new facility on Governors Island. Previously we have been in Bushwick, brooklyn and it was def DIY. We had two 300 gallon growout tanks plumbed to an NFT channel with tomatoes. Decent yield in Bushwick, considering the poor light and rough conditions. Our new facility came with an aquaculture lab and Im working to stock and get it going this summer before the school year starts. Have a Mossie breeding colony and thinking of supplementing it with six more lady mossies and a male Hornorum. The lab has space to produce live food and Im wondering what you all thought about growing guppies for this purpose. Im open to other options and have seen posts about this but have not gotten into them in much detail. Ideally we'd grow small finfish and duckweed in line to produce a good portion of the diet and run that against commercial feeds and see how we do. As it is all for high school students educational value is more important than production. We are willing to make some sacrifices to make it interesting. That said our goal is to start serving our fish in the cafeteria by the spring.
Our primary growout is a 1200 recirc system built to handle .5 lbs/g.
I will work on getting pics up soon

Thoughts?

badflash
08-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Sounds good. I'm in NY and will help any way I can. Duckweed needs to be de-watered to be a serious feed. I'd love to team up with a brewpub.

JCO
08-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. As for guppies for feeders, green sailfin mollies are larger and produce more young on a regular bases.:mrgreen: