PDA

View Full Version : Hi from MI

aquacultureguy
08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi all,

I just joined the forum and I am loving these backyard and DIY systems people are posting, a lot of creative people here. Thanks for the inspiration!

about me:
I got into aquaculture a few years ago when I student taught a technology explorations class. At the time the school had a 600 gallon recirculating system. Since then I have kept up interest and kept the idea on the back burner until I had my own home. Well I just purchased a house last fall and decided to finally get into gear. I bought a 130 gallon tank of of CL and picked up a 100 Blue Tilapia fry 2 weeks ago. Last Thursday I ran into the teacher who was in charge of the aquaculture lab at the school I worked at and he told me that he had gotten bumped to a different position and had to disassemble system :cry: and asked me if I knew anyone who might be interested in some Red Claws. I of course told him I was and that I had just gotten some Tilapia. So today I went and helped him disassemble some components and came home with a cooler full of crays to add to my tank. I was able to get 6 adults, 2 male 4 female, and about a dozen juveniles :D . One of the females is already prego so I will setup an isolation tank for her. I'll try to get some pics up and start a thread when I get the chance, until then I'll just be asking questions ;)

Brad

badflash
08-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Glad to have you here. Screen the tilapia so they can't get at the red claws. Other than that, they are totally compatible,

JCO
08-05-2010, 05:49 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. :mrgreen:

aquacultureguy
08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I snaped a few pics, I'll start my own thread soon.

Screen the tilapia so they can't get at the red claws. Other than that, they are totally compatible,

At what size to the Tilapia become a problem for the Red Claws? Right now the Tilapia are about 1/2" and smaller.

Thanks

JCO
08-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Is that a baby red claw I see in the top picture...? Do you leave the babies with the bigguns'? :mrgreen:

badflash
08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
It is 1/2" to about 5" tilapia that are a problem. After that they don't show much interest in live food.

At what size to the Tilapia become a problem for the Red Claws? Right now the Tilapia are about 1/2" and smaller.

Thanks

jackalope
08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! Questions are always welcome, don't be too skeeered to ask, we don't bite (well, maybe one or two of us, but not all of us :lol: :lol: ) We love questions, and we especially love photos ;)

We have a great FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/faq.php) button for navigating the website controls, etc. at the top of the page, next to the "Members" button, please check it out if you haven't already done so.
We also have another FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=93) section which contains many of the hints and tips that have been collected along the way ..........
Before posting any URLs or emails, please take a look at the Forum Rules (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=103) .....
If you see something that you would like added to these FAQs, please let a moderator or admin know, and we'll discuss it and possibly add it to the list!

BTW, we have a special section for off-topic conversations called "The Sump" (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=102) to hopefully avoid crapping threads and keeping things on topic ;)

Once again, WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!: :!:

aquacultureguy
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Sorry my computer has been on the fritz for a while. I got 9 small ones in there with the large one's. I didn't really know what else to do as I only wanted the big one's but if I didn't take them they were destined for the toilet bowl. I placed a bunch of 3/4"-1 1/4" PVC fittings in there for them to hide in. So far so good they are all still alive.

Is that a baby red claw I see in the top picture...? Do you leave the babies with the bigguns'? :mrgreen:

badflash
08-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Every one you flush is like flushing a $5 bill....

aquacultureguy
08-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Every one you flush is like flushing a $5 bill....

Agreed, that's why I took them. I figured if nothing else I could pass them on to someone else. They all seem to be doing fine. Each one has it's own area staked out and the bigger ones and Tilapia seem to not even care about them. The big one's have been molting like crazy this week, and the Tilapia are at least 1" now. The redclaw that was prego when I got them gave birth and I have about 50 1/4" crayfish in a separate 2 gal tank. The mother is the smallest of the females that I have and I think she probably lost a few eggs in the transport, she also dropped them the day after they started to hatch, same day I put her in a separate tank. I had read the the young stayed attached to her for 1-2 weeks after hatching, but I guess not this time.