PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Aquamon
08-03-2010, 09:38 AM
OK, I'm not sure if I've posted on here but I know I've been absent for quite some time. I've been getting in trouble because I haven't posted (Trouble thorough emails from the admin). So I'm stopping in to say hello. I bought a house several months ago and am planning out my aquaponics setup. I may have the fish in the basement and the greens upstairs in an extra room. I'm not sure how much power that'll consume with the pump. I'm pretty excited about it all but am just unable to do it at this point in time. Money is lacking. Therefore it's just an idea right now.

davidstcldfl
08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Aquamon....welcome and thanks for posting... :D

(Trouble thorough emails from the admin).
Yeah.....that admin guy is kind of a pain...he thinks he owns the place or something... :P

I'm pretty excited about it all but am just unable to do it at this point in time. Money is lacking.
Your preaching to the choir.... :lol:

Oldandfound1
08-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Concepts like AP do not go away. When you are ready the knowhow will be available.
A lift of say 12 feet of head from basement to upstairs requires a strong pump but they are out there. I understand the bubble pumps while a bit more costly initally are cheaper to run. And with a one story drop to the sump, you will sure have a powerful venturi aereator opportunity.
Best wishes,
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Aquamon
08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I run salt water tanks so running crazy pumps is nothing new to me. I'd probably grab a big Iwaki and just go for it. I am not sure if I want to have all that humidity in my basement therefore I wanted to keep the room containing the fish small and put the plants upstairs. Plus I have an extra room upstairs and am running out of room downstairs. I really want to focus on a large fish growout with two 6x3 tables most likely and frequent water changes. I have to do 40% water changes on my salt water tanks so a big fresh water change is no more than pumping it to the wash basin and then just running fresh water back in. I've never seen chlorinated water affect my corals so I highly doubt it'll affect some tilapia and tomatoes.

Also with the water running down a floor I could set up a tall wet dry filter so that I could get even more biological filtration while it runs down which in turn means that I could house more fish.

I have a great three season room out back that would be perfect for it however it would for sure get too cold in the winter. With poor insulation, poor windows and heat only coming from the HPS, I can't imagine it fairing too well.